PDA

View Full Version : 7-9 moose ideas

island6
07-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Hey HBC,
My hunting group was lucky enough to draw 2 bull tags in MU 7-9 from Sept 10th-Nov 5th. We have not spent too much time around Prince George, currently we are looking through maps trying to find some good moose habitat and camping spots. Seeings as the MU is so close to civilization we are more then willing to put some mileage on the boots and get way away from the roads, and other hunters if needed. I have heard there is a fair amount of Private land in sections of the MU just wondering if this is correct?. If anyone has any other info on this area we would be much appreciative.

Thanks in advance
Island6

moosinaround
07-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Lots of crown land, very large MU. Moose in rut should be a slam dunk! Book a cooler, and plan some moose recipes! Can't see you going home without 2 moose, maybe some elk, and a whitie and mulie. It's one stop shopping!! Lucky!! Moosin

604redneck
07-18-2015, 02:27 PM
I hunted it 9 years ago first week of october and saw one cow in a week it was 25 degrees everyday.

moosinaround
07-18-2015, 02:29 PM
I hunted it 9 years ago first week of october and saw one cow in a week it was 25 degrees everyday.
moose don't melt like ice in the heat and disappear!! Trail cams don't lie, there's still moose around! Honest!! Moosin

StuBrown
07-18-2015, 03:09 PM
I suggest either going down the Buckhorn off of highway 97 and setting up down there or heading up Tabor Mountain off of highway 16. Both have places to camp. Tabor mountain is small but there are lots of trails off the road if you pay attention. Down the Buckhorn has a lot of roads you can drive.

Avalanche123
07-18-2015, 04:19 PM
moose don't melt like ice in the heat and disappear!! Trail cams don't lie, there's still moose around! Honest!! Moosin

LOL I agree. 9 yrs ago? Shit changes.

604redneck
07-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Ya i understand that ive hunted them a few times in my day lol i was just giving warning. Its definitely a more difficult hunt when its that warm and ya ur right things do change over 9 years the fresh cuts will be extremely thick and the stuff that hadnt been cut will probably be down. We did see 4 grizz countless black bears and 3 wolves oh and the 3 moose carcasses with just hind quarters taken.......we also met up with guys at another camp that had a cow draw and they had a really large cow hanging. My experience only comes from the 13 years since i was able to hunt and 5 years of guiding spending 30+ days a year strictly hunting. Bulls taken over 55" some over 60" 25 to -25 degrees ill tell you one thing if you get a cold snap they move more throughout the day.

island6
07-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, great stuff. We were wondering if bringing a small tin boat or canoe would be a benefit to the hunting as well as trying to catch some fish from it. Any thoughts?

Island6

canadiancon
07-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Have spent lots of time in 7:9, the MU can be very busy if your into road hunting, tabor mountain is good for moose, but you will need to get off the roads, it is very thick but does have moose. As stated above off the buckhorn can be good, again get off the beaten path as there is a ton of road traffic. Government lake off of the stone creek fsr would be a good base, or Francis or St Mary's lake off buckhorn road is also good for camping, but again the buckhorn is busy so putting the boots down will be needed.

markomoose
07-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I live in 7-09 and congrats on your draw.Stone Creek and Buckhorn Lake Road are great access points.Give those a try.LOTS of moose sign this spring bear hunting.As mentioned get off the beaten path and you WILL get your moose.If you need help PM ME before you come up.Try to give yourself at least a week or more. Cheers Mark Oh ya bring a mulie and bear tag as you won"t leave empty handed!!

moosinaround
07-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Ya i understand that ive hunted them a few times in my day lol i was just giving warning. Its definitely a more difficult hunt when its that warm and ya ur right things do change over 9 years the fresh cuts will be extremely thick and the stuff that hadnt been cut will probably be down. We did see 4 grizz countless black bears and 3 wolves oh and the 3 moose carcasses with just hind quarters taken.......we also met up with guys at another camp that had a cow draw and they had a really large cow hanging. My experience only comes from the 13 years since i was able to hunt and 5 years of guiding spending 30+ days a year strictly hunting. Bulls taken over 55" some over 60" 25 to -25 degrees ill tell you one thing if you get a cold snap they move more throughout the day.

No disrespect intended with my post. I never doubt a fellow hunters prowness. Seen some of the same things you have as well. My biggest moose is only a local 40", and a puny 39-1/2" er, so I got a bit of catching up to do?! Only been hunting in 7a for 20 or so years, every year, and I aint never been a guide, so my experience is only layman, not professional. its busy up here, in any MU close to PG. Now if I could get a LEH for a big bull every year around home, i'd eat a lot of moose, but I have had to settle for spike forks, mule deer, and elk, but dont feel bad, they are pretty tasty too! Anyways OP, come up and hunt around 7a, I'm sure I could point you into a couple spots that would get you seeing some sign, the rest is up to you! Moosin

GWiseman
08-09-2015, 10:50 PM
I also got this same draw. I was just up there scouting around and found lots of potential. First time ever in that area but I'm liking what I see. I'll be up around that area for the first couple weeks of october.

Mkfrancis
09-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Was just up in this area today, looked for some spots to set up early in the morning for moose (spike-fork) and deer. Was pretty busy. Thinking of heading south instead of going over the bridge tomorrow morning. Any tips or advise is much appreciated! First year hunting!

GWiseman
09-13-2015, 09:55 PM
I'll be up there for the first 2 weeks of October. It's gonna be a busy spot. Just gonna have to get out and find some spots to work and hope for the best

island6
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Just sorting out all of our gear before we head out this weekend for our moose trip. If anyone has any experience or advice on where to set up camp in MU 7-9 or where not to we would really appreciate it. Feel free to send a PM if that is easier. Really appreciate all the help from HBC!

Island6