PDA

View Full Version : Getting off the road

fun2ride0
07-15-2015, 10:21 AM
As a relatively new hunter, I've heard and read a lot about "Getting off the road and walking". Everyone that I've talked to about this has a different way of going about that. Some follow trails, some just walk between trees, some only walk cutbacks, and finally some only get out of the truck to shoot an animal and then walk to retrieve it.

What's the most successful tactic? Is it trail walking or walking through the trees and bush? Many of us don't use quads to hunt and get around so we need to do some hiking. Any insight from all of you seasoned hunters out there would be greatly appreciated.

Stainless
07-15-2015, 10:28 AM
You will become a much better hunter if you walk. I will try to get into spots I know a quad or vehicle won't get into. I would find hunting not enjoyable if I just drove around and hopped out of my truck and shot something.

Leaseman
07-15-2015, 11:05 AM
All are successful, all work, do whichever you enjoy the most......:wink:

Wentrot
07-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Far from experienced but I love getting as far away from roads/trails/people as possible.

J_T
07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Depends what you are hunting (bear, cougar, elk, deer, sheep, varmint....). Depends where you are hunting (open ground, steep ground, thick, big timber..... And what time of year you are hunting. The type of hunting often reflects a persons preferences, ie, road, hiking, atv.... "when I'm outdoors, I prefer to hunt like...." Every tactic/approach results in a statistical result. A relatively predictable amount. If you road hunt, you will kill game. Is that the style of hunting you want to do? If you tree stand, spot and stalk, or run through the bush, you will kill game if that is your objective. Just have to be good (and lucky) at what ever method you choose.

Sofa King
07-15-2015, 12:57 PM
bottom line, whether driving around in the truck so one can be comfy, warm and drink beer, hiking into the remotest areas, sitting in a cut or stand or blind, or covering ground on an orv, luck and timing is everything, and happens in every situation.

RoscoeP
07-15-2015, 01:00 PM
You don't have to go as far back as you may think you do, and remember you have to pack it out so don't get to carried away or have lots of buddies.

Sofa King
07-15-2015, 01:05 PM
yup, always be thinking of the retrieval.
I think that's what keeps lots of guys keeping to the comfort of the roads.

MichelD
07-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Last fall I drove into an area for the afternoon hunt and bumped into a guy sitting by the side of the road having a beer and a smoke. He'd been hunting all day and was waiting for his ride. I greeted him and drove to the end of the road. It was on a slope with the down side a logged off bowl and the upper side still treed.

I parked and left my buddy in the vehicle as he didn't want to come into the woods because he had to work on his book he's writing comparing Alberta and Norway's oil industries. So he pulled out his laptop and I left him there, back tracked 100 or so yards and started into the trees, one slow step at a time. Stop, look, listen, wait, proceed.

I could hear the other guy yakking to somebody else now we were that close. I was barely 100 yards up the hill when I spotted a patch of brown with white on the end. Deer! It took a step or two and I saw antlers. Leaned on a tree and when the time was right I shot.

I'll never know if that deer came towards me because he heard the other guys or if he was coming down the hill, but as far as I could tell, he was moving across the hill and away from the other guys when I saw him.

I went back and got my author friend to help me drag it out. It was dark when we got back down to the road.

A buddy got one in approximately the same patch of trees about 1/2 a km in two years before that. We packed that one out on frame backpacks, one-half each.

Another time I hiked up across a tangled logging slash into the trees, straight uphill through the trees, hearing something crashing ahead of me now and then, and then when I got out into the open alpine, a buck and a doe ran across the ridge above me so I got the buck. That recovery just about killed me though, so I won't get into it. Too long a story.

So yeah, getting off the road works. The nicest mainland blacktail I ever got though, I spotted from the truck standing in the open as I was driving uphill to go hunting one morning. As my buddy Fred says "Ya just never know."

brian
07-15-2015, 01:48 PM
You ask a tough question, what is the most successful tactic? Hunting is a skill and more skilled hunters do better doing the same sorts of tactics employed by less successful hunters. They just have a better idea of where to do it and how to do it right. So I say do what you like to do, because you are going to be doing a lot of it.

