PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunting help offered.

BiG Boar
07-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Hey guys,

I am a newer hunter but have hunted both of the bison hunting areas. I can provide insight to what is needed to make your hunt successful. I have been on 3 hunts and have been able to kill bison each time. It takes a lot of preparation but will help with making sure you're ready for it. I can also tell you how I've hunted them.

This hunt can easily cost upwards of $3500, so don't apply for this draw if you can't afford to actually make the hunt. Think snowmobile rental at $800 per week.

PM me for questions you might have. I'm not an expert but feel I could help people going in blind.

monasheemountainman
07-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Good thread, I can offer a bit too, also if you live in the okanagan I have two skimmers anyone can borrow to pull behind the sleds...they were a big help in my hunt!

srupp
07-14-2015, 01:39 AM
Great job Dave...
Cheers
Stevej

landphil
07-14-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm all ears. Part of a 4 guy shared hunt for 7-57B for the last 1/2 of October. I'm thinking quads would be more useful at that time? I guess it could go either way at that time of year.

browningboy
07-14-2015, 06:53 AM
I'm all ears. Part of a 4 guy shared hunt for 7-57B for the last 1/2 of October. I'm thinking quads would be more useful at that time? I guess it could go either way at that time of year.

You will be fine with quads at that time ( unless winter hits early as generally starts around Halloween)been up the quite a bit, just never lucky enough for that draw.

monasheemountainman
07-14-2015, 07:21 AM
You camping or staying at sitkanni river ranch?

BiG Boar
07-14-2015, 08:57 AM
PM me any questions landphil, you will most likely 98% be using a quad.

browningboy
07-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Stay at the old land strip on mile 171 on the left go in 5 miles and you're there, set up camp and find sign, shoot Buffalo , not much more to it, most of my buddies have done their draw and all the same ( except for me), once you find them, they are easy

REMINGTON JIM
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM

Right on ! good for you - and Quads will be the ticket in the the fall - UNLESS they get a Giant dump of Snow ! :biggrin: RJ

landphil
07-14-2015, 11:48 PM
You camping or staying at sitkanni river ranch?

Don't know yet - if the rates are good, we might rent a cabin to keep it easy. Have a tent, stove, etc to camp too, so could go either way. Still trying to figure out how much public access there is to zone B, and if it's by quad trail or road or both. Still in the very early stages of planning, but it's coming fast, and the wife & I have an early shared moose draw to chase before then too. Not that I'm complaining.

BigBore - thanks for the offer - I'll take you up on that with a PM soon I am sure.

Browningboy - thanks for the pointers.

Junmity
07-15-2015, 02:00 PM
My son and I got the 7-57A October 16-31

We were in FSJ last September so we took a drive up to do a little scouting cause I knew I'd eventually go on this hunt.

We drove into pink mountain road till we got to a gate and a sign that said Miskoka wildlife management (I think) so we turned around headed for pink mountain and camped at the base for a couple days. Was very cool, heard lots of wolfs and saw lot of Moose sign.

Sounds like ATV will do this time of the year (fingers crossed)
Diesel 350 to get me up to base camp.

Wondering if weather will allow for camping or if I should rent a cabin and if so any suggestions on cabins.

Thanks,

Junmity
07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Looking at the maps,

Seems like a pretty big area but all the posts I read show that most people are hunting in the same area?

There can only be 20 bison being hunted in that time but it seems like people are bumping into each other quite a bit. Is this a common experience?

landphil
07-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Right on ! good for you

Coulda / shoulda / woulda bought your .375 Ruger if I'd known.:wink:

Daybreak
07-15-2015, 07:18 PM
One of the biggest hurdles in that country is road conditions. Anyone planning on taking a truck deep in from the highway should have good tires and chains available. Rain and the roads become treacherous. If you aren't prepared for that you might find yourselves stuck or worse yet off the roads altogether and then you're not going to be hunting much.

