PDA

View Full Version : Alberta elk draw

srupp
07-16-2015, 02:44 AM
Alberta bull elk draw..
Its 2:30 am just recieved the news that I drew one of the Alberta Suffield military base area bull elk draws!
The bad news its only for 3 days..and its in January..can you say cold..lol
First my first pronghorn hunt in Alberta last year..picking up the finished mount in 2 weeks in Red Deer from Sugar creek taxidermy..Marco Pilon .
Now my first Alberta bull elk 8 years priority..
Thank you Springer for looking out for me and submitting my app. And hunter hosting me yet again.
Cheers
Steven

Rackmastr
07-16-2015, 03:22 AM
Should be an interesting hunt for sure. A lot of unknowns with what kind of bulls are going to get shot, how the bulls will react, hunter success, and all the other variables with a hunt like that on the base. Some giant bulls there for sure, and a TON of elk. There will be some big big bulls that will come and go in and out of no-hunting zones in the base so a guy never knows what you could end up with!

srupp
07-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Hmm seen some of the bigger bulls last year..lots of elk but anything can happen..they put out like 1,000 tags so they want a lot gone have been hearing 7,000 elk in the area?
Get down couple days early for scouting...and my wife wants to come sherpa...!,
Will be fun.
Srupp

sheephunterab
07-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately no scouting is permitted. The hunt is a real crap shoot. I suspect way more hunters will go elkless and disappointed than successful and happy but there is that remote chance of killing an absolute monster of a bull. Good luck and hope you find a dandy!

srupp
07-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately no scouting is permitted. The hunt is a real crap shoot. I suspect way more hunters will go elkless and disappointed than successful and happy but there is that remote chance of killing an absolute monster of a bull. Good luck and hope you find a dandy!
Hmm thanks , appreciate the heads up..but I do get to try..
I watched your dall sheep hunt yesterday..Vanessa is sure brutal on her pants seat..lol but again great ram..keep up the exceptional episodes.
Will post photos if successful..it will be fun..
Srupp

srupp
07-16-2015, 02:35 PM
So here are the posted numbers..
17,000 applications to hunt these elk
7,000 elk on the base
1,160 permits issued
50% of those are cows..antlerless
Most guys are knterested in the monster bull elk dying of old age

Last year the indians killed truck loads of monster bull elk leaving truck loads of meat on the fields.
Will still be ÷%_€£_=÷÷÷!,,,! Indians there for large racks in addition to 1,160 hunters
Steven

sheephunterab
07-16-2015, 02:57 PM
I suspect the First Nations rumors were a bit over blown. Sure they killed several hundred elk but the number of monster elk wasn't that great. There are still plenty on the base. I suspect they will be back this year as well. It sounds like 100 licenced bull hunters per season. You are right about you having the opportunity to try. I'm kind of kicking my butt for not applying now. Sounds like some pretty low priorities were drawn for January hunts. It one of those hunts where I wouldn't expect much but you could be very pleasantly surprised if the right bull happens to wander out in front of you. The company will be good regardless!

Duk Dog
07-16-2015, 04:56 PM
A high gamble draw but with the potential for an absolutely world class bull. Be interesting to see how it goes.

srupp
07-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Hmm without high risks do not result in porential high rewards..seen cranker bulls last sept..
Dont have any BC draws..
Srupp

hunteryad
07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
I was born and raised in alberta, still go back there for my moose and elk. Northern alberta area..

sheephunterab
07-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Will post photos if successful..
Srupp

Ah ya, no photos permitted on the base either....lol

Blacktail
07-17-2015, 04:51 PM
What are your dates
I got a bull draw in the block for Jan 25-27
There are still some decent bulls there
should be some snow there and hopefully will be bulls left

srupp
07-17-2015, 06:20 PM
What are your dates
I got a bull draw in the block for Jan 25-27
There are still some decent bulls there
should be some snow there and hopefully will be bulls left

Hmm thats the same draw dates for Phil and myself..January 25..26..27th

Cheers
Steven

Blacktail
07-18-2015, 06:03 AM
may be we could hunt together
when you guys gonna be here and where you stating?

IronNoggin
07-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Hmm thats the same draw dates for Phil and myself..January 25..26..27th

Congratulations Steve!! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

PM Sent ;)

Cheers,
Matt

srupp
07-18-2015, 09:38 PM
may be we could hunt together
when you guys gonna be here and where you stating?

Hmm congrads on your draw also...just an old BC paramedic dont know anytuing but plenty of big old elk last sept near the base..dont know if the draw is limeted to the 22 ranches that combined to make the base? We only just learned of our drawing the 2 tags 48 hours ago so we will chat Phil and I about hotels in the area and finding a map of the zone.there is no access for presvouting? So makes it short and sweet..with 1160 hunters prior to our hunt they should be thinned out and run hard..sneaky hidey holes or off limit areas or?
My lovely wife Susan who walkes 10..12 kms 4x a week has insisted she come sherpa for me...or as Susan said " whose going to pack the elk to the truck, you?....pleeeease" lol..

Anyone that has info on this area or hunt please send me a pm..did I mention Please..
Send ph number and I will call.
Only hunted elk on ranches in the peace River....but willing to try..and to learn.
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
07-19-2015, 12:01 AM
You'll be hunting right on the military base...not a private ranch...that's why all the special restrictions....ie no scouting, no photos, check in for meeting every day, off limit areas, daily closures....etc.

srupp
07-19-2015, 01:20 AM
You'll be hunting right on the military base...not a private ranch...that's why all the special restrictions....ie no scouting, no photos, check in for meeting every day, off limit areas, daily closures....etc.

Hmmm thank you, always there great accurate useful information.
Not setting my levels too high, seriously excited about this hunt..sure 1160 tags will have hone in before us..however there are approx 7,000 elk there.
Would love to just get another delicous elk for me and share with my sisters familly..if its antlers add up to BIG..thats extra..the hunt with Phil is always fun.
And having my lovely physically fit wife willing to help ..first time to travel with me to hunt! Bonus!
Sheephunterab..your fans here in BC want more grizzly..whitetail..moose.elk...Please?
Thanks
Steven

Blacktail
07-19-2015, 06:44 AM

Yuppers TJ is right.
You wont be able to pre-scout as the military base wont let you on the land if you are not hunting there
you can get out and walk if you want but its a big area and there will be snow on the ground and its pretty open country with rolling dips and hills
They are also not fond of a truck full of people and prefer two per truck and like to limit the numbers of people going in for these hunts.
there are off limit areas and no hunting/shooting areas as well that you will have to abide by.
I have been on two cow hunts over the last couple years and at the end of January they will be bunched up in herds of 200-400 animals

Because of the what happened last year you might not get a monster like what has been seen in there in the past but there will be ones with good bone on them.
My plan was to hold out for a good one if possible for the first couple days and tag out with any bull on the third

Springer
07-20-2015, 11:16 AM
See you there Blacktail.... I'm just happy to go on the Base and see all the other game there, Whiteys ,Pronghorn , Muleys that have never been hunted..I to will hold out , that is Until Steve and my son Nathan get theirs..Not sure where the access into 732 is yet but I assume its one way in and one way out once you sign in..
Just leave lots of room in that Big Ford Diesel Burner to stuff some Elk into
the back Steve.

Blacktail
07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
I have hunted in the Springer
you wont see too many other game in there at that time of the year
The deer will be in the environmental area in the scrub or in near the river and pronhorns will likely have migrated out

Springer
07-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Yes Blacktail I bet they have taken their passport and crossed the US border but they don't all leave...
.Heres hoping for little snow in January but enough to follow tracks. Just really wished I could have brought the Camera for some video footage...Oh well still very Happy just for the Base Opportunity to Hunt . I have a 330" on the wall and would Love to beat that score but I wont be to fussy to come home empty handed...Nathan and Steve get first dibs ....unless he's "That Guy" !!;-)

Gr8 white hunter
07-22-2015, 12:42 PM
So are we aloud to have a BC and Alberta hunting licence??

hunteryad
07-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Yes, I have both. Going on a hunt in bc early sept, then a hunt in Alberta Mid sept. I have had a WIN card in alberta for many years(born raised there). It does cost a lot as a non resident, example my bull elk tag to hunt in alberta is $160 and you cant apply for every draw like a (alberta) resident can. You also need whats called a hunter host from Alberta in order to apply for the draws and hunt. Hope this helps

Rackmastr
07-22-2015, 02:23 PM

You can have a hunting license from several states and provinces at once. Different jurisdictions have different rules obviously, but its not uncommon for a person to have a handful of different license from different provinces/states.

sheephunterab
07-22-2015, 07:56 PM
As long as only one is a resident licence.

srupp
08-13-2015, 12:22 PM
hmmmm scouted the area 48 hrs ago...100 bull elk,,,some 300..some 350..some 370..a couple....pushing 400..scouting lasted 20 minutes..lol

what an exceptional bachelor group..did not see any of the 6,000 cows, calves..nor the 2,400 other bulls..

cheers
steven

IronNoggin
08-13-2015, 02:27 PM
..did not see any of the 6,000 cows, calves..nor the 2,400 other bulls..