HarryToolips
07-15-2015, 03:20 PM
depends what you are hunting (bear, cougar, elk, deer, sheep, varmint....). Depends where you are hunting (open ground, steep ground, thick, big timber..... And what time of year you are hunting. The type of hunting often reflects a persons preferences, ie, road, hiking, atv.... "when i'm outdoors, i prefer to hunt like...." every tactic/approach results in a statistical result. A relatively predictable amount. If you road hunt, you will kill game. Is that the style of hunting you want to do? If you tree stand, spot and stalk, or run through the bush, you will kill game if that is your objective. Just have to be good (and lucky) at what ever method you choose.

x2................

Smiley
07-15-2015, 03:51 PM
My results percentage went through the roof 2 years ago when my walking time did the same.
Now, we hide from quads, trucks, and fast walkers and let them go by, then continue really slowly. It is UNBELIEVABLE how much more you see when you pause for a 360 degree sweep every 5 to 10 steps.
Often, a tag is cut just a few hundred yards from the beginning of the walk.

scoutlt1
07-15-2015, 03:53 PM
My method of hunting is to get as far away from the road or trail as possible. Yes I know it's way harder to get game out (along with many other "complications"), but I really don't like people. :)
I hunted with a buddy for years. He never walked. Drove around in his truck or puttered around on his quad. That f** f*** with bad knees killed pretty much the same amount of game that I did. I still hate the guy. :)

Hunt the way you enjoy I say.
I'm fine with occasionally road hunting on those cold mornings, and have shots many deer that way. Tons of people get tons of game while road hunting. But for me, I love nothing more than hiking hours (or days) into the bush, being by myself, and enjoying the whole "experience"....and ya, I usually find an animal or three.

rides bike to work
07-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I look for hight of land ,hill tops ridges deer travel these areas and bed up there as well usually no roads up there

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2015, 04:46 PM
My words to live by: Walk little, see much.

Most people are so busy hiking they never see the animals they are stomping by. And if they do, it's usually an ass disappearing into the bush, as they've alerted the animal long before they ever see it.

Slow down. Stop. Sit. Look. Listen.

two-feet
07-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Pick up an instructional book by fred bear or one of the other good bow hunters, learn in theory how to still hunt, spot and stalk, etc. if you apply these bow hunting techniques to rifle hunting you will have success. And tons of cool expiriences with animals as well.

fun2ride0
07-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Most people are so busy hiking they never see the animals they are stomping by. And if they do, it's usually an ass disappearing into the bush, as they've alerted the animal long before they ever see it.

I like this way of thinking. Many of you have given me solid things to think about and practice. I've gone hunting with guys that never leave the comfort of their truck and I'm not sure if I personally like that way of hunting.

fun2ride0
07-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Pick up an instructional book by fred bear or one of the other good bow hunters, learn in theory how to still hunt, spot and stalk, etc. if you apply these bow hunting techniques to rifle hunting you will have success. And tons of cool expiriences with animals as well.

Great idea. I'd imagine bow hunters need solid techniques to be able to sneak up on their targets.

Daybreak
07-15-2015, 07:07 PM
bottom line, whether driving around in the truck so one can be comfy, warm and drink beer, hiking into the remotest areas, sitting in a cut or stand or blind, or covering ground on an orv, luck and timing is everything, and happens in every situation.

Alcohol, firearms and vehicles don't mix but you already knew that.

The greatest satisfaction for me comes in being on foot and getting in tune with your surroundings, the conditions and the animals. Getting quietly into an area and waiting patiently is productive. There is not much point in moving in areas where it is so thick it's noisy. I have been out sitting when there is a crust of snow and you can hear the deer before they hear or see you. In my neck of the woods there are deer everywhere, you just have to wait for them.

I think it is a really subjective and personal preference question, whatever means of hunting gives you the most satisfaction is the right means.

brig
07-15-2015, 07:12 PM

This. i have found that getting into the bush and just sitting in a decent spot will produce far more animals than hiking around making noise.

dino
07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
To the op, if the animals you are hunting arent moving then you have to go make them move. I believe that every style of hunting has its place and time, being able to know when to use a certain style is the challenge. Being versed in a few different styles and knowing when to apply them is very important for continual success. Some believe that its luck but to the guys that are always successful know that its not. They make their own luck.
Your not going to learn much about your prey if your always driving around, you need to get out and wear out your boots every season for a few years and only then after about 4 or 5 pairs you will start understanding what your chasing. But drinking beer and driving around with some buddys is still a hell of alot of fun and thats what its really all about.

