PDA

View Full Version : information regarding 6-30A for Moose (Hazelton)

Paulyman
07-13-2015, 10:58 PM
I got a draw for this area as im looking to see new places around BC every year. How's the moose populations around here? Anyone here ever get an leh in this area?

Paul

two-feet
07-14-2015, 06:21 AM
The moose are there, but in pockets. I have had the draw several times and have never seen a moose from the truck, always on foot off in the bush. Logging is almost non-existent in the Kispiox Valley theses days so most everything is overgrown. You can access the zone several different ways. The guys in the know always seem to get their moose, quite often out of the same honey holes. If you google earth it you will see there is a ton of swamps easily accessed, that is the best place to start. Moose density is generally low so that is why there is a large number of tags over a long season.

To be honest, without local knowledge or some good luck it can be a bit frustrating.

Pangaea
07-14-2015, 08:02 AM
After trying a couple of times, I got this draw this year. I have friends in the valley and have fished the Skeena/Kispiox for 25 years. Only ever seen moose from the road a handful of times, but even 100m back, they are there... Lots of area though, and some of the most beautiful country you'll ever hunt!

gitnadoix
07-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Went there a few years back to help a friend out with his draw.....we left after it became clear that we were not welcome and could not leave camp unattended ....I'll say no more on that subject. It was reported with license plate numbers etc...

Steeleco
07-14-2015, 01:51 PM
I was there helping also, my buddy got a tip from the gas attendant the worked out quite well. If you like bears, there's not shortage of them. We were there in 2012 things may have soured?

brig
07-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Me and a buddy got a shared moose draw for 6-30 this year too. First time ever getting an leh after 9 years of trying. We are going to do whatever it takes to find a moose up there. Are there many deer in the region to or just lots of bear?

two-feet
07-15-2015, 07:27 AM
There are both mules and whities in pockets. There are some decent areas accessed off of hwy 37, especially if you are willing to walk in.

pnbrock
07-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Lucky guy I got another year of disappointment.

Cordillera
07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Find a swamp away from the roads. Put up a tree stand. Call and wait.

The brush up there is crazy so you have to get where you can see. The moose densities are actually decent but without any logging it is advantage moose.

Paulyman
07-16-2015, 06:10 PM
I love calling moose, so that will work well.
Find a swamp away from the roads. Put up a tree stand. Call and wait.

The brush up there is crazy so you have to get where you can see. The moose densities are actually decent but without any logging it is advantage moose.

Paulyman
07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
I have heard from another member that the bulls in here are on the bigger side, anyone here get one that can chime in?

Blacktail 270
07-22-2015, 10:29 AM
I've hunted 6-30 up off the kispoix a few times and I've never seen a moose on the main fsr's. Best time to hunt is the last week of sept and the first week of October for the rut. Bring your raingear and be prepared to hunt off the roads. Lots of chickens to be had in the past few years. Cooler space isn't always easy to find but the sausage factory in Smithers has never let me down. Been happy with the service they provide but they can be very busy. As for deer, I haven't seen any where I've explored up the kispoix fsr. In my experience, I wouldn't be picky up in 6-30 for a giant moose. If it's a bull, fill your tag. It's a long drive from the lower mainland to go home empty handed. Good luck with your moose draw.