They're there. My Partner had another look following your report the other day. He is PLEASED with what he saw... :wink:

Back to you soon...

Cheers,
Nog

Blacktail
08-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Steven
was good to meet up with you and Phil on Monday night
will keep in touch for sure

srupp
08-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks Roy..my pleasure to meet you and your wife Cindy..you are a fountain of knowledge..that led usto those 100 bull elk..we have some video..will send some when I get to BC and my home computer..
Thanks again Roy..
Cheers
Steven..Susan Rupp
Phil 50 years old on friday 14th August..lol

srupp
08-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Hmm what do you guys consider respectful elk rack for mounting? Im in it to bring back an elk..it tastes yummy..but chance at a big bull..some 400s in there..
So what constitutes a trophy sized rack? 330? 350? 370?
Steven

IronNoggin
08-28-2015, 06:56 PM
I'll be right interested in the responses to this question Buddy!

BTW - don't forget to shoot me your cell number. In fact, do it soon.
Have a picture from today I will text you that will get your mojo going... ;-)

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
08-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Hmmm pm sent Matt....
Steven

srupp
08-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Hmm some of the videos suggest 360 as thats book elk?
Steven

IronNoggin
08-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Hmm some of the videos suggest 360 as thats book elk?
Steven

360" is the Boone & Crockett minimum Net score for typical elk.

One that size looks like this:

http://elk101.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Chappell-9.jpg

There are many sites on the net to help you figure out score "on the hoof".
This one is worth a quick boo IMO: https://www.elk101.com/features/field-judging-elk/

Scores mean different things to different folks. For myself, I am much more interested in the overall or Gross Score as it tells the tale of just how much antler is really there.

For Suffield, think 350+ - They are there!!

Interesting photo from 2 days ago - in our zone. Poor quality due to cell phone, but methinks you can see what you need to:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/Hunting/Elk_1.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
08-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Omg! Thats some serious antler!
Thanks Matt.
Steven

Springer
08-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Ya !! Got my attention now Matt !! I sooooo wish we could Pick up Sheds on the base in the Spring..but for whatever reason they have to stay there , just like no photos..Thanks for sharing Noggin , but how are we ever going to sleep now with that engrained in our minds.

sheephunterab
09-02-2015, 04:11 AM
A 340+ bull always looks good on the wall!

BiG Boar
09-02-2015, 06:43 AM
trophy is all relative to the beholder. I am getting my elk from last year mounted. Its just drying now. It is a 330 bull gross. For the area I got it, and what it brings back for memories of an amazing trip, I had it mounted. Taxidermy ain't worth squat once you're dead, so don't think its an investment. If you like it, and more importantly, if you have space for it, consider a mount. Otherwise, an elk euro is a great second option. They take up way less wall space, and it makes the horn look even bigger.

Rackmastr
09-02-2015, 08:29 AM
When I had a good prairie draw a handful of years ago, I tried to set my sights on a 350" bull. What I wanted was a good representative prairie elk and figured the zone could produce that number. That being said, I sure didn't make a decision based on 'inches' and when I saw my bull I was impressed with what he had up top and made a very quick choice to take him. I passed up a 330" bull earlier that morning and 12 other bulls before taking mine. He scored 360" gross and I had him shoulder mounted. As BigBoar pointed out, they take up a pile of room. At times I have wished I had euro mounted it, but I do enjoy looking up on the wall at him and re-living that hunt.

srupp
09-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys..I will only be able to find room..and permission for one elk in the home..wife insists..probably just euro..
That being said these Suffield base tags will be a yearly thing..with 2 years getting you a tag...every second year..they need 4,000 elk harvested each year.
Seen Phils 330 elk..ya thats good.where else am I going to have a decent chance at 2,500 bull elk...with the largest group of 350....400 anywhere.
Great thought process bigbore..

Steven

DANOSON
09-02-2015, 01:23 PM
srupp how did you pull this off. I tried to apply and working on a base here in BC I have all the security clearance but I was told by the province of Alberta that you had to be a resident and that there was no tags for non res?

Rackmastr
09-02-2015, 01:25 PM
srupp how did you pull this off. I tried to apply and working on a base here in BC I have all the security clearance but I was told by the province of Alberta that you had to be a resident and that there was no tags for non res?

Need to apply with a resident, as srupp did. If you have any Antlered Elk priority in Alberta, then you can apply with a resident.

srupp
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM

Hmm applying for Alberta elk with 8 years priority..not the only BC guy, nor am I the only hbc member with the draw..my hunter host and his son and I drew the tags also...
We will just do the best we can to bring good meat home with no additives or hormones pumped in.
Its a meat hunt amongst 8,500 animals...2,500 of them bulls...and some of them be monsters..
Srr

IronNoggin
09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
..not the only BC guy, nor am I the only hbc member with the draw..

Drew with only three years priority. :-D

With the amount of priority points this hunt gobbled up this season, the odds are pretty good the draw in the next few years will be damn near 'random". I'm thinking Steven is right on this, and it may well prove possible to draw there once every second or third year. I will of course be applying again!

Few pix that were posted on the other site for your viewing pleasure:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q236/canuck2_photo/6_zpsum3bxgb8.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q236/canuck2_photo/image3_zps56jcudha.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q236/canuck2_photo/3_zpslftinybj.jpg

Like the forecast: Meat hunt with possibility of Monsters! LOL!

Cheers,
Nog

Ferenc
09-03-2015, 09:55 AM
You have to wonder if it was like that during the Lewis and Clark trek.. Wow some nice ones !!

sheephunterab
09-04-2015, 03:44 PM
If they continue with the hunt, I suspect this tag will continue to be relatively easy to draw...other than the very first season that is. I see that one staying pretty popular. I suspect lots of the later hunts will draw out with lots at zero priority. It was interesting that they included non-residents in this hunt as they don't on the Wainwright base hunt.

srupp
09-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Hmmm heard today that natives are already at it shooting the shit out on the base..maybe non left by the time BC native..walks with limp in both legs..arrives?
I thought that the natives were feb ? Not..sept..oct jov..dec..jan ?
Anyone know ?

Dont know TJ..how it worked..however with 1160 tags..and 50% of those being cow tags alloeing tjose hunters to harvest 2 cows each..could be 2200 elk harvested natives might double that..theres the 4000 elk they wanted harvested.
Just gets curiouser and curiouser. .

Walks with limp in both legs

IronNoggin
09-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Natives are NOT on the base yet Steven.
They have been shooting in areas outside the fence, and I have heard of a couple good ones that have gone down that way. :(

Unclear as to "when" they might be allowed to hunt the base itself. What I was told was as you heard: February and after.

Only just over 500 Bull Tags (antlered for those who want to be picky) allocated to non-FN's and 2,500 Bulls (minimum) there.
Unless they let the FN's run full amok (which I don't believe they will) there WILL be some good ones "left over" to choose from :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
09-04-2015, 07:00 PM
I suspect they will be in there during all open seasons as they were in 2014.

srupp
09-04-2015, 07:36 PM
MATT..is it time yet? Lol..so diificult knowing all those months of hunting..all the tags...and ihave to be patient till last...snivel..pout..I am cheering for the big boyz to hide till they think its over..

All I need is one, plus 2for Miner League outdoors team.
Steven

Springer
09-10-2015, 12:27 AM
I am just hoping the snow is only 8 inches deep , its only -5 and theres still some left for us ...

srupp
09-10-2015, 02:42 AM
We always get in done Brother..always..spotting scope, tripod left today..should be there 3 days.
Its awfully nice of you to quit your job and spend 4 months watching for the big 390s and using that special paint that glows with the eyeglasses..the spotting scope should help emensly...
Let me know when the scope, paint and eyeglasses show up?