Rob
07-15-2015, 08:26 PM
I park my truck in an area I want to check out or already know deer are around, fire up my gps and spend a few hours exploring. Take your time as someone mentioned its easy to spoke the game if your just hiking around. When u get home download the gps on google earth and have a look at where you went.

fun2ride0
07-16-2015, 12:31 AM
I often wondered if hiking through the trees spooks animals more due to the noise vs. Sitting at a cutback patiently waiting.

TheProvider
07-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Road hunting is successful due to the fact you can cover a lot of ground rather quickly compared to burning boot leather. I like burning boot leather and getting out to learn new areas and continue to learn in my honey holes. I am adventurous and always curious what's over the next ridge or down the next valley. A lot depends on what animal I am pursuing on how far off the road I'll go. There are plenty of pockets right beside roads that hold deer that people just drive by and don't bother exploring. I like the peacefulness and solitude of being out and away from everyone. I don't even like hearing vehicles or atv's.

Whether your road hunting, sitting in a cut block, treestand/blind, spot or stalking and still hunting you can easily spook game if you aren't paying attention. Some methods are more challenging than others but if your paying attention and learning all are successful methods.

GoatGuy
07-16-2015, 07:54 AM

Is that like walk little, as in only when you have to take a dump?

Otherwise stick to the road hammer program.

07-16-2015, 08:14 AM
I love road hunters. I never have to worry about bumping into anyone in the bush because nearly every hunter seems reluctant to leave sight of their vehicle. It's great for guys like me who like to hunt with a pack on.

gunsandhoses
07-16-2015, 09:11 AM
I ways figured that i had to make my own luck.....

hunt they way you bellive its best suited for you, one mate climbs mountains and walks 25 - 30 km a day, another stays close to his truck in his wheelchair - both have venison in the deepfreeze every season...

va7bkl
07-16-2015, 09:50 AM
I much prefer getting out and walking/still hunting. Ive learned a lot that way, although whether that knowledge is leading to becoming more successful with getting an animal or not is still up for debate lol. My experience hunting in the Okanagan is that most of my success has been from road hunting while driving to the specific spot I wanted to hunt in. Also, I don't know how many times Ive driven and parked somewhere, walked for 1-2 hours only to notice a bed or other good types of sign within 30 yards of where I parked my Jeep (as I return to the jeep from the other direction). I still get out and walk lots because its my preferred method, whether or not its the best. As much as I love bringing home an animal, It's not required for me to have a successful hunt, its just the icing on the cake.

brian
07-16-2015, 10:15 AM
I often wondered if hiking through the trees spooks animals more due to the noise vs. Sitting at a cutback patiently waiting.

It depends on how you are moving and the kind of noise you are making. I find prey animals are much more concerned when the noises you make sound like you are trying to be sneaky. That puts them in high alert. Last year I was "sneaking" through chest high salal trying to sound like how a deer walks and giving the odd doe bleat. Being quiet in those circumstances was utterly impossible. I was pursuing a deer I had heard but not seen. When I finally caught up with her at 30 yards, she was unalarmed and eventually moved off slowly after I had a chance to both range find her and set up for a shot (poorly). Why I did not shoot is another matter all together. But no doubt about it she knew I was there and she did not think I was an immediate threat. This was in a doe open area so she should have been as wary and as cautious as any other deer out there. I have seen this sort of thing before but never as clearly as under these circumstances. I have also seen the ass end of a deer many many times while trying my best to sneak through the woods. So all noise is not equal. Saying that my best opportunities have generally been when I find a good place to hunker down and sit off of a good deer trail.

