PDA

View Full Version : crow calls and turkey

4blade
04-22-2007, 07:42 AM
went out turkey hunting sat looking to arrow my first turkey,on my way to the spot i had in mind i jumped numerous spike bulls and cows and deer so the day was great to begin with.after another 5min of walking i could hear the faint sound of a tom gobbling away ,as i got closer i realized he was going call for call with a bunch of crows flying overhead.he was just over the side of a little ridge from me so i quickly set up my jake and hen decoy.we exchanged calls for about ten min when he shows up and runs right for my decoys in full strut,fearing for the life of my decoys i let him have at 12 yds and he dropped on the spot,he was so focused on the decoys he didn,t see me at all.pic is in my gallery 5" beard ,going cook him up tonight

TRACKnTRAIL
04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Congratulations!! We had the same thing happen with the crows when we took our turkeys. Not sure why they do this, it almost seems like they annoy each other. Maybe someone on here can answer this?

interceptor
04-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Well done 4B,

Cheers Noel

Chuck
04-22-2007, 09:56 AM
There you go 4B! Now I hope all you other hopeful turkey hunters get your birds soon. I understand that in a few years when they get educated they won't be so easy to hunt anymore and much more time and effort will be required. As for the question? Maybe they are related to seagulls - when one squawks, they all squawk LOL. Anyone know a fool-proof recipe for these critters? Cheers!

ARC
04-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Congrats 4blade, I had heard you got one. I went out and got one myself yesterday. He was a decent size, about 18-20 lbs and a 9 1/2 inch beard. He was with a couple hens and another smaller tom. I actually spooked them at first and watched them run onto a small ridge. I did a big loop to get around them and as I crested a small creek draw they were all still sitting up on top.

Its cool that you called yours in, none of the birds I saw the last couple of days were really responding to my hen call. They would sometimes answer, but just wouldn't come in. They have been hunted hard and pushed around a fair bit where I was though, so maybe they were a little extra wary. Congrats again.

300H&H
04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Congrats 4Blade.
So what happened to hunting with your bow ? What region/area did ya get um?

4blade
04-22-2007, 06:15 PM
i did get him with my bow 100 gr 4 blade muzzy 2317 easton out of mathews ovation 12 yds. arrow landed about 10 ft behind him he dropped on the spot severed spinal where neck meets body .roasted him in the oven tonight draped in bacon inside a cooking bag friggin awesome. my son wants to go try for one now .goodluck and good hunting

SavageShooter
04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
4blade good thing you were using 2317's, I heard you need a lot of momentum to get through those tough Kootenay birds.:lol:

SS