The paint glow should be seen at 3 miles..and washes off in 6 months, absolutley need the glasses to see the paint..should be 200 paintballs specially loaded

Randy..lol

Springer
09-10-2015, 11:57 PM
For sure , thanks for the use of the Spotter ..Again !
We always picture how the hunt will be and how it will turn out...Mother nature will decide for us ..
Still half the fun is in the planning and the other half the hunt'n.
Cross your fingers , next weekend Blaze and I will put the spotter to work looking for his Elk in the Mountains , where there used to be Elk before the Wolves and Cat's thinned them out...Bonus is it will be in Sheep country.

srupp
11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Hmmm turned into a real shyt show at the registration.
Only 100 hunters were allocated tags..this week..bull elk..some guys burned 12 years of senority for 3 day hunts.
The 100 tags were for safety reasons.
The check in mandatory meeting at Rolston was at 0600.
At 8 am still had 300 outside..hmmm
Yup first nations 400 showed up...no tag no draw..no concern for safety..what a .............
Hmm should have asked just the tag holders in.
Gave em the safety speach..maps..
THEN BLOCK THE ACCESS WITH..A COUPLE TANKS.
WHAT A JOKE!
Yup Im the idiot who burned a decade..10 years senority for this?.............
Pi $$ ed
Steven Rupp

srupp
11-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Hmm I got the Willie Wonka gold card invite..they didnt..looks like even the Canadian army caved..
Pretty sad..
But then thats NDP jurisdiction..union first nations?

srupp
11-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Hmm..on a Alberta site..from 6.30 pm..at least 75 pickups filled with fine upstanding first nations loaded to the hilt with trophy elk..
Hmm may indeed hit that elusive 4,000 elk harvest. .maybe even one by a tag holder..
So much for controlled hunt with safety..one witnessed a volly fire of weapons..with one elk left dead ..unclaimed. ..

Sad

Blacktail
11-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I thought your hunt wasn't till January

srupp
11-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Its not..remember same week as ewe.Residents on the hunt advised to look at your Provincial website for the gong show .
I really am phoning to see if I can 999 this hunt and recapture my 10 years priority some REAL unhappy hunters.
Hope all is well ?
Is there a difference between my.338 win mag and the not allowed .338 lapua?
Steven

todbartell
11-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Is there a difference between my.338 win mag and the not allowed .338 lapua?
Steven

same bullet diameter, different cartridge. 338wm lags behind the Lapua by about 200 fps

srupp
11-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks Mark.
Srupp

Blacktail
11-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Read a bunch of stuff on Alberta Outdoors from the hunt gong show.
Gotta watch that sight as there is a lot of rhetoric and bashing that goes on and take some of it with a grain of salt as they say.
The hunt registration has always been a bit of a gong show and I guess this year the FN part just made it more of a pain.
I do know that the Brits have been out of the field for about a week and there is still a lot of cleanup of equipment on the range where the were doing maneuvers which could be the reason for some closed areas. Not gonna be any elk in those zones anyway with that amount of activity.
Don't think it will be possible for you and Phil to get back your priority now that the draw is done.

All is fairly well here and you guys gotta stop in and have a beer when you come down.

Rackmastr
11-03-2015, 10:44 AM
From talking to a buddy who was there yesterday, it sure sounded like a 'fun' cull for sure lol. Guys shooting over eachother, stealing elk from eachother, chasing elk in trucks, bailing from vehicles and shooting into herds, dead elk left, elk being ran back and forth along roads. Ah yes....fun times.

Some of the closed areas sound like they will be open, and as the hunts get deeper and deeper some of the FN pressure is bound to drop. Man, yesterday didn't sound like a fun place to be, even for a cull elk shoot. Hopefully some big bulls last through the seasons and guys still have an enjoyable time in the later hunts when the pressure has dropped a bit.

srupp
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Hmmm yes..still Nov..Dec..Jan till my hunt.....lol..hope one is left...
Thanks guys..
Roy certainly will ....still trying to convince Susan that I need a new knife...damascus..with either sheep or muskox ...
Hope you and familly are fine..still those early mornings..sheeesh..
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
11-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Friends are there right now and they said they had opportunities at 330-340 bulls but nothing really big. It did sound like a gong show for sure.

IronNoggin
11-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Easy Steven EASY! Don't get all panicky Buddy!
The gong show that just occurred was fully expected. Only "wild card" was the addition of the FN's.
This will die down as the latter get "sated" and wander off.
More areas will open (more on that via pm) and there WILL be Good Bulls when you and I get over there.

Take a deep breath, play with your rifle a little more, and sharpen your knives.
This game is very much going to Happen! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
11-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Hmmmm thanks Matt..maybe if the Alberta govt in allowing our esteemed first nation individuals in the military base would just remove the heads prior to leaving the base..after all its for sustenance..food usage. .however not onefirdt nation truck had a harvested cow...just massive bulls..stinks
The base put the limit at 100 hunters at a time for safety sake..by accounts that hit 400 plus today..
Srupp

sheephunterab
11-03-2015, 08:28 PM
This truly has zero to do with the Alberta government. It's 100%federal jurisdiction. There are elk of all sizes and both sexes being killed by the FN hunters.

srupp
11-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Hmm lol..the WIN system said they just print the tags..its Alberta f..w..in speaking with them also today they said its all feds..in speaking with Suufield folks..they point back to f..w for Alberta ...
No one wants to own this mess..
Wasnt there but those who were.glad they left..first opportunity bang..start the car start the car..
Too bad..it was a brilliant plan ruined by , lack of testicular fortitude..
Time will tell..for this week 100 bull tags..for today 173 bulls registered..that doesnt include yesterday, or tommorrows results..nor cows..
Just my oppinion..
Steven

sheephunterab
11-03-2015, 08:58 PM
FN hunting rights are federal jurisdiction. The base is federal jurisdiction. The base is allowing the FN hunters access.

sheephunterab
11-03-2015, 09:25 PM
This is a cull hunt and the desire is to kill a lot of elk in a short period of time. I know a lot of guys applied with the hopes of killing a giant bull and undoubtedly some will but this has never been a trophy hunt. With what went on last year on the base it should come as no surprise it's happening this year. I understand the frustration of the licenced hunters but what's going on should be no real surprise. For those that drew tags, you paid your money and took your chances. I'm sure that gamble will pay off big for a few but you should have known it would be a crap shoot going in. Good luck to those with tags...you never know what might happen.

srupp
11-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks..I did get a call from Alberta F....W..they loved the idea of those demanding access for sustenence hunts..be allowed to shoot and harvest their animal..however the heads will need to be left at the base for CWD investigation and it was a sustenence hunt not trophy.
I certainly bet next week when its cow's draw..not giing to be 400 extra natives.
The issue is also onenof safety..a lot of the base was just vacated from training..not swept for safety..hence not the 100 expected hunters..for safety..but 500 SHOOTERS..pose a safety and LEGAL scenario..if someone gets shot
Yes it was a cull hunt but organized for safety and fairness. .the rules were established but not enforced.
By the way I seriously love your shows..more bears and sheep?
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
11-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I certainly bet next week when its cow's draw..not giing to be 400 extra natives.

Cheers
Steven

The FN hunters can shoot whatever they want during the antlerless season. Heck they can blast mule deer and antelope on the base if they so desire. The supreme court decided that. Just because it's an antlerless hunt for licenced hunters doesn't change the rules for FN hunters....everything is fair game for them.

sheephunterab
11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
The issue is also onenof safety..a lot of the base was just vacated from training..not swept for safety..hence not the 100 expected hunters..for safety..but 500 SHOOTERS..pose a safety and LEGAL scenario..if someone gets shot
Yes it was a cull hunt but organized for safety and fairness. .the rules were established but not enforced.

I'm not arguing that what happened is a good thing or a safe thing just that it shouldn't have been a real surprise. I'm not certain what you mean by it was organized for fairness. In truth,, FN hunting rights trump licenced hunter rights in the way harvest is allocated in Alberta. By law they get their share before licenced hunters do. The Feds are 100% in charge of how many people are permitted on the base to hunt.....Alberta has zero to do with regulating FN hunter numbers. Your issue is with the Feds....not the province.

Rackmastr
11-04-2015, 03:18 PM
The FN hunters can shoot whatever they want during the antlerless season. Heck they can blast mule deer and antelope on the base if they so desire. The supreme court decided that. Just because it's an antlerless hunt for licenced hunters doesn't change the rules for FN hunters....everything is fair game for them.

x2....while FN pressure may be lower in the coming weeks, it certainly wont be changing the animals they can target, and there will surely be FN hunters who continue to hunt on the base during all hunts.

