PDA

View Full Version : 22 semi auto restrictions

srupp
07-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Hmmm been reading for over 2 hours..
Where can one find out if 22 rimfire rifles have restrictions on magazine sizes for hunting rabitt and grouse ?
Standard magazines are 10 shot capacity for the Remington 597 hb..believe the designation is semi auto? Its not the bolt action..
Thank you
Steven

Ps couldnt believe all the hoops for bringing an elk back from Alberta if successful..hooves , hair, heads..soft tiisue from meat ?..need to be 1/2 biologist..the other 1/2 laywer...

AlexPdHJ
07-18-2015, 12:22 AM
My understanding is that only shotguns have magazine restrictions unless you are using slugs in a region where slug hunting large game is permitted. I believe that rim fire doesn't have any mag size restriction for hunting game which may be hunted with rimfire. I'll post a link to the regs in a sec here.

AlexPdHJ
07-18-2015, 12:26 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Provincial_2014.pdf

page 14-17

Page 17 states:

It is unlawful to hunt with a set gun, or to hunt wildlife with a pump,
repeating or auto-loading shotgun with a magazine capable of holding
more than two shells. Where the use of a shotgun is allowed for
hunting or trapping big game, an unplugged shotgun holding more than
2 shells and firing single projectiles only (slugs) may be used

Gateholio
07-18-2015, 12:27 AM
No magazine restrictions for rifles exist in the BC Hunting laws

AlexPdHJ
07-18-2015, 12:27 AM
As long as the magazine isn't prohibited in Canada then I believe you are fine for hunting.

M.Dean
07-18-2015, 07:35 AM
There's a 100 round drum a guy can buy for your 10-22, and with all the dangers that come with stocking bunny rabbits and grouse, I highly recommend you get one! Couple extra loaded drums in your fanny pack should make a guy feel quite safe out there too!!!

boxhitch
07-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Can't figure why there would be any limit on mags for hunting anything anywhere
Some guys need a minimum number .....

srupp
07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys,, do appreciate the reply..must have tried for 2 hours too tired maybe read right over it..
The rifles standard clip is 10 rounds...only for trigger practice..bunnies..grouse for Ebony

Cheers
Steven..Ebony

Edzzed
07-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Can't figure why there would be any limit on mags for hunting anything anywhere
Some guys need a minimum number .....
What if a terrorist is hunting people. Not only would I want limits on mags but I'd also want to be very far away Like at least 10 miles away.

troutseeker
07-19-2015, 02:33 PM
What if a terrorist is hunting people. Not only would I want limits on mags but I'd also want to be very far away Like at least 10 miles away.

can you say paranoia? Lol

260rem
07-23-2015, 08:16 AM
The only rimfire that has a mag restriction is the Mossberg 715T because they now make a 715 pistol that uses the same mags which now makes the 25 round mags illegal in Canada,so the are restricted to 10rnd.Guy I work with sent his 715 away for repairs with the 25rnd mag in it and it came back with a 10 rnd in place and a letter stated this new law in Canada.Bunch of BS for sure

Gateholio
07-23-2015, 08:45 AM

Why do you think a criminal with murderous intent would concern himself with magazine capacity laws?

The ONLY people effected by it is the legitimate gun owner.

Gateholio
07-23-2015, 08:48 AM
The only rimfire that has a mag restriction is the Mossberg 715T because they now make a 715 pistol that uses the same mags which now makes the 25 round mags illegal in Canada,so the are restricted to 10rnd.Guy I work with sent his 715 away for repairs with the 25rnd mag in it and it came back with a 10 rnd in place and a letter stated this new law in Canada.Bunch of BS for sure

It's not law. It's how some RCMP guy and Mossberg interpreted it. It is BS though....

ACB
07-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Hmmm been reading for over 2 hours..
Where can one find out if 22 rimfire rifles have restrictions on magazine sizes for hunting rabitt and grouse ?
Standard magazines are 10 shot capacity for the Remington 597 hb..believe the designation is semi auto? Its not the bolt action..
Thank you
Steven

Ps couldnt believe all the hoops for bringing an elk back from Alberta if successful..hooves , hair, heads..soft tiisue from meat ?..need to be 1/2 biologist..the other 1/2 laywer...
It's to try to keep CWD out of B.C., hopefully. I got a last day eater buck from Sask. a few years a go and had to the same thing, completely deboned and scull cap devoid of any soft tissue buy either boiling out or soaking in bleach.

Daka
07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
It has to do something with Ruger mags. The original mags for Ruger rimfire pistols fits 10/22 as well and they are prohibited because of it. I think rest of the mags like butler creek dont fit the pistols are OK

Edzzed
07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Why do you think a criminal with murderous intent would concern himself with magazine capacity laws?

The ONLY people effected by it is the legitimate gun owner. What makes you think the terrorist or criminal would be MALE. And no any terrorist or criminal would not concern themselves with mag capacity. They'd probably get a US AK47 and accompanying mag. Or mags as in plural.

russm
07-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Don't bother getting the 25 shot mag for the 597, I've got one (the remington one) and it feeds like crap, I'm not sure if there's other ones or not, I just use a few of the 10 shots.

Gateholio
07-23-2015, 09:40 PM
What makes you think the terrorist or criminal would be MALE. And no any terrorist or criminal would not concern themselves with mag capacity. They'd probably get a US AK47 and accompanying mag. Or mags as in plural.

So you agree mag capacity restrictions are useless.

TPK
07-24-2015, 08:51 AM
No magazine restrictions for rifles exist in the BC Hunting laws

I thought semi-auto center fire was limited to 5? but that it was a Federal thing not Provincial (as are most hunting regs, one exception being migratory game birds). I realize we're in a thread about .22 rifles and that restriction does not apply to rimfire, but just wanted to make sure no one reading is miss lead.

Gateholio
07-24-2015, 01:11 PM
I thought semi-auto center fire was limited to 5? but that it was a Federal thing not Provincial (as are most hunting regs, one exception being migratory game birds). I realize we're in a thread about .22 rifles and that restriction does not apply to rimfire, but just wanted to make sure no one reading is miss lead.

I am referring to BC Hunting regulations.

For instance you could hunt with a non restricted .223 semi auto rifle that uses 10 round LAR pistol magazines.

TPK
07-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying Gatehouse, appreciated.