PDA

View Full Version : tanning a bear hide

204rug.ftw
07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
I shot a black bear this spring and salted the rug its been hanging for awhile now dry, and I want to get it done. im interested in doing it myself but I don't know what I need for tanning a hide or where to buy it in town here. its not a huge bear just a nice rug so im wondering if it would be more efficient to take it to a taxidermist or tannery to get it done? or does anyone know of an easy way to preserve the hide as a rug on your own it would be preferred. what chemicals, oils and equipement are needed is what im wondering and is it relatively easy to find? thanks

Wentrot
07-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Very easy. Me and the hunting partner did a bear rug before ever even doing a skull lol we used this

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/61349/trappers-hunters-hide-tanning-formula

Stainless
07-15-2015, 11:16 AM
I've recently done an editorial on this exact subject. I rugged my own bear recently and it was a piece of cake. Medium size bear as well. I have attached step by step instructions on everything you will need to do! Enjoy your dive into taxidermy!
www.deaddriftmedia.com/blog/howtorugabear (http://www.deaddriftmedia.com/blog/howtorugabear)

Wentrot
07-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Good article Stainless, curious as to why you didn't keep the paws or head on er?

Stainless
07-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Good article Stainless, curious as to why you didn't keep the paws or head on er?
I chose not too because as this was my first attempt at rugging a bear I didn't want to improperly do the head and claws as they can be trouble areas. I think for the next one I might give it a go. Didn't look to bad in hindsight.

Monashee
07-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Using alum is the easiest but is not really tanning , you need to redo the alum about every 10 years

204rug.ftw
07-15-2015, 03:57 PM
all good info thanks abunch

Chango
07-15-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm going to be attempting one soon too. Anyone have any info/advice on splitting the lips, nose and ears as well as dealing with the claws?