PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose 5-1

7mm mag
07-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Got a bull moose draw for 5-1. Ive never hunted in this are before.

September 10-30th

Always hunted for moose in Prince George and Vanderhoof.

I dont need to know where to find one tied up, just the general area of where I can camp (tent trailer) or cabins available to rent.

Thanks
7mm Mag

gutpile
07-14-2015, 02:23 PM
I got the draw last year , your going to need a lot of luck
to get a moose out of that area .
It was a comeplete waste of time for that area .
I was there almost two weeks there.
i think that area is shot out .

levind
07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Ive never hunted moose in 5-1 but i have in 5-2. My best advice is go for the opening weekend and scout for some good areas try to find some cows and if your lucky maybe get a bull BUT spend most of your time at the end of the draw and call in spots you found cows. the bulls will be answering and coming to cow calls at the end of your draw period.

floden
07-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Hi congrats on getting the draw. You can camp along Eagan Bonaparte almost anywhere. Drive in from 70 mile house. There are a few govt campgrounds to choose from. I've been up in that area since forever and yes there are moose there, but....take the first one you see cause he's it.

like you'd imagine get out of the truck and get into the cut blocks. There are tons of good roads and it can be a bit like Dakaar rally . I'm not on here much but pm me and I'll tell you what I know!

poper
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
We stay at pressy lake last year, great camp ground,but it was tough hunting,buddy got a 4pt thow.Good luck

CaribooBC
07-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Our Moose population seems to be at an all time low. There are very few left in 5-1. Get up early and get into the swamps, September can be and usually is still very warm and buggy, so if you are lucky to get one you will have to work fast to get it out and cooling. With the logging of Mountain Pine Beetle wood and all of the existing trails there are very few places that are far enough off the beaten path for the Moose to escape the hunters, yes they are getting shot out in 5-1 and the ticks in the past 5 or so years have been really tough on them as well. Don't forget a Whitetail tag, their population is doing quite well in certain pockets. Good Luck!

Cyrus
07-15-2015, 01:54 AM
usually very warm as stated above. i agree with not passing anything up...not that i would for moose anyway. easy winter last year but they are getting harder to find it seems.

gutpile
07-15-2015, 05:42 AM
I'm surprised that they allow an LEH in that area with such low number
Of moose in there .

ElliotMoose
07-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Howdy! when ya headed up? I have a cabin in the area and have hunted it since I was a toddler. I can usually find a lovesick bull or two hangin around that time of year. Been 5 years since we got the draw so my brother and I are itchin to get in on a local moose hunt. All I ask is that you supply the campfire whiskey when one goes down! PM me if interested.

chris

7mm mag
07-16-2015, 10:01 AM
thanks for the info my draw is sept 10 to 30 i know it will be hot but that is all i could manage to get of work the same time as my son and daughter.

7mm mag
07-16-2015, 10:07 AM
has anybody camped at lorin lake in 5-1 area? thanks

recoil
07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Nope, but dont believe anyone that says there are no moose in the area they are in pockets, bull to cow ratio is not great though. I also have been trying to win that draw for many years to no avail, we will be elk hunting this year instead. I have actually seen more moose in the interlakes area vs the northern part of the zone although i have seen a couple up there too. Hunt first light and last light with a siesta in the afternoon, i owuld not go uo there until after Sept 20 too hot..

7mm mag
07-17-2015, 10:48 AM
thanks for the info unfornately my bull draw is for sept 10 to 30

kevan
07-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm surprised that they allow an LEH in that area with such low number
Of moose in there .

Seriously, that is the pathetic part...

ElliotMoose
07-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Not only is there a season.. last year it was for 250 bull tags! I'm all for hunting opportunities, but only if the population can support it. There are moose there no doubt but 250 tags is a little excessive IMO, especially with the amount of road access and logging throughout the region

rgn5hunt
07-17-2015, 11:36 PM
Moose in any Region 5 area have not been shot out by regulated hunting. There has been large Pine salvage areas. More than anything the biggest negative affect to wildlife is the political management from Williams Lake MOE. They sure know how to keep and feed the primary predators!

wideopenthrottle
07-18-2015, 07:21 AM
I have had best luck there near the lakes in the poplar groves (last treed areas)...it is nasty what has happened there...I was there one year when the area had been selectively logged for beetle with almost no pine left in the area...it was about 5 years later I went in there and lo and behold it had been logged again for everything else ...heard some stories about politics and special favours but rumours are rumours

recoil
07-18-2015, 10:01 AM
The large number of leh authorizations are not the problem, of the 200 plus draws they are maybe a few dozen guys that actually show up and know what they are doing, in my opinion. There are also many spots for moose to hide out despite the logging and they do seem to enjoy feeding in the fresh cuts first and last light (hint).

It is the cow population that truly determines future recruitment and there is no leh cow draw for this zone and hasnt been for a while. I believe the decrease in moose has a lot to do with wolves moving in, one moose was killed by wolves two years ago right in deka lake subdivision. But also unregulated cow shooting by locals, i have met guys in 100 mile who brag about getting a juicy moose calf in that zone every year because their in law, friend or whatever was native and along for the ride.

I have yet to run into a CO there other then passing one on the highway, i think setting up a robo cow moose/calf there would be an eye opener for them.