PDA

View Full Version : 6-6 bull moose draw help please?

MichelD
07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure if he did it on purpose or if his pen slipped but anyway, my buddy got a shared bull moose draw in Region 6-6 when we thought he was applying for 6-8.

It is the September 25 - October 19 hunt.

I see that the area covers both sides of Babine Lake, can be accessed via Ft. St. James or the Highway 16 side from Fort Fraser and that it has quite an East-West spread.

Seeing as I am the only member of our group that is a member here, I've been assigned the research task of finding out where to go.

So may I ask if anyone here might be able to help us get started? I see quite a network of roads North of Sheraton going to Augier, Taltapin and Pinkut Lakes, as well as roads into the Hanney, Charlotte and Helene lake areas towards the eastern end of the zone.

North of Babine it looks like one road (Phantom Rd) in and out and not so much access to other lakes.

Can you please let us know if you are aware what parts of the zone are being heavily logged and hauled on right now?

Where should a guy even start looking for the elusive bull moose there?

Thank you for any advice you might offer. Private messages would be gratefully received too.

Machinist
07-12-2015, 04:14 PM
You are Lucky to Get a tag in 6-06 for that time of year, They are tough to get , I have hunted the area for over 40 years, I was fortunate to be able to Hunt the area before LEH , and there is a lot of Bulls in the area , we have taken 7 Bulls out of there in the last Three years but all on the Sept 10 to 24 season , usually don't bother applying for the second season because of the odd's , We only drew one tag this year ,I have found from past experience the Moose usually start to rut around Sept 15 through the first week of October in the Area depending on weather, Not going to tell you where our Honey hole is cause it took many years of searching and hard work to learn the area , but Basically we hunt the South East side of Babine , You can acces Via Hwy 16 and on the Augier Main , we don't hunt the Roads , its all bush work and Boat work , if you go onto Babine Lk, make sure you have a good boat , that Lake is very volitile , You can Launch at either the Hatchery or at the old ferry launch off the Grizzly Main , Thats a good draw to have , hunt hard and you will fill the tag in there ,We will be in there starting Sept 13 ,
Best of Luck.

MichelD
07-12-2015, 04:43 PM
That is a great introduction to the area. Thank you very much.