PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Jervis inlet

recoil
07-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Interested to know if anyone travels up the north end of Jervis inlet and if the roads/bridges up the valley are still intact and passable with a 4x4 quad. I have an elk draw for zone "Q". Talked to a local packer and did not get much of a definate answer other than that they will indeed ferry the machine in for a fee. Not much help if the two bridges are washed out and roads grown in...

Looking for some recent info, google earth images are 5 years old.

thanks in advance.

Ricky Bobby
07-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Drainage specific. Which ones in particular?

recoil
07-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Looks like the main area is Skwawka river drainage

Ricky Bobby
07-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Looks like the main area is Skwawka river drainage

Last I heard no bridges. You can get a machine up when there is no rain. Up there that's few and far between, mountain bikes can work too.

Big bulls and lots of elk, tough hunt. Watch for grizzlies.

GoatGuy
07-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Cutblocks at the front end which are accessible by mtn bike or quad.

To get further back the main valley is tough going on a quad. Best to take a backpack and/or a game cart. Expect to be fording some pretty significant along the way.

Loads of grizzlies in the area at that time of year - most people stay on a boat (yes the bears are that bad).

Make sure you keep a spotless camp - have fun, there are definitely elk in there.

chinook
07-13-2015, 05:40 AM
The main bridges over Skwawka and Hunaechin are in place. The log dump closer to town at Smanit should also be mostly open. As far as I know there hasnt been much logging up there for the last 5 years so things are probably pretty grown in. Its a tough hunt. Try contacting the Interfor office in Sechelt as its their area.

recoil
07-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reports, we are prepared to hike and are not afraid to get off the road to get a big bull, we do have packs/game carts and mountain bikes and will most likely be bringing all.

ACB
07-13-2015, 10:35 AM
It,s a PINK year so all the bears of both verities will be on the river's. We were spring blackie hunting up there a number of years a go and talking to the caretaker up there said he a photo with 7 grizz fishing in one photo, probably pretty much the whole population at time. That being said when we were blackie hunting we did see a a beautiful silver tip right on the road just past the Hunaechin bridge. We never saw any Elk just tracks but they were still doing transplants back then. It's a beautiful area, the sight seeing is worth the trip alone, good luck with your Elk hunt. P.S. take along a crab trap too.

Cody1771
07-14-2016, 07:27 AM
reviving this to see who else pulled this draw?

BCHoyt
07-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Worked up in that area over 8 years ago and there were a ton of Grizzly then too, Be prepared and safe!

corey
07-19-2016, 05:06 PM
What are they charging to ferry up a quad?

Brandonjensen
07-19-2016, 05:44 PM
We did the last logging up there about 5 maybe 6 years ago bridges all came out but the first one just off the beach when we did herd a roumor that the guid was trying to put one to get quads across up the valley not sure if he ever did tho

GoatGuy
07-19-2016, 07:31 PM
We did the last logging up there about 5 maybe 6 years ago bridges all came out but the first one just off the beach when we did herd a roumor that the guid was trying to put one to get quads across up the valley not sure if he ever did tho

Bridge at 13 kms was left in iirc.

Blair
06-22-2017, 11:35 PM
reviving this to see who else pulled this draw?
i have tried for that draw a couple of times. Three of us tried this year thinking we would go if we got at least one tag. NADA.

JasonH
06-23-2017, 04:05 PM
Since this thread popped up, I'll ask away...

I won the draw in 2-05, Zone G. Any tips?

chinook
06-25-2017, 11:39 PM
^^Stakawus and Deserted Rivers are your best bet. I havent been there in a few years but last time I was in Stakawus it was polluted with them. Its a good draw location. I hope you are succesful.

Salty Scotsman
06-23-2021, 05:23 PM
Hoping to revive this thread and get some more recent info on MU 212 Zone Q (Skwawka River). Was lucky enough to get the Elk draw in there this fall. Wondering if anyone has done this hunt in m ore recent years and would be willing to share some tips. I have heard rumours that access has gotten tricky since the start of covid but not sure on how true that is.

Is it worth the effort to get quads in there now a days? What is the access to that loading dock like?

Thanks in advance!

jamfarm
06-23-2021, 06:14 PM
I was up there in 2016, the dock was brand new that year. The first bridge was there and the other one at 13km was there but around the 10km mark you have to cross one of the rivers, if it’s raining it can blow out.

You need to have a quad. PM me if you want more info.

pg83
06-24-2021, 07:03 AM
I was in there in 2019 with a friend who had a tag. Another guy from our group pulled it last year as well, but I was unable to attend that hunt.

Fire me a PM if you'd like some more info but what has already been mentioned in this thread is pretty accurate.

MattW
06-26-2021, 06:18 PM
Was up there 2019. You need a quad to get way back where the elk are. Things are pretty grown up and overgrown. The bridges are good to go near the Inlet, further up there's a log bridge that's a little sketchy and could be washed out if it rained hard. The dock has a chain across it where one of the first nations groups is calling it their private property but in reality there's never been anyone there when I've been. The outfitter gets in there earlier than you will and gets a few bulls out but maybe not this year with no Americans coming in.

Coastfisher
06-28-2021, 02:01 PM
Hoping to revive this thread and get some more recent info on MU 212 Zone Q (Skwawka River). Was lucky enough to get the Elk draw in there this fall. Wondering if anyone has done this hunt in m ore recent years and would be willing to share some tips. I have heard rumours that access has gotten tricky since the start of covid but not sure on how true that is.

Is it worth the effort to get quads in there now a days? What is the access to that loading dock like?

Thanks in advance!

What’s the date of your draw Salty Scotsman? I was up there on june 27th. What Mattw said is spot on
PM me

recoil
06-30-2021, 07:22 PM
It’s been a while since I was up there but unless you and buddies are mountain hunters a quad is a great benefit. I would suggest hiking as much as possible though, the elk were definitely not standing around in the open waiting for a drive by to happen when I was there.

We had 3 tags when we were up and came back empty handed. They Elk are there though saw lots of sign, also don’t forget a bear tag and a shotgun, awesome grouse hunting.

Ron k
06-30-2021, 09:58 PM
PM me we were up there 2019 we ran into lots of G bears
We struck out with the elk but managed to shot. Nice Blacktail
and a black bear
The elk are way back in the valley so count on lots of hiking
also there lots of creeks to cross and if it’s raining they blow out pretty quick
In the 10 days we were there we ran into 8 G bears the closest being 10 yards away

djwinthehouse
07-25-2021, 04:18 PM
drew a tag this fall....no idea of the area...cow elk...hope i can put it together!...even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

djwinthehouse
09-05-2021, 01:08 PM
thinking about a jervis inlet elk hunt....any ideas

Rayne
09-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Hey which mu is your hunt for

djwinthehouse
09-09-2021, 08:08 PM
oct 15-nov15

djwinthehouse
09-09-2021, 08:17 PM
212 zone Q thought it was the 15th but actual date is oct 10 to nov 10

walker1985
03-23-2022, 09:41 AM
212 zone Q thought it was the 15th but actual date is oct 10 to nov 10

How did the hunt go? Curious how good/bad access was and what the G bears were like up there?

Bigman
08-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Got the November 1-15th 2-12 zone Q this year. Was wondering about hunter pressure and how many tags where given out this year. I know its a hard hunt with lots of hiking and locating sign and tracks. Thoughts of a base camp near the dock with spike camps. I can only get 12 days away what time frame would be best first 10-12 days or the last 10-12 days.

Ron k
08-05-2022, 08:49 PM
PM me I’ll be there with 4 guys and we have 2 tags at the beginning of November
I was up there 3 years ago and know the area well