PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting

HuntingSince2001
07-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Hey guys so i am brand new to hunting and will be going hunting with my grandfather in the kootneys for elk this season and was wondering if the are any special areas around there with a lot of elk any advice is appreciated!

blaker_99
07-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Well seeing this is one of your first posts I'm pretty certain most of the Elk vets won't be giving up much info. Best advice is to lace the boots up and put in some serious scouting in the pre season and hike your butt off come sept oct and listen carefully they will most likely tell you where they are if you're in the right general area. Use the search bar and look for previous posts like yours they have some info in them.

HuntingSince2001
07-16-2015, 01:46 PM
thank you so much

Mikey Rafiki
07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Any area with hills, water, trees and grass hold a lot of elk :)

But in all seriousness, take a look on Google Earth and find any decent size drainage coming off a main valley, drive up the FSR and there will be elk. I haven't found a place where there aren't any. Also, I often avoid the special areas with LOTS of elk because they often come with even more hunters.

If you haven't found a spot you want to check out by the time season starts, send me a PM and I will give you some hints, or direct you to H-47's trail camera.

J_T
07-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Any area with hills, water, trees and grass hold a lot of elk :)

But in all seriousness, take a look on Google Earth and find any decent size drainage coming off a main valley, drive up the FSR and there will be elk. I haven't found a place where there aren't any. Also, I often avoid the special areas with LOTS of elk because they often come with even more hunters.

If you haven't found a spot you want to check out by the time season starts, send me a PM and I will give you some hints, or direct you to H-47's trail camera.I was thinking just that...

HuntingSince2001
07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks a lot man info is greatly appreciated !

HuntingSince2001
07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks a lot man info is greatly appreciated