REMINGTON JIM
07-15-2015, 09:02 PM

My rifle of choice i will use if i ever get a Bison draw will be my BLR 450 Marlin ! RJ

Mik
07-15-2015, 10:11 PM
I have a .338 for sale ��pm me if your interested and not to hijack the thread, I too can help with info as Ive been up there before ��

BiG Boar
07-20-2015, 05:14 PM
A few guys have PM'd me so far. I'm happy to help. This is a tough hunt if you get an early season draw. I won't give away any locations, but I can tell you what not to do. Quading up and down the only road with 40 other bison hunters and moose hunters is pretty much a waste of gas.

Junmity
07-21-2015, 12:06 PM
Does anyone have a GPS coordinate of the Pink Mountain Ranch. They list it on their site as North 05 04 '927 West 63 30 '227

everytime i punch that in, I get somewhere east of Quebec....

Thanks,

Junmity
07-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Zone A Tresspass fee.

When I was in the area last September I stayed at a motel just before the turnoff to Pink Mountain Road and some of the staff said that it was a regular occurance to see Bison cross the road.... I have no problem paying the tresspass fee, but I'm just wondering why everyone says its unavoidable? Is that because there is the highest likelyhood of Bison within that area? Anyone ever shoot one closer than 25k from Hwy 97?

Stroodle
07-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Just a word of caution to anyone planning on using UTV's for accessing the Muskwa management area - I got harassed and fined by the Game branch for using my Rhino in there. 500Kg dry weight restriction. You can pile as much stuff as you want ON the machine, but the listed dry weight was the issue. I was over by 21Kg and was told by the COs that they were trying to get a chopper in to fly it out on my dime. In the end I was given a $200 or 250 fine (can't quite recall) and wasn't able to use it the rest of the trip (they couldn't get a chopper in that late in the day they claimed). I also only had 30 days to pay or they would suspend my hunting license.

wideopenthrottle
07-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Just a word of caution to anyone planning on using UTV's for accessing the Muskwa management area - I got harassed and fined by the Game branch for using my Rhino in there. 500Kg dry weight restriction. You can pile as much stuff as you want ON the machine, but the listed dry weight was the issue. I was over by 21Kg and was told by the COs that they were trying to get a chopper in to fly it out on my dime. In the end I was given a $200 or 250 fine (can't quite recall) and wasn't able to use it the rest of the trip (they couldn't get a chopper in that late in the day they claimed). I also only had 30 days to pay or they would suspend my hunting license.

holy crap they threatened to make you pay for a chopper ride and they threatened to take you hunting license if the fine wasn't paid...that sounds pretty heavy handed !!!

Stone C. Killer
07-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I always kinda wondered about that rule as the outfitter in neves creek (besa river outfitters I believe?) Uses a John deer gator up all over that area. Also seen lots of guys with Polaris rangers in there (I believe both of these units are over 500kgs)

I'm in the market for one so is this rule actually enforced in these areas or what??

HCH
07-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks Big Boar for the info. I have been reading older threads on the site also. Some really good advice.

JustinG
07-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Have been 2 years in a row in October both lived up to the "hunt of a lifetime" tag - not this year unfortunately. PM me if you want info on the hunt, Pink Mountain Ranch etc.

Barracuda
07-24-2015, 10:37 AM
the biggest problem I have is getting drawn lol

Bear Chaser
07-24-2015, 07:03 PM

Excellent.
I'm glad F&W are enforcing ATV and weight restrictions. Hopefully they'll start doing the same with the dark skinned people that frequent the area as well.
I get a kick out of guys that post their bison photos and stories on HBC describing areas that they cannot have accessed legally using ATVs.

browningboy
07-24-2015, 08:39 PM
If you're drawn I can't see you getting skunked unless you just are in the wrong management unit! Lol they are like cows , well almost just a hair smarter

BiG Boar
07-27-2015, 08:01 AM
If you're drawn I can't see you getting skunked unless you just are in the wrong management unit! Lol they are like cows , well almost just a hair smarter

I completely disagree. I would say 80% or higher go home skunked. Its not like it was 10 years ago. These things are getting smarter to vehicles. Can't just drive up to the herd like the old days.

kootenaycarver
07-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Just checked Google Earth and Pink Mtn Ranch GPS Co-ords showed N57 01.380 and W122 54.640 for ranch HQ's. Refined it a little from my original post.

silvercreek20
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys, I got the draw for Nov 1 to 15th. (Zone A) Quads? Sleds? Ideas for that time frame? I went on this draw about 10 years ago and we stayed on the ranch. Does anyone have that contact info still? It didn't come with the package like it did last time my uncle got the draw.