FN can and will continue to harvest bulls during any 'cow' season, no different than last year when bulls were harvested during the licensed antlerless hunt.

sheephunterab
11-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Sounds like lots of big bulls went down to licenced hunters at Suffield yesterday! I've seen numerous photos of really nice bulls.

srupp
11-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Thanks buddy..lol hope they left one bull..
Great show with Vanessas Alberta mulie hunt..enjoyed.
Cheers
Steven

srupp
12-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Hmmm season is now half over..around 1,000 elk harvested.
Hunt starts back up Jan. 5th..with 400 permits left for 600 elk..if everyone is 100% successful..and whatever she happens with Indians.
Srupp

Blacktail
12-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Bulls got hit pretty good the last two hunts.
That being said there is a crapload of elk outside the base between Med Hat and Suffield between the Hwy 1 and the boundary fence outside the base property

sheephunterab
12-10-2015, 01:47 PM
It's been pretty hit and miss for hunters with the biggest factor being what areas are open. The last bull hunt was pretty tough. There's a lot of bulls holed up in Ecological Reserve. Hopefully a rest will encourage them out of there.

srupp
12-10-2015, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=sheephunterab;17234non available pretty hit and miss for hunters with the biggest factor being what areas are open. The last bull hunt was pretty tough. There's a lot of bulls holed up in Ecological Reserve. Hopefully a rest will encourage them out of there.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm great insight..thank you..Susan got a new jacket, boots, snow pants, hat, gloves to be my Shera
Been trying to find maps non avaliable so far.
Seriously appreciate the news. .
Paid my money, gave my 10 years priority might as well go try.
Srupp

Walking Buffalo
12-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Hmmm season is now half over..around 1,000 elk harvested.
Hunt starts back up Jan. 5th..with 400 permits left for 600 elk..if everyone is 100% successful..and whatever she happens with Indians.
Srupp

IF, and this will be a big "if", there is a 100% success rate on the remaining hunts, the harvest goal will have just been met.
IF the harvest goal is reached for the next year or two the population reduction program will phase into a maintenance hunt.

There still are huge bulls around, but they are elk and quickly learn where they are safe.

Best wishes Srupp.

srupp
12-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Yes just too bad the truth wasn't told upfront that 300 natives would be invited by the Base to help out..I've had 12..15..20 guys send emails on idiots from all sides shooting first bull scaring elk herd back into closed areas..or Bulls being gang shot..Heard being shot animals left..natives claiming Bulls others had harvested.
Originally Suffield base set the allowable hunters at 100 at a time..plus the 300 natives that part was missed.
I'm truly sorry I wasted 10 years priority...the results so far..with 8,500 elk..75 % of the tag holders didn't harvest a elk..not even a cow!
As for natives..it truly disgusted me..did not expect military to let it get a............************** show..folks have been fined, lost hunting price ledges. .etc etc..
I know..i know don't like it shut up and stay home..would gladly..just return my 10 year priority..would make next year a dream.

Will have to suckered it up and take my chances along with many other Pisces posse. ..
Looks like a great bull..congrats. .
Srupp

Walking Buffalo
12-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Yes just too bad the truth wasn't told upfront that 300 natives would be invited by the Base to help out..I've had 12..15..20 guys send emails on idiots from all sides shooting first bull scaring elk herd back into closed areas..or Bulls being gang shot..Heard being shot animals left..natives claiming Bulls others had harvested.
Originally Suffield base set the allowable hunters at 100 at a time..plus the 300 natives that part was missed.
I'm truly sorry I wasted 10 years priority...the results so far..with 8,500 elk..75 % of the tag holders didn't harvest a elk..not even a cow!
As for natives..it truly disgusted me..did not expect military to let it get a............************** show..folks have been fined, lost hunting price ledges. .etc etc..
I know..i know don't like it shut up and stay home..would gladly..just return my 10 year priority..would make next year a dream.

Will have to suckered it up and take my chances along with many other Pisces posse. ..
Looks like a great bull..congrats. .
Srupp

I understand that you are upset that this is not the hunt that you dreamed it to be, but the fault lies with you and your advisors. It is getting quite disappointing to hear you repeat complaints that were all predictable from available information and historically noted from past Suffield hunts. If you spoke with myself or TJ ( if I may be so bold as to soothsay) or many others, you would have been advised that this hunt would likely play out just as it has. The information was available from many sources and talked about at length on other hunting forums.

I would have been very surprised if the elk did NOT take refuge in the sanctuary during this hunt. This should not be a surprise to anyone that researched the hunt and knows a bit about elk.

Treaty hunters and their harvest have always been part of the Suffield elk reduction plan. You really have no grounds to bitch about this. Not saying you have to like it, but accept that their access to this hunt was publicly known from day one. YOU missed this part, but that is not the fault of Alberta F&W.

Regarding the "Gang shooting" etc., anyone experienced with similar cull programs would have an idea of how they can play out. I've seen it in BC, and Alberta. I accept these kind of hunts for what they are, and make a personal decision to participate or not. In the case of Suffield, I decided Not to apply because I prefer to use my elk priority points on a more intimate affair. The bull in my avatar is not from Suffield, but from another prairie unit that offers few tags. There are no 400" bulls there, but that didn't matter to me when I got to hunt for a 370" bull while being the only person holding an elk tag for the whole unit. You could have drawn this tag this year....

It is a new perspective to me when people complain about an elk success rate of 25%. I don't know what to say in response to that complaint.....

I'll lobby for you to get your points back, when BC treats non-resident hunters as Alberta does. :)

I do wish that you have an enjoyable and rewarding hunt,make the best of it.
And I expect for you to smack Springer with a 2x4 for making you apply even if you end up getting a 440" bull. ;-)

IronNoggin
12-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Bulls got hit pretty good the last two hunts.

Actually... Reports directly from the base strongly suggest otherwise. ;-)

It's been pretty hit and miss for hunters with the biggest factor being what areas are open. The last bull hunt was pretty tough...

Much closer to reality here. Success rates plummeted for both cows & bulls last two hunts.

IF, and this will be a big "if", there is a 100% success rate on the remaining hunts, the harvest goal will have just been met.

It is entirely unlikely that the harvest goal will be met.
This was confirmed by base personnel directly to a very good Buddy over there just after the last hunt.
They will be bringing in Military personnel after the last January hunt to address that.

There still are huge bulls around, but they are elk and quickly learn where they are safe.

Very True All Round!!

Cheers,
Nog

Blacktail
12-11-2015, 04:31 PM
got a buddy of mine that is in range patrol at the base where they check in the elk and a few others that work at the base at the security gates and see the trucks leave with elk in the back.
The last hunt not so much but the hunt before that saw a lot of bulls leave the base

srupp
12-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks Matt..Roy..appreciate calm informed reason. .gotta go take some Ativan. .ssssss
Cheers
Steven

Springer
12-12-2015, 12:41 AM
If given the choice I would reapply all over again WB !!
I am looking forward to and thankful for just being able to travel this piece of Alberta and see the animals on it , and hunt the Elk there.
I also put in for it with the person I am hosting for easy access on leveler ground.
I can Bowhunt every year for Elk so I am not concerned about different terrain or getting around on a general tag.
Its a Hunt like any others , you don't know the outcome before going.

The part for me is this is run by DND employees trained in strategies of military personnel .....sooo if they had to plan an operation driven to reduce the bad guys why cant they set up the base strategically for more effective hunts..I am talking about limiting the driving and the amount of roads so Hunters can get out and walk the prairie selecting what they wanted to shoot instead of running them down with vehicles, stressing them out and redistributing them all over Southern Alberta.

sheephunterab
12-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Just speaking anecdotally, it sounded like the second hunt produced the best bulls...primarily because some new parts of the base opened. I'd be excited if I were going to. I wouldn't expect much but it's always in the back of your mind that a giant could step out at any minute.

Springer
12-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Just speaking anecdotally, it sounded like the second hunt produced the best bulls...primarily because some new parts of the base opened. I'd be excited if I were going to. I wouldn't expect much but it's always in the back of your mind that a giant could step out at any minute.

Absolutely hey TJ.
there are no Guarantees on any Hunt, Besides I would prefer to work for it a little bit more..Makes it more rewarding.
The weather will also be much different by then...Looking forward to it.

My Goal is to see Steve and my son Nathan tag out first, they are both Bull Elkless.
I have a 330" at home , would be nice to beat that but I don't really care , day 3 I will take any Bull, Just like the Two Whitetails I got this year, held out until the end for a Bigun but still took a couple home.

sheephunterab
12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
As long as you are okay coming home empty handed that's likely not a bad strategy Phil. On the last bull hunt, guys were pretty pleased just to kill any elk and most didn't. On other hunts I did hear of guys passing up several. Success rates have been relatively low.

IronNoggin
12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
... Success rates have been relatively low.

Couple things going in favor of these last hunts, not the least of which are related to the lower success rates...

Management has a "set number" they would like to see removed. At the current harvest rate, that is unlikely to be obtained.
Look for new areas opening up as a consequence to enhance the odds of achieving target harvest goals.