HarryToolips
07-16-2015, 12:28 PM
i love road hunters. I never have to worry about bumping into anyone in the bush because nearly every hunter seems reluctant to leave sight of their vehicle. It's great for guys like me who like to hunt with a pack on.
x2.......................

epicZERO74
07-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Why not mix all the different tactics? Walk till your tired, then road hunt , then when your feeling rested, find a nice spot and try walking again.

fun2ride0
07-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Sounds like everyone else is doing a compost I action of everything. How many of you glass during your walking hunts vs how many just keep your eyes open?

zippermouth
07-17-2015, 02:36 PM
theres more to it than just going for a walk. seems that ever since social media got on the program that, unless you get out of the truck and pound miles your not a hunter. people have been leaving there trucks a lot more, I don't think they are any more successful but to each there own. I enjoy leaving the roads, and finding game rich areas, but I know I could fill a tag year after year from the comfort of my truck, as there is good habitat that a road cuts right through. do what you enjoy, seems guys put down road hunters for no reason. I really like road hunters, as its one less guy staying away from where I'll be hunting!!!

moosinaround
07-17-2015, 03:42 PM
I am hunting as soon as I enter the area I can legally take out my rifle and kill something. I always have a few spots picked out to go look at, as someone else knows your secret spot too! I will road hunt till I get to the spot I want to venture into by ATV, or foot. Then I head in, glassing, smelling, listening, and calling. If I dont get any response or action, I will find a nice place to sit down and just enjoy the smells and sounds that being in the wilderness provides. Then I will head back out to the truck and try a different spot. I usually see or hear something every time I go into the woods. Enjoy the outdoors, and if you kill a critter, then all the better! Just get out into the bush and hunt however the mood strikes you! Moosin

SWD
07-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Still hunting is something I am good at.
Take no more than 2 steps,then pause.
Look for horizontal lines (could be an animal's back),
Be aware of thermals and the wind,use this to your advantage.
Use binocs ,compass,flagging tape and deer call.

Be one with the deer!
I have taken 10 deer with bow, 12-35 yards.
And more with rifle.

jbruce
07-18-2015, 07:33 AM
you can't hunt without binoculars!!! even in the thickest shit you hunt in stand and look for five minutes then put the glasses up and you will be amazed at what will come into view.lean forward or take half a step and you've got a complete new landscape to decipher.it takes a lot of patience to slow down to this pace,but you have to remember animals do this shit for a living,they will stand and stare threw the brush waiting to see movement against the backdrop,its up to you to spot them before they make you for what you are and slink off or worse,bolt off and take all their buddys with them.

brian
07-18-2015, 02:59 PM
you can't hunt without binoculars!!! even in the thickest shit you hunt in stand and look for five minutes then put the glasses up and you will be amazed at what will come into view.lean forward or take half a step and you've got a complete new landscape to decipher.it takes a lot of patience to slow down to this pace,but you have to remember animals do this shit for a living,they will stand and stare threw the brush waiting to see movement against the backdrop,its up to you to spot them before they make you for what you are and slink off or worse,bolt off and take all their buddys with them.

When I started doing this I saw way more heads and as lot less ass ends of animals!

HarryToolips
07-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Still hunting is something I am good at.
Take no more than 2 steps,then pause.
Look for horizontal lines (could be an animal's back),
Be aware of thermals and the wind,use this to your advantage.
Use binocs ,compass,flagging tape and deer call.

Be one with the deer!
I have taken 10 deer with bow, 12-35 yards.
And more with rifle.
Exactly, and using the compass in conjuction with landmarks if possible in the area your hunting will speed up the navigation process..unless your using a GPS but that takes the fun and challenge out of it...

Good tip on the slowing down, I think that's my problem!

wideopenthrottle
07-18-2015, 04:18 PM
my technique is get out to a predetermined spot not too far in the shit (I like to find a trail that can be walked in the dark but not drivable) before first light and sit until fully light...they will be moving on their own at that time....after full light if nothing has come your way, it is time to walk...I will walk slowly judging the quality of the terrain with a set number of paces (ie if in a prime area 1,2 or 3 paces max before stopping and looking) if in a less than prime area maybe I set a max of 8 or 12 paces...the max I will step is 20 paces even if I am on a road....after 11 or 12 I head back for lunch...between lunch and 2 I may scout a new spot further out by vehicle (arguably road hunting at that point)...then it is afternoon stalking until about an hour of light left...then I find a spot nearer to the vehicle/pickup point/campsite to sit, call and wait...as the days go on I will stalk further and further until I reach a distance that I might consider packing overnight gear...