Wydtrak
08-05-2015, 01:24 PM
I just saw a large part of the Bison herd on July 31. We came across about 200 of them while on a horseback trip up the Sikanni. A couple of our loaded pack horses were spooked and ran off. We have tried everything to find them. I have rented a helicopter as well as a plane to fly the area several times with no luck. So i ask that while you guys are hunting to keep an eye out for any gear bags or horse equipment. It's a shot in the dark but i have to try. They may still show up somewhere but i am sure the gear will be gone. Its a very large loss both financially and emotionally for my family so a reward will be paid for any info or gear returned. The outfitter is aware and is also keeping an eye out. Oh and there are some monster sized bulls in the group. Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

Wydtrak
08-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Re: Lost pack horses.
The missing pack horses have been found. One still had the pack on after 19 days. Amazing. A few sores but he will heal up fine.

Bear Chaser
08-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Re: Lost pack horses.
The missing pack horses have been found. One still had the pack on after 19 days. Amazing. A few sores but he will heal up fine.

Heard this from a friend today. Glad to hear that you recovered your animals and some of your gear.

digger dogger
08-21-2015, 06:04 AM
Sweet man, happy to hear u got them back:-)

JBA
08-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Sons and I have 2 bison tags in Zone A for Oct. 16-31. Understand we have to pay to cross Blueberry First Nation's land? Any idea how much and where the "toll gate" is located? Heard there's cabins for rent but not sure where or who to contact? Also heard that "horse camp" is a great place to stay, but a 25 k quad ride in. Are there cabins there too? Who to contact? Can't find good maps so can't pinpoint any locations.

Getbent
08-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Great offer Dave...one day one day...

44inchStone
08-24-2015, 10:55 PM
I added this on one o the past threads. Understand where you can take your quads and snowmobiles for these hunts. I have seen the CO's in there more than once enforcing the restriction and I'm sure they would be more than happy to ding someone that does not know where the vehicle restrictions are for both weights and location. Saying that you didn't know where the NO GO line was won't cut it. The zone I was in was 7-57

map H19 Muskwa-Kechika Access Management Area(situated in MUs 7-36, 7-42, 7-43, 7-50, 7-51, 7-52, 7-54, 7-57)and Klingzut Mountain Motor Vehicle Closed Area (situatedin MU 7-42). Maps showing boundaries and motor vehicleroutes within the Muskwa-Kechika AMA can be viewed in theMinistry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operationsoffices in Fort Nelson, or in Fort St John [(250) 787-3225],and ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp/fortstjohn/muskwa/maps/index.html Larger scale maps can be purchased fromMcElhanney Associates in Fort St. John [(250) 787-0356].South of district lot 1229 on the West Toad River corridortravel is restricted to within 10 metres of route and vehiclesunder 500 kg only.

BiG Boar
08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Sons and I have 2 bison tags in Zone A for Oct. 16-31. Understand we have to pay to cross Blueberry First Nation's land? Any idea how much and where the "toll gate" is located? Heard there's cabins for rent but not sure where or who to contact? Also heard that "horse camp" is a great place to stay, but a 25 k quad ride in. Are there cabins there too? Who to contact? Can't find good maps so can't pinpoint any locations.

Yeah, you should pretty much pay. They sort of have you by the short and curlys. There was an info package sent out to you. It has the phone number.

fearnodeer
08-25-2015, 06:05 AM
Would have to agree with big boar just pay the money, the amount seems to change every year.