FN participation is considered likely to drop - considerably. Most that were "invited" to the show have collected their meat (and in many cases antlers) and wandered off. Combine that with the winter conditions in the area in question, and it is perceived their attendance will be greatly reduced in following hunts.

There is now a 5 week lull in hunting activities on the base. This will allow the elk some "relax time" and it is entirely likely many that fled the base or into closed areas will return.

Methinks there is still pretty damn good odds for collecting a decent bull on this hunt. I know I will be going, and trying to do just that!! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
12-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I agree that this first January hunt maybe the best of all.

srupp
12-27-2015, 02:23 PM
4 weeks today our alberta elk hunt will be over..
Srupp

scoutlt1
12-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Srupp

Good luck!! :)

IronNoggin
12-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Srupp

Ummm... Nope! :grin:

Actually four weeks from today will be Sunday the 24th of January. So in four weeks from today, you will be tossing and turning all sleepless night while Visions of Monster Bulls run through your head! As in The Day Before You Start (the 25th!).

I however, will be done a few days before that 4 weeks is up...

Best of Luck to us Both Buddy! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers!
Nog

srupp
12-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Damn Matt..need to take my shoes and socks off to do the math..
All day snow clearing..lists and permits get done tomorrow. .
Srupp

kennyj
12-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Good luck to you both! Have fun.
kenny

srupp
12-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Hmm getting lists done up..5 pages long ..and that does not include my sherpas list..

Told Phil..no bug spray being brought..figure..
-60 c should help
60MPH winds should also help..
Residual chemical weapons on base should fill in the gaps..lol
Bringing complete butcher set up..knives..grinder..vacmaster 215, bags we can do up Phils and Nathans elk..
Anything special I may not consider for january elk hunt in Alberta ? Thanks
Srupp

Blacktail
12-30-2015, 02:49 AM
Well it could be minus thirty or a Chinook could roll in and be couple above.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.8)

But seriously.,..............its not like you will need the kind of stuff you usually take out northern BC on a fly in

I have my pickup, my gun, a pack board, the otter sled, and a set of snow shoes as back up.

Rackmastr
12-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Well it could be minus thirty or a Chinook could rlecin and be couple above.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.8)

But seriously.,..............its not like you will need the kind of stuff you usually take out northern BC on a fly in

I have my pickup, my gun, a pack board, the otter sled, and a set of snow shoes as back up.

Sled is a good smart idea for sure!! I've drug a few prairie critters with one and sure help over big snow drifts, etc.

Srupp, Blacktail has it right, its not going to take a ton of gear or supplies. My guess is you guys will be more than prepared for it! I'd have a couple good shovels and a tow rope or two for the snow drifts that you may encounter. Doesn't take much for them to harden up with a strong wind blowing and sure can help get around if you get stuck. Should be a lot of guys around to help give you a tug, etc and having a couple good tow ropes makes it simple.

Lucky 7
12-30-2015, 10:46 AM
good luck to all that have the draws

sheephunterab
12-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Sled is a good smart idea for sure!! I've drug a few prairie critters with one and sure help over big snow drifts, etc.

Srupp, Blacktail has it right, its not going to take a ton of gear or supplies. My guess is you guys will be more than prepared for it! I'd have a couple good shovels and a tow rope or two for the snow drifts that you may encounter. Doesn't take much for them to harden up with a strong wind blowing and sure can help get around if you get stuck. Should be a lot of guys around to help give you a tug, etc and having a couple good tow ropes makes it simple.

Some good advice here. This is primarily a road hunt so don't forget all the things to keep your truck moving forward. A set of chains could be invaluable.

srupp
12-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys..will check about a sled..have lots of ropes..

Great idea Roy...
Cheers
Srupp
Lol on a past hunt in northern Alberta. .we were some of the closest humans to the Buzzard Creek meteor...it landed pretty much in front of us...Phil will really have to get creative to out do that excitement. ..

srupp
01-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Hmm heard Calgary paper anou cing 375 more tags for outside the base. .maybe push elk bavk inside?
Srupp

sheephunterab
01-05-2016, 04:30 PM
There were scheduled hunts outside the base through the regular draw but I haven't heard of any additional tags being issued.

IronNoggin
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Hmm heard Calgary paper announcing 375 more tags for outside the base. .maybe push elk back inside?
Srupp

Here is the article: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/suffield-elk-hunt-expanded-to-more-than-2000-tags-this-season

I do not believe they meant 375 additional tags are going to issued. Rather that the total number of tags issued to date this season is 375 outside the base. There will be active hunts ongoing outside the base when both of us are there. Cannot hurt.

As of yesterday there was a herd over 1,000 strong in the North end of the base (inside hunting area) and a handful of satellite herds of better bulls in that general area.
Also a herd between 5 & 600 in the southern area closest to The Hat - have to wait and see if that will be open for hunting.
Don't know about the number of bulls in / around that one.

Getting STOKED!! :wink:
Nog

srupp
01-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Hmm Calgary Herald announced this morning bring the total tags to 2,000..guess the numbers so far wasnt enough..not even kerping up with recruitment..new birthsnext spring. .want 50 % reduction..which is over 4,000 need to be harvested.
With additional 375 tags outside the base mayhelp push..and keep more elk onto Suffield base.
Cheer
Srupp

sheephunterab
01-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Nope, the 375 are tags issued through regular draw and include seasons since September...there are no new tags. They were just talking about the number of tags that were issued in 2015 vs previous years. http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/suffield-elk-hunt-expanded-to-more-than-2000-tags-this-season

srupp
01-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Hmm TJ I think your judgement is again correct.that these tags while new..were accounted for at the start of the season .
When I went back the 3rd time Matts and your view makes more sense.
Good luck NOG drop a cranker..will be in immediatly after your hunt to get a go at our chance..we have 3 tags..my hunter host..Phil..his son Nathan..and myself.
Slowly the couch is getting filled with gear. ..
Again good luck Matt..straight shooting..
Cheers
Steven

Springer
01-06-2016, 02:11 AM
Either way Steve , just glad there will be some guys hunting outside the base as well. Can anyone prove the Elk wont cross the river until it freezes? in order to go in and off the Base. I didn't think it was deep enough down there especially this late in the year. Noggin you travel this river , whats your 2 cents?

IronNoggin
01-06-2016, 01:13 PM
... Can anyone prove the Elk wont cross the river until it freezes? in order to go in and off the Base. I didn't think it was deep enough down there especially this late in the year. Noggin you travel this river , whats your 2 cents?

Be difficult to "prove" in the scientific sense.
But...
The fellow who runs the Drowning Ford and several of the area's Ranchers on the east side of the river report extremely little activity - as in basically none. They also note that once the river does freeze, that changes swiftly and dramatically as the elk invade their haystacks.
And those with tags in the same areas are reporting pretty much no sightings, not even tracks on the east side of the river yet.
So from that it would strongly appear the flowing water is acting as a deterrent.

While there are places the elk could cross without getting much more than their bellies wet, these are generally not positioned immediately adjacent to where the elk come down via established trails to the water. In most of the latter, they would have to get wet up past their bellies and / or swim to cross.
Given daytime temperatures hovering around minus 10, and overnight pushing minus 20, I can understand why the elk might consider a swim to be a bit of a deterrent...

Just off the blower with my Buddy over there. Things are shaping up and it now appears the Ringer he is bringing in to help can act as a Hunter Host allowing us 2 trucks to prosecute the two tags. Should help up our odds I'm thinking.

Starting to pace in earnest now...

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
01-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Yes, you don't have to be hosted by the same person you applied with.

srupp
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Hmm good go Nog..couldnt ask for a better hunter host than Springer..like a much younger brother..always goes the extra mile..although we always get game..the hunts truly are wonderfully and truly appreciated .
Regardless of if an animal is harvested it will be a success hunting in Alberta with Phil..Nathan..and my sherpa..Susan.
Tim dropped off his Sako .338 win magnum..and handloads as mine is still MIA .
drop a monster Matt..
Steven

Springer
01-07-2016, 01:40 AM
Ya Christmas morning is coming boys !! and it starts in January this year Eh ! Thanks for the info Matt on the Elk habits..

IronNoggin
01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Final Packing. Rollin in the am.
Make certain you stow the Horseshoe onboard Steve!! ;-)

See you there...

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
01-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks Matt..travel safe..remember to give Mike a nudge at 2 am every nite to confirm wake up time..lol

Hoping you shoot the big guy..

