PDA

View Full Version : I'm Hooked - TURKEY

300H&H
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Dad & I went out opening morning. We saw 2 hens but no toms or jakes. The C.O. stopped us to check lic./guns/ect. We were the only hunters to have seen birds that morning. Just luck or are we good ?
So I went out today (left at 4:20am to get in) but I think I was late getting in. It was light enough to not have my head lights on. Next time Im outta here @ 3am. After a stop at Tim Hortons I think the time will be just right. So on the way in & on the road was 2 HUGE TOMS !!! They ran off the side into posted & fenced land. Sh_t !!! I stopped where they went in and used my new slate call. On the other side of the road a TOM GOBBLED to me. Again it was posted land. Sh_t !!! Then the other 2 toms gobbled back. It was like sterio gobbling. That was cool. In a panic, I drove up the road about 200 yards where it was not posted or fenced. Got out, used my call again and yet another TOM farther up the road answered. Then I heard hens. Im thinking...CRANBERRY SAUCE & STUFFING with my bird tonight !!! Quietly I walked in to the bush and heard even more birds. I sat by a good tree and called. TOMS & HENS answered to me left & right. Maybe CARROTS & PEAS would be good to I thought. I would call...they would answer, but after a hour no bird & they stopped calling. Did I screw up ? I think I got to them a hour to late. They may have come down from the roost & I just missed them. I did get 4 more birds to answer but did not see any of them. I saw 5 trucks with hunters but again it was only me who saw birds. I guess they should get out of the truck & walk/call. Over all it was a great day hunting. Now I'M HOOKED ON TURKEY !!!

Im going out tomorrow @ 3am. I'll leave a note for the wife. I hope she wont be to mad when I get back. Ah...who cares !

boxhitch
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Good on'ya. Those P.P. signs can be a downer, hey ? I've looked at one spot like that, crown land just 1.5 km. further up , but no birds that high. Let me know if you come up with a looooong range calling tech. that works. Good luck in the a.m.