BiG Boar
08-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Might be hard to get a hold of at this exact week in the year. Last year they had some kind of pow wow up there on this week. Heck, they seem to be hard to get a hold of at the best of times. So just keep trying. Also, don't expect prompt service when you show up at their gate. Its not an all night motel sort of thing. Its on their time. Yeah that sucks, but what are you gonna do.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-25-2015, 12:11 PM
brian , 250-787-6775 pink mt ranch # cabins are 125$ and trespass feel is 175$ and helpers are 125$

levind
09-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi All we have the october 15th draw for bison any info via pm would be greatly appreciated for the pink mountain area. First time for us going in there for bison.
Thanks

Junmity
10-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Can anyone give some insight into their habits?

Will they bed down for the afternoon and therefore I should concentrate on first and last light or do they chomp away at the grass all day?

Also would love to know how many of you had to hump your meat out by foot or were you able to get your atv in (re: non atv restricted areas)

What time of the day did you shoot your animal?

When you did shoot were they in the open or were they amoungst some trees ( I use the trees & pulleys to help me process my game)

Only a couple more sleeps.....

Thanks!

Junmity
10-04-2015, 12:49 PM
I have an inreach for two way / emergency contact, but when I checked the rogers wireless coverage map, it seems like there is decent coverage in the area?

true or faulse?

toad
10-04-2015, 04:36 PM
if you're talking about blueberry ranch there is cell service at the ranch....or least when i was there, there was

bc traper
10-04-2015, 04:45 PM
When we were there telus worked rogers did not

100MileGord
10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Is the trespass fee a daily fee?

CaribooBC
10-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Is the trespass fee a daily fee?
When I went with Toad on his hunt, it was a one time fee, but we also did stay at their cabins at Horse Camp.

bridger
10-31-2015, 07:23 AM
I have an inreach for two way / emergency contact, but when I checked the rogers wireless coverage map, it seems like there is decent coverage in the area?

true or faulse?

rogers cell service is not extensive in the Peace. Wouldn't rely on it

Darksith
11-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Good cell service...tower on pink mnt

bc traper
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Telus has good service Rodgers has no service as of last year

100MileGord
11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
brian , 250-787-6775 pink mt ranch # cabins are 125$ and trespass feel is 175$ and helpers are 125$

Thanks; the number works.

The guy I talked to says that they "don't do reservations". What kind of Indians are these, I ask myself.

Anyways, guy seems nice enough; the "helper" can also "help" with geographical orientation if needed.

CaribooBC
11-02-2015, 09:24 PM
They took reservations when we went a couple of years ago. Each year and even each week is different in what to expect from them.

Bunner
11-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Any word yet on where the bison are in 7-57a? Down low I am guessing.....

BiG Boar
11-16-2015, 12:25 AM
They will likely be everywhere. but keep in mind they hate machines and hunters. Which is down low. Personally I would do anything you can to avoid the crowds. Bring backpacks and legs, or horses.

Bunner
11-16-2015, 08:10 PM
K. Sounds like what I usually do, get off the path and away from everyone Any areas you would suggest I work?

CoreShackJack
11-17-2015, 12:06 AM
They will likely be everywhere. but keep in mind they hate machines and hunters. Which is down low. Personally I would do anything you can to avoid the crowds. Bring backpacks and legs, or horses.

We covered decent ground south of the Upper Halfway River. Camped quite far down the Genesis road (at the fuel cache, where the big fuel drums are). We hiked a decent 12km through the forests and along the river banks. Before the snow came in, we weren't seeing much for sign. Occasional Bison hair (rubbed off on trees/branches) but that was old. We weren't seeing any Bison sign otherwise, no cow-pies or track. Wondering if anyone has a better inkling for where they may be? We ran into a set of four hunters on two quads who came through our camp but we didn't hear any success (gunshots). What was supposed to be 3cm of snow overnight in the forecast ended up being a lot more and we BARELY got the truck out of where it was parked. We are in the process of re-mustering, regrouping, and moving camp. We are guys who want to put our boots to ground with no intention in driving quads all day but we fear getting skunked in the wrong area. Ideas anyone?