Cheers
Steven

IronNoggin
01-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks Matt..travel safe..remember to give Mike a nudge at 2 am every nite to confirm wake up time..lol

Methinks I'll do just that. And of course tell him Steve's on the phone & wants to chat NOW!! :twisted:

Packed Both Weatherby's - just in case... ;)

See you in Alberta Buddy!!

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
01-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Steven

fuzzybiscuit
01-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Good luck guys...you will need it from the reports I've heard this week.

srupp
01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Good luck guys...you will need it from the reports I've heard this week.

Hmmm yes I heard it was brutally slow..35 animals between monday..tuesday..guys posting on Alberta outdoors forum saying they left early hoth days? Not seeing a single animal .

Nogs a much better hunter..he should do well..
Im taking 4 small packages of candy salmon to bribe range patrol...lol

Going yo give her a shot..cant shoot a elk from the couch..
Steven

Bunner
01-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Good luck, hope you drop one! Can't wait to see pics

fuzzybiscuit
01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Hmmm yes I heard it was brutally slow..35 animals between monday..tuesday..guys posting on Alberta outdoors forum saying they left early hoth days? Not seeing a single animal .

Nogs a much better hunter..he should do well..
Im taking 4 small packages of candy salmon to bribe range patrol...lol

Going yo give her a shot..cant shoot a elk from the couch..
Steven

You've got that right Steven!

My brother in law just returned after two days hunting and while I haven't talked to him I hear he didn't see an animal and gave up early due to lack of sign and way too many people.

Things could change though if they open up new areas so you just never know how it will turn out.

srupp
01-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Yes unfortunately the decline in natives didnt pan out....the extra 50 didnt help..neither did placing 60 % of the entire area restricted no hunting .
And some guys racing around..not giving elk the chance to get onto base..shooting driving elk off base or into the massive restricted no hunting area..
The elk have been harrassed..shot at..chased..getting pretty shy....however I still was amazed at guys just not going..or how many never even saw a elk..nothing.
Guys in Medicine hat are pretty pi$$ ed at elk for sale by indians...
Hmmm 17,000 applications for these tags..pretty sure most would not have applied..I have a tag..off I go..
Steven

sheephunterab
01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Man I figured this would be the best hunt of all. A buddy of mine didn't see a single elk in three days. Good luck guys!

srupp
01-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks TJ..appreciate the well wishes..personally think IronNoggin will do exceptionally well.
I dont understand the conflict..on the one hand the need to lower the numbers of elk..then closing down more than half the area allowing vast areas for the elk to chill out in complete safety.
Next year hunters can do this hunt with zero priority.as few will be willing to burn 9..10..11..12..13..14 years for the fiasco. .

Steven

sheephunterab
01-13-2016, 09:08 PM
It's an active training base...the hunt does not take priority. Areas are closed when training is going on. Still not sure about the protected wildlife area though. Yes, I suspect there may even be tags left over.

srupp
01-13-2016, 11:46 PM
Hmm to bad they wouldnt allow us either or seeing little is getting harvested..would gladly bring a cow home...be nice..lol

Steven

Springer
01-14-2016, 08:53 AM
I to have talked to some. 1 guy who works at the wainwright base that is very involved , he's the Bio on the Wainwright Military base and helps every year there says it is also such an unorganized hunt at Suffield and would never go back, nor take his kids hunting there ever because of the UNSAFE factor . The other fella told me day 1 they were talking about opening a closed area, turns out not the sanctuary we thought they would. When he inquired further found out the Sanctuary will never open unless they change the federal legislation , which would affect all the federal parks etc .
I am blown away our Canadian Military are running this with no plan in place...They will not meet their quota and the large herd reduction is going to be a failure and come Spring will see an increase in the herd.
If we come home with a Spiker between us we will have 100% more success than most...Gooooooooong Show !!

Blacktail
01-14-2016, 10:59 AM
yup the hunt has been a shite show for sure.
I will be looking for a herd with some young spikers or raghorns when I go.
gonna go out on the Monday and if it is a zoo and don't see anything I doubt I will go back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

IronNoggin
01-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Regardless of the Doom & Gloom Reports, we are headed that way now.
And planning to hit it HARD all three days open to us.
It would appear that one doesn't have to be all that much of a proficient hunter, just damn Lucky!
Now where the hell did I put that horseshoe... ??

Rolling Out Now.
Catch ya at The Party Steve & Crew...

Cheers,
Nog

358mag
01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Regardless of the Doom & Gloom Reports, we are headed that way now.
And planning to hit it HARD all three days open to us.
It would appear that one doesn't have to be all that much of a proficient hunter, just damn Lucky!
Now where the hell did I put that horseshoe... ??

Rolling Out Now.
Catch ya at The Party Steve & Crew...

Cheers,
Nog
Good luck out there safe travels

srupp
01-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Be safe..play nice..put your toys away when done..good luck friend.
Cheers
Steven

Walking Buffalo
01-14-2016, 06:05 PM
I to have talked to some. 1 guy who works at the wainwright base that is very involved , he's the Bio on the Wainwright Military base and helps every year there says it is also such an unorganized hunt at Suffield and would never go back, nor take his kids hunting there ever because of the UNSAFE factor . The other fella told me day 1 they were talking about opening a closed area, turns out not the sanctuary we thought they would. When he inquired further found out the Sanctuary will never open unless they change the federal legislation , which would affect all the federal parks etc .
I am blown away our Canadian Military are running this with no plan in place...They will not meet their quota and the large herd reduction is going to be a failure and come Spring will see an increase in the herd.
If we come home with a Spiker between us we will have 100% more success than most...Gooooooooong Show !!

As posted on AO, I don't think this is correct.

All it would take to open up the NWA to hunting is a signature from the Minister.

From the National Wildlife Area Regulations

Prohibited Activities and Authorizations
Activities in a National Wildlife Area are authorized where notices have been posted at the entrance to or boundary of the area, or published in local newspapers. Prohibited activities in all National Wildlife Areas include:

hunting or fishing
possession of firearms or other hunting devices
possession of any wildlife or carcass, nest, or eggs
damaging, destroying or removing a plant
carrying on any agricultural activity
allowing any domestic animal to run at large
destroying or molesting any wildlife, carcasses, nests or eggs
cutting, picking, removing or willfully damaging any vegetation
disturbing or removing soil, sand, gravel or other material
removing, defacing, damaging or destroying any artifact, natural object, building, fence, poster sign or other structure
recreational activities such as camping, swimming, picnicking or having campfires
using a boat, aircraft or other vehicle
any commercial or industrial activity
dumping or depositing any rubbish, waste material, or substance that would degrade or alter the quality of the environment
entry into any National Wildlife Area where notice prohibiting such entry has been given

Under certain conditions, the activities listed above may be authorized through a permit issued by the Minister. Guided by the Environment Canada protected areas permitting policy (https://ec.gc.ca/Publications/default.asp?lang=En&xml=CEA0F36C-9E24-4AF6-881B-39A66EA68ED3), authorizations and permits may be issued only if the Minister is of the opinion that the activity:

is scientific research relating to wildlife or habitat conservation;
will not interfere with the conservation of wildlife; or
is consistent with the purpose for which the National Wildlife Area was established or the most recent management plan for the area.

Best wishes Hunters, I hope you all have a great time!

srupp
01-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks gonna try..
Srupp

Springer
01-16-2016, 03:17 AM
Dale The Walking Buffalo , thanks for not asking me and posting my user name , as well from another forum !
That thread is used for sharing with others , mostly the ones drawn for the hunt / Herd reduction in Alberta on AO
I shared just what was told to the people in the briefing...Looks like your the expert though , sure amazing that single Minister signature hasn't been taken care of already ?? And still there are Drawn Hunters and FN going home empty handed. Hmmm

Goes along with your comments that I should be hit with a 2x4 for putting in for this draw ? Very classy !

Lucky 7
01-16-2016, 10:40 AM
it would be interesting to see who got lucky on this draw

Springer
01-16-2016, 11:31 PM
The guys who put in for the opening seasons did OK Lucky 7, some decent bulls taken and some guys were fussy about waiting for the 300 plus bulls .
Heck one friend said he never saw migrating caribou herds as big as the Elk herds of at least 1000 being chased down by trucks full of hunters..
Sure theres lots on the Sanctuaries but I bet lots have been pushed right off and redistributed throughout Southern Alberta. With any luck the Elk will run out of groceries and come back onto huntable land on the base.

srupp
01-17-2016, 12:57 AM
Hay ewe..its time hunter hosts were asleep..Mister..lol..expecting new jokes and stories..
Cheers
Bull elk newbie

digger dogger
01-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Dale The Walking Buffalo , thanks for not asking me and posting my user name , as well from another forum !
That thread is used for sharing with others , mostly the ones drawn for the hunt / Herd reduction in Alberta on AO
I shared just what was told to the people in the briefing...Looks like your the expert though , sure amazing that single Minister signature hasn't been taken care of already ?? And still there are Drawn Hunters and FN going home empty handed. Hmmm

Goes along with your comments that I should be hit with a 2x4 for putting in for this draw ? Very classy !

