PDA

View Full Version : Junior Hunting license for Leh?

randymac
07-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok
so I put my grandson thru the core course a couple years ago and my son, grandson and I have put in for shared moose hunts each year since.
Since we hadn't won a draw and we only get to go hunting one week every year and since my grandson doesn't have a pal and has to be with me at all times I have just bought my grandson a junior hunting license and he has hunted under my tags.
This year we win the shared moose draw and again we only have a week. Does anybody know if can I buy him a junior hunting license again as he is just about to turn 16 and I will have a license and tag and my son will also. My Grandson will be with me at all times and wont be hunting any other time this year so it seems like an extra expense in addition to all the insurance and gas and all the other expenses.
Its great to hunt with your kid and grandkids but for some reason they think its great for Grandpa to finance the trip.

GoatGuy
07-16-2015, 06:55 PM
He is allowed a youth license until he is 17 now, but that counts under your bag limit. If he bought a youth license he could legally hunt under your license and tag (in this case LEH).

Having said that he was one half of the LEH application and the 'spirit' of the shared hunt is that you both put in ( one half with his hunter number), so it is probably more consistent with the spirit of the process for him to have his own license and tag, but it appears there is no legal issue.

Good luck and have fun. Great to hear people taking their grandkids out.

M.Dean
07-16-2015, 09:01 PM
My Grandson has had his own License and tag's since he was 10 years old, he's 16 and will have his own this year also. All's you need to buy a hunting license is a hunters number, which he has, if your Grandson has a hunters number, take him to the nearest place you can buy a license and buy him one, or better yet, let him buy his first one! Good luck with your moose draw, and if you don't mind me asking, what area will you guys be hunting? Never know, someone on here might have a few tips about that spot!

j270wsm
07-16-2015, 09:45 PM
I though you had to buy your own license once you passed your core course.

Steeleco
07-16-2015, 10:01 PM
I though you had to buy your own license once you passed your core course.

Nope, the only advantage to getting your own license is the ability to cut your own tags. If it's one trip as my daughter did last fall, I got her a junior and saved a few bucks. Only need one deer anyway!!

PhotoShot
08-15-2015, 09:08 AM
I read in the regs just today the following...

"Non-resident qualifications for a Youth
Hunting Licence are the same with the excep-
tion that they may not hunt for wildlife for
which a Limited Entry Hunting authorization is
required."

I also read that a youth hunting license applies to "is 10 years of age or older and under the age of 18." so this is my dilemma.

I have a 17 year old in Ontario who has been asking me for over five years to take him hunting out here in BC. Unfortunately both my tags are LEHs which, as stated above he would not qualify for a youth license on. If he's not carrying a rifle, could I take him along to observe or leave him in camp? I'm a bit uncertain about how to accommodate him legally and would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Steeleco
08-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Let him pack a rifle, buy a tag for another animal that is GOS while you hunt your LEH. He can shoot the non LEH in your pocket and no matter the outcome he's hunting legally with his big buddy.

PhotoShot
08-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Thank you Steeleco, that should have seemed obvious to me.

Peter Pepper
08-15-2015, 09:06 PM
I wish my Grampa had taken me hunting.
Oh well, at least his stories about hunting inspired me to become a hunter.