PDA

View Full Version : Big, crippled bull

07-15-2015, 03:46 PM
I got this guys picture on my trail cam. Great antler growth for early June, but his right-rear leg is crippled, and atrophied. Any theories as to the cause of his misfortune?? This location is a long ways from any road if that helps.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/Crippled%20bull1_zpsdztbrnlk.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/Crippled%20bull1_zpsdztbrnlk.jpg.html)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/CB2_zpsziis0zs9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/CB2_zpsziis0zs9.jpg.html)

Ride Red
07-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Nice looking bull, too bad he's most likely doomed for bait. There could be many reasons; hung up in windfall, sparing last fall, shot in the leg ect.

rides bike to work
07-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Got into the wrong batch of cookies at the cotton wood falls market got stuck in the swings at gyro park then got beat in a back alley on Baker Street by the cops.

300H&H
07-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Sad to see but that is nature.

I can even see the outline of his ribs. With all the feed out there he should be fatter.

tuner
07-15-2015, 04:44 PM
GPS coordinates would go a long way in helping diagnose this bulls problems.:biggrin:

TARCHER
07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Clearly his right rear is damaged

ACE
07-15-2015, 05:24 PM
May be a hoof injury and he's not using that leg ...... ?
Fall with a dis-location ...... ?

Stresd
07-15-2015, 05:55 PM
I'd say a broken leg. Look at the size of the knee joint in the second pic. 4 times the size of the left knee

menace270
07-15-2015, 06:03 PM
It looks like it's been that way for a while. His hip almost looks deformed as well. Could it be he was born like that or had an accident wen he was very young? If his body was focused on healing wouldn't that stunt his antler growth? He doesn't really look like he's in to bad of shape aside from his leg being gibbled.

Steve W
07-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Hit by a vehicle at some point?

Brez
07-15-2015, 06:30 PM
looks healthy by the antler growth. Early June he'd be lean. Plus side is that he'd be an easy pack out

Ferenc
07-15-2015, 06:48 PM
It looks like it's been that way for a while. His hip almost looks deformed as well. Could it be he was born like that or had an accident wen he was very young? If his body was focused on healing wouldn't that stunt his antler growth? He doesn't really look like he's in to bad of shape aside from his leg being gibbled.

Good observation.. Usually the opposite side is affected (left)
but his antlers do look symmetric ... He still has a bit more growing to do.

Springer
07-15-2015, 07:03 PM
deformed at Birth is my Guess..

huckleberry
07-15-2015, 07:07 PM
We took a bull a few years back with heavy calcium deposits in the right front shoulder, complete atrophy, but still in great shape. He had been shot in the shoulder a couple of years prior since we found the obvously long distance slug no mushroom but encapsuled in a sheath of gristle. Hoof had not hit the ground in a long while. Shoulder broken but had healed. Tough animals.

2tins
07-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Got into the wrong batch of cookies at the cotton wood falls market got stuck in the swings at gyro park then got beat in a back alley on Baker Street by the cops.
That sounds like experience talking.

menace270
07-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Elk are an extremely tough animal. he will most likely be slower then another bull or cow but I guarantee he can still run like a bat out a hell! I wouldn't call him easy prey for predators either he really doesn't look all that bad. He has a huge rack coming in as well. I think he was born like this or it happened at a very young age. He's probly at the point where he doesn't really notice the leg being a little wonky but then again maybe he's in all sorts of pain and someone needs to put him out of his misery... Where is this guy located lol

Jagermeister
07-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Years ago at an outdoor show, which I think was in PG, the wildlife branch were displaying moose hooves similar to those elk in the linked article.
In the case of the moose hooves, there was a slight green discoloration along with the elongated distortion. The hooves were from moose taken in the area south of Endako.
The theory presented was that the vegetation in the area had a very high copper content. Trees and shrub wood displayed a green discoloration. Since the moose would browse on the copper laced vegetation, their copper levels would also be elevated. It was postulated that the elevated copper level was giving to accelerated hoof growth.

Bugle M In
07-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I took a bull years ago with the identical lump, just a few inches lower.
Appeared to be a break, that did heal.
That bull had no issues...he ran at full perfect stride till he dropped.
As stated...they are tough.