Dale warned me about this draw, he said "it'll likely be a shit show, so don't waste your priority".
Thank you Dale.

sheephunterab
01-17-2016, 10:35 AM
The guys who put in for the opening seasons did OK Lucky 7, some decent bulls taken and some guys were fussy about waiting for the 300 plus bulls .
Heck one friend said he never saw migrating caribou herds as big as the Elk herds of at least 1000 being chased down by trucks full of hunters..
Sure theres lots on the Sanctuaries but I bet lots have been pushed right off and redistributed throughout Southern Alberta. With any luck the Elk will run out of groceries and come back onto huntable land on the base.

The second bull season seemed to be the best as a bunch of new areas on the base opened up that weren't open for the first hunt.

Springer
01-17-2016, 01:04 PM
I concur TJ , the first ones in did well on the second season as well. I doubt i will apply for this hunt again unless theres changes , but i do know i will spend more time with my Bow down in the river valleys looking for them on a general tag in the future.

srupp
01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Hmmm WOW sure was good for CP and his 2 buddies. .3 guys..16 SIXTEEN elk at a go. .all in the open trailer and pickup box..

77 % licensed tag holders never even saw a elk...

Freeking brilliant...

Spent too much $$ , time..however my heart really isnt in this one...
Another 2 examples of guys shooting a elk..by the time they were loaded and pulled up at tgeir bull...truck load of........
Had claimed it...
Truly disgusted

Wild Images
01-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Have to say I'm glad my points are still in my pocket !!

srupp
01-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Hmmm Irornnoghins first day of elk hunting at Suffield is over..come in Matt.....lol
Srupp

srupp
01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Matt is into his second day..? Wishing him luck and straight shooting...the el grande..
Cheers
Steven

sheephunterab
01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
17 killed yesterday, 3 today. Sounds like there were very few FN hunters on the base.

srupp
01-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks TJ..hope one was Matt..the other Mikes wife..
We leave Friday am..slow trip out..overnight in Hinton..Saturday st hunter host Phils. .in Dead Rear..then Sunday to Brooks..
Monday 25th opening day for Nathan, Phil, myself..3 tags 3 days to geterdone.
My lovely Visa mauler..Susan is my sherpa..
Steven

Blacktail
01-20-2016, 02:37 AM
Was that 17 bulls TJ or all elk on Monday.
Haven't heard from my contacts out there.

See you guys Monday morning Steven

srupp
01-20-2016, 02:44 AM
Hmm looking forward to meeting you again Blacktail..no messages or phone calls from Matt..my guesses ..that he got a bull..no info just gut feeling about an exellent hunter..hope you are getting things together Roy for this roundup adventure..

Cheers and best wishes

Steven

Blacktail
01-20-2016, 02:55 AM
Yup got everything I need for next week..
I have Matt's cell number but have been working afternoons and honey do stuff got in the way on the weekend so haven't been able to touch base with him

sheephunterab
01-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Was that 17 bulls TJ or all elk on Monday.
Haven't heard from my contacts out there.

See you guys Monday morning Steven

17 bulls I believe

srupp
01-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Hmm thanks to everyone..we are headed for our elk hunt.
Cheers
Steven

fuzzybiscuit
01-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Good luck Fudd Ruppster!

You'll some great scenery and lots of differen't critters. All indications were that this last hunt went pretty good compared to some of the earlier ones. Some people didn't show up and most any native that wanted an Elk already had a freezer full so there was less competition.

One of my co-workers made it back with a 5x5 last night. Not a monster, but it will be some good eating and made for a good time when everything else is closed. Sounds like luck played a big part in him being successful, but when doesn't it?

I wish that I put in for a draw.

Blacktail
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Just talked to Matt on his way out of town
He shot a spike and tried to close the deal on his hunter host's tag but no deal.
Bleak hunting apparently with not many animals being spotted.

Springer
01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I know of a couple Bulls taken from two brothers...6 pt and a spiker.
Good times and Adventure Ahead Steve and Roy !!
I did hear about a Nasty rumour that a vehicle has a new bullet hole in it on the current hunt...

Blacktail
01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Heard that as well too Springer
Buddy in the brit forces told me today of it.
No one was hurt as the truck was left in a low lying area while the driver hopped in with another party
bullets started flying and the truck caught one in the driver's door apparently.

fuzzybiscuit
01-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Collateral damage?

IronNoggin
01-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I did hear about a Nasty rumour that a vehicle has a new bullet hole in it on the current hunt...

That is confirmed. No-one injured simply by sheer luck. :shock:

If I had to describe what is being glossed over as a "hunt" there, it would have to be Complete Lunacy.
I did manage to collect a spike which was not of course what I was after, but was basically the only opportunity we had.
None for my Buddy's Lady. :(
Damn Tough going, and more than enough shenanigans going on to make one shake their head... frequently.
IMO there are less than 1,000 elk on the base at this point, and they well know where the out of bounds areas area.

All of that aside I did see the Largest Bull Elk my aging eyes have ever wandered across, and considering my experience with these critters, that is saying a LOT!
And of course Lightening can still strike!
I wish Srupp, Springer & Company and Blacktail a Safe and Successful Hunt over there!
Pack your horseshoes fellas!

Will do up a full report soon, but have to unpack, butcher and download pictures before that. Likely a day or two methinks...
Not a lot of pictures though - they have a rule of no photos "on the base" to which we complied. Did collect a few outside the base and of the results after we got out of there...

Best of Luck Gentz! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Looking forward to your reports...

Cheers,
Nog - Bagged but Tagged

srupp
01-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks Matt..congrads bro..you did far better than well over 80%..
Packing our gear..we are in STINKY Brooks Alberta..2.5 day journey..in at the hotel..Phil..his son Nathan and Susan went for supper. .organize the gear and lights out..an apple and some cake..
Susan JUST realized I need to hold a blanket when she goes peeeeeee..too many spotting scopes..lol
Scarey shit about the truck..it was bound to happen..for many reasons..
Wish us..and Roy..safety..enjoyment..and an opportunity..from 6500 elk down to under 1,000 in hundreds and hundreds of sq miles even Matt and his hunter hosts..dsmn fine experienced knowledgable hunters..had to work hard for his table fare.

Cheers from Brooks finest $50 night motels..lol
Steven

Blacktail
01-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Yup....just got all the gear together
Talked to Matt about his hunt and two guys that are on the base out in the field everyday.
Hopefully we can turn this around for the best
See you four out at the meeting in the morning for sure.

sheephunterab
01-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Best of luck guys!

srupp
01-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Hmm just finished day 1..
130 hunters..plus helpers
1 spike elk harvested by one other hunter
Fog all day 40 feet visibility. .dawn till dusk
Over 400 kms traveled
80 pronghorn real close
3 big mulies bucks
2 mulies does
Couple owls
The morning brieging warned of few elk in legal areas..over 65 % of base out of bounds.
Saw one set of elk tracks? Didnt see a elk of any sorts..and we looked till our eyes bled..lol
Bribed range officers with smoked candy salmon..to no avail..pretty easy day for 6 officers..check one elk all day..
4 am wake up..day 2 starts in mere hours..yaaaaaaawn
Steven

IronNoggin
01-25-2016, 08:27 PM
... 4 am wake up..day 2 starts in mere hours..yaaaaaaawn

Our day 2 was basically fogged out all day too. That actually made a few move into the Go Zone.
Did not shoot until last day when we were there...
Stick with it Buddy! Pulling for you!!

Cheers,
Nog

Blacktail
01-25-2016, 09:44 PM
The fog today certainly didn't make any of them move into the go zones.
Talked to a fella that had about 250 on the Komati side of the river.
We covered about 90% of the huntable area today with no sightings or even a sniff of a track.
Fog advisory for the base again tomorrow.
Can't take the time to hunt on Wednesday so think I will cut my losses and forgo the frustration and sleep in tomorrow

coach
01-25-2016, 11:37 PM
http://youtu.be/unkIVvjZc9Y

srupp
01-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Hmm yesterday..day one. .4 INCH antler bull, cow elk that had its leg shot off last week was harvested by Swedish army..aka native..good job.so 2 day 1
None by anyone today..50 % gave up after yesterday.