BiG Boar
11-17-2015, 07:22 AM
On google earth you're looking for areas that are buckbrush or are quite open. This is where the bison feed. Almost all open areas will have bison at some point. The other strategy is to get up to a high point and glass down into the valleys. Glass for a minimum of 2 hours from a good vantage point in the morning or evening.

Fresh snow is a huge help if you get some. cover ground until you Find a fresh looking track and start following them on foot. Usually you will soon come to a cow patty and if its not frozen, get after them! You will catch up to them so don't make a lot of noise.

The early season hunt is way harder as they can feed way higher. One mountain over and they are safe. If you can, get over the first range, and you will find bison eating at their leisure. They hate the sound of quads though.

Bunner
11-18-2015, 11:25 PM
We covered decent ground south of the Upper Halfway River. Camped quite far down the Genesis road (at the fuel cache, where the big fuel drums are). We hiked a decent 12km through the forests and along the river banks. Before the snow came in, we weren't seeing much for sign. Occasional Bison hair (rubbed off on trees/branches) but that was old. We weren't seeing any Bison sign otherwise, no cow-pies or track. Wondering if anyone has a better inkling for where they may be? We ran into a set of four hunters on two quads who came through our camp but we didn't hear any success (gunshots). What was supposed to be 3cm of snow overnight in the forecast ended up being a lot more and we BARELY got the truck out of where it was parked. We are in the process of re-mustering, regrouping, and moving camp. We are guys who want to put our boots to ground with no intention in driving quads all day but we fear getting skunked in the wrong area. Ideas anyone?

So do you think that they would be hanging out at the blueberry reserve or north of the halfway river?? Do you know what the best way around that area is?

HCH
11-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Does Anyone have any updates on snow conditions up at Pink Mountain? How many inches on the ground? Any info is appreciated.

Sitkaspruce
11-24-2015, 07:53 PM
4-6" as of last Friday on the 132 rd. We had a skiff yesterday, but that it. Supposed to be warm and dry for the next week, so the snow will be even less.

Buddy is up on the Halfway right now he said they had 4" of snow and some ice.

Cheers

SS

HCH
11-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update SS.

BiG Boar
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Seeing a few bison hit the ground as of late. Not a lot of posts on here though.

BiG Boar
12-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Anyone have the current phone number for the Blueberry Ranch? The old number isn't working.

kobus
07-18-2016, 11:39 PM
how did your hunt go i have a draw for that area this year any pointers?

2448Mike
09-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I am headed up to Zone B for Bison Oct 16-31 this year. Would love an update from last years hunt as well. Thx.

2448Mike
10-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Just coming back from out Oct 16-31 hunt. Filled both tags in zone B. Any questions feel free to pm me. Lots of Bison in the zone and plenty of tags being filled.

fearnodeer
10-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Thanks Big Boar for this thread, God Bless

xfactor
10-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Just coming back from out Oct 16-31 hunt. Filled both tags in zone B. Any questions feel free to pm me. Lots of Bison in the zone and plenty of tags being filled.

How about some pics for motivation:)... Will be contacting you for intel, as we are heading up jan 1 to 15.

2448Mike
10-24-2016, 08:31 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6041&stc=1
This should motivate you :). There are Bison up in them there hills

2448Mike
10-24-2016, 08:36 AM
That was a herd of around 100 that was chased off over the hill on opening day by some other hunters. This was about a mile off with very thick blow down between us so we had opted out of pursuing them. As you can see below it all worked out well for us.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6042&stc=1

Salmon Belly
10-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Nice to see Big Boar's legacy living on in this thread.

SB

piebe
11-14-2016, 11:15 PM
HI There .leaving friday 4 guys staying in a wall tent any info would be welcome

xfactor
11-30-2016, 05:37 PM
HI There .leaving friday 4 guys staying in a wall tent any info would be welcome

any updates? how did you do??