Another 450 kms..
Only 30 % of base was open..hmmmmmmmmmm
Seen 300 antelope..
100 plus deer..
Seen 300 elk..some decent bulls..all 100 % in the wildlife reserve..out of bounds..
2 days 900 plus kms..no elk on the base..
1 set of tracks. .10 yards onto base then back out of bounds..
No elk seen by any hunters up till 1600 hrs..that were on base..actually no one even seen a set of tracks
Matt got it done..we decided to stay one more day and hunt from dawn till dark..
It started - 12 and ended at + 5 insane temp swings..
No elk at all so far on the base..IMO..none but the spike and 3 legged cow elk..not even legitimate tracks other than 10 yards. .
Last day tommorrow..and it has 100 more hunters for cows elk....some very upset hunters 70 % of the base closed off to hunting..
No planning or consideration of $ time, effort to help eliminate some elk...Roy is far smarter than me..Matt far better hunter..
Another 500 kms tommorrow with 200 licenses..and natives..potential for 250 vehicles?
At one time today seen..18 vehicles bumper to bumper cruising for non existent elk . frustrated.
Nite
Steven

tinhorse
01-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Just think of how much you'll appreciate the BC open season next year where you can drive to an area, hike for 5 minutes and not see anybody the entire day. Good luck. Hope they come out for you tomorrow.

IronNoggin
01-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Hope our mutual Buddies were able to provide some decent advice Steve!
Don't toss in the towel yet Man! Collected that spike the last day when we were there!
Pulling for You Big Guy!!

Here's Hoping!! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

358mag
01-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Coach
Spot on !!!

ACB
01-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Hmm yesterday..day one. .4 INCH antler bull, cow elk that had its leg shot off last week was harvested by Swedish army..aka native..good job.so 2 day 1
None by anyone today..50 % gave up after yesterday.

Another 450 kms..
Only 30 % of base was open..hmmmmmmmmmm
Seen 300 antelope..
100 plus deer..
Seen 300 elk..some decent bulls..all 100 % in the wildlife reserve..out of bounds..
2 days 900 plus kms..no elk on the base..
1 set of tracks. .10 yards onto base then back out of bounds..
No elk seen by any hunters up till 1600 hrs..that were on base..actually no one even seen a set of tracks
Matt got it done..we decided to stay one more day and hunt from dawn till dark..
It started - 12 and ended at + 5 insane temp swings..
No elk at all so far on the base..IMO..none but the spike and 3 legged cow elk..not even legitimate tracks other than 10 yards. .
Last day tommorrow..and it has 100 more hunters for cows elk....some very upset hunters 70 % of the base closed off to hunting..
No planning or consideration of $ time, effort to help eliminate some elk...Roy is far smarter than me..Matt far better hunter..
Another 500 kms tommorrow with 200 licenses..and natives..potential for 250 vehicles?
At one time today seen..18 vehicles bumper to bumper cruising for non existent elk . frustrated.
Nite
Steven
Maybe it's time to use some boot rubber instead of truck rubber just to change it up?

IronNoggin
01-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Maybe it's time to use some boot rubber instead of truck rubber just to change it up?

Counter productive. This is a wide open PRAIRIE hunt wherein the elk can see you a considerably long ways off.
Only time to hit the boots is after spotting them from a distance, and stalking in behind a mole hill...
I'll post some pictures of the general area (photo's NOT allowed on the base) when I get the damn camera issues figured out...

Good Luck Steve & Crew!

Cheers,
Nog

wideopenthrottle
01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
sounds like you guys are spreading horror stories to keep the rest of us away from your "sure thing" elk hunt...heheheh just kidding about keeping others away but , man, is sounds just awful to be hunting there all things considered...

Blacktail
01-27-2016, 12:00 PM
couple years ago I drew a cow tag and had weather issues but still dropped a nice mature cow on the last day.
There were herds of anywhere between 100 and 1000 animals
closest we could get was around 400 yards but the 338 dropped her where she stood
As Matt said getting out and walking on that bald-ass prairie can be counter productive until you can spot a herd from a 1000 yards away and then try and get close.
Ya have to use whatever small nobs and low hills you can to cover the distance. Not like there are any trees out there to hide behind.....lol
as it stands now this is not a sure thing hunt.
I would be surprise if there is 1000 elk anywhere on that base.
The way they have managed the hunt has pushed the animals five to ten miles away in some cases in the surrounding private land.
Maybe that was their intention all along who knows.
There is going to be a lot of mad landowners if they stay there and the wildlife branch and government will be dealing with property damage complaints and lawsuits because of the overpopulation.

fuzzybiscuit
01-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Well...how was it Ruppster? Did the fog screw you guys up again?

fuzzybiscuit
01-28-2016, 07:13 PM
That Good huh?

I'm going to be a priority 1 next year but I don't know if I want to waste that many points on this hunt. Lol.

REDGREEN
01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Waiting on a phone call, Steve. Hope that it is good news.

Blacktail
01-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Waiting on a phone call, Steve. Hope that it is good news.

nope, nada, nothing

srupp
01-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Hmm 3 days nada..seen 100..200 off base in out of bounds...
Last day extra 100 hunters..cows..
Trucks racing ..passing at 150 kph..some of the army staff..now hunters..they got to leave early..grrrr
3 days never saw a elk on the base.necer met anyone who did..nor even tracks.
Second day nothing south of gate 12 open..and east and west closed..makes it bumper to bumper....some boot work done..
One or 2? Shot on day 3 by those that got there first..ie 150 kph
Imo never was a chance..but spent 10 years priority..and 3 days trying..0230 am till 2030..
And for the arm chair qbs..you put in 10 years..spend the time and $$$ then you can challenge the game plan...however 30 elk shot by 800 hunters or more since second half of season.
When asked what would be the best idea for day 3? The range patrol replied..go home?...
Hmmm the on area had elk but they didnt want to spare the staff to go around to that area...so it remained closed to hunters willibg to make the effort..truly sad..
Steven

kennyj
01-30-2016, 06:25 PM
That sucks!! Sorry the experience wasn't bettor.
kenny

fuzzybiscuit
01-30-2016, 06:27 PM
That sucks Steven. Can't fault you for not putting in a good effort though.

Two guys from work were there and saw sweet f all also. Sounds like a real mess.

IronNoggin
01-30-2016, 06:55 PM
..truly sad..

Been waiting for you're return & reply my Friend.
Wasn't so much of a "hunt" as it was Lunacy!
Even so, I wish things had gone better for you.

I'll run up the story of what we saw, what we didn't, and some thoughts on the overall scenario tomorrow.
Bottom line I can already call: Don't come looking again...
I certainly won't be...

Cheers,
Nog

Daybreak
01-30-2016, 06:55 PM
That's too bad. At least you gave it 100%. It was decent of you to keep us all up to date as your posts were interesting and anticipated.

srupp
01-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Ya 15,000 views and not one elk...however we did our best..we were where we should have been..met hunters accompanied by 25 year veterans of Suffield..so the plan was sound. .just no elk on the base
And we all know Matt is a better hunter..hence his success.
Not organized
Too much closed area
Too many Swedish army
Being the last bull hunt. .they were gone
No willingness by base to open areas that held elk..no conflict
95 % of elk shot were in Nov.hunt.
30% of our hunt gave up after day 1..
Thamk you to Fred, Mike, Roy, Phil, Nathan.Matt for intel and encouragement.
Thank you to my Sherpa Susan for her 20 hour days organizing, helping, encouraging, and learning to pee behind the truck..constantly interrupted..lol
Thank you Tim for your loan of long range rifle and custom handloads .
Thank you Roxanne. .opening your home and loan of your husband and son for the hunt.
From Hinton Alberta..home tommorrow
Steven

moosinaround
01-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Sounds like most of the Peace country this year,hunters, gas workers, site C , it's a shit show there too!!!!

charlie_horse
02-02-2016, 10:18 AM
That too bad Steven. Time to go slay some wolves!

srupp
02-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Hmm yes starts Monday...head out Sunday..had to write a test yesterday to renew my BC assistant guides license...did well and passed..time to see if some wolves can take a dirt nap..and save some moose.

Cheers
Steven

New Bow Hunter
02-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Well you guys have convinced me not to apply.

srupp
02-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Hmmm great idea..not worth the time or effort or aggrevation..let alone 10 years priority, and several thousand $$$
Indians are selling elk in medicine hat..or big racks if you want one. .or 5..or 10..
Pretty pathetic organization..
Glad the indians from sask, alberta, manitoba helped the ranchers ..wish I could have been given the opportunity..or they could have spared 1 soldiar for the lone zone that held elk...no dice..11 soldiars for 11 hour days to check 1 elk..seriously !
Grumpy