PDA

View Full Version : How are the bushnell elite binoculars

remington700
07-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I can get a set of of bushnell elite 10x42 binoculars for a good price any of you use these for Hunting ? how are they for low light mostly hunt mule deer i know its difficult to see there chocolate color antlers in low light . Was debating on getting these or the vortex diamondback binoculars

HeadingOutside
07-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I'd go with the vortex binos, they perform well and the warranty is great. I have a set.

TARCHER
07-12-2015, 10:56 AM
I had a pair of those exact binoculars and put them on par with my Ziess and Lieca. Sold them as I didn't need all 3 sets and they were the heaviest of the 3. Excellent glass out of Japan 20 yrs ago. Don't know if that has changed

REMINGTON JIM
07-12-2015, 11:46 AM
I had a pair of those exact binoculars and put them on par with my Ziess and Lieca. Sold them as I didn't need all 3 sets and they were the heaviest of the 3. Excellent glass out of Japan 20 yrs ago. Don't know if that has changed

Really :shock: on PAR with Ziess and Lieca ???? RJ

monasheemountainman
07-12-2015, 12:09 PM

yeah Im not so sure about that. glass all day long and I think your eyes will disagree

TARCHER
07-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Don't know if bushnell are different as I had bauch and lomb elite 10x42 vs my zeiss dialyt 7x42, vs leitz trinovid 8x32. The glass on the elite were very good in my opinion having had all 3 to use. My biggest issue was the weight.

Sofa King
07-12-2015, 01:57 PM
believe it or not, many, many people cannot see much difference between some.
there's very good glasses for a fraction of the cost of swaro, leica, and zeiss that almost stand toe to toe with them.
but like vodka, people see a super high pricetag and convince themselves that nothing else can touch those.

Sofa King
07-12-2015, 01:59 PM
yeah Im not so sure about that. glass all day long and I think your eyes will disagree

eye fatigue is a good point.
but how many people really glass "all day long"?
specific hunts present those situations, but for the average deer hunter, spending $1000+ is pretty silly.

monasheemountainman
07-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I agree, I have a pair of $350 binos so low end of the pack, but there is no comparison to swaro's, leicas, zeiss, or even leupold gold ring. and it doesn't take all day to get eye fatigue if you are glassing real hard, not just picking them up to see if its a 4 point or not

ian745
07-12-2015, 05:10 PM
i have the bushnell elite , for the price point and what ive been using them for on the island they work great, however with branching my hunting out to the mainland this year with my goat draw, i`m upgrading to the vortex, they are lighter and seem to have better glass, and just seem to come up to the face better for me, and the warrranty, , but its like a rifle scope really, everyone has an opinion and certain ones have just minor differences the average hunter, ie: me, cant tell the difference between a $350 dollar set and a $1500 dollar set, buy the best you can afford, and go from there :)

ElectricDyck
07-12-2015, 05:50 PM
My friend Rick has a pair a couple years old and in a side by side comparison they are a bit better than my Vortex Vipers as far as clarity goes..

gitnadoix
07-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Having used $300 glass right beside those using $2000 glass for over 30 years and often for goats, elk and sheep I am glad I used that extra $1700 on other hunting toys....in my opinion the difference is so infinitesimally small that for many I fear its a bit of the "Emperors new clothes syndrome" that being said if $1700 was chump change to me I would buy them too....but $1700 takes a while to squirrel away and buys a lot of other hunting equipment.

Waynewjw
07-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Have a pair of 10x42's I purchased approx 4 years ago. At the time I had the opportunity to compare to Vortex and Leopold at Abottsford Sportman Show. The guys let me take them outside for some distance viewing. A friend that was with me said hands down the Vortex would be the better glass. The Bushnells in my opinion and his were much clearer than the others, so that's what I bought.

Tron
07-12-2015, 07:55 PM
I have a bushnel elite e2 and would never buy another one. 5 years old, 3 times for warranty repairs. Broke each time during hunting season.

Ride Red
07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I've owned a pair of 10x42 Bausch and Lomb ($500.00 in 1993) for over 20 years and they do have good glass. My Ziess are better glass, but for the price point, you can't complain at all.

Tron
07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm going vortex next time

TARCHER
07-12-2015, 08:29 PM
All right, I knew my response would create a long rant, and I like to hear what people have to say. Since this am I did a google search and see that the B and L have gone thru a few changes. I happen to get the best model. That said, my favorite go to is my Zeiss mainly for the 42mm obj. The Leica I love as I can tuck them into my shirt pocket. After 30 yrs of hard use in the field neither binos have failed. But neither have any of my Leupold scopes.

Gateholio
07-12-2015, 08:58 PM
The B&L /Bushnell Elite binoculars are very good, better than their price tag, actually. Their top of the line model, not their mid grade models, that is.

Fisher-Dude
07-12-2015, 09:00 PM
eye fatigue is a good point.
but how many people really glass "all day long"?
specific hunts present those situations, but for the average deer hunter, spending $1000+ is pretty silly.

If you're not glassing all day long, you're hunting wrong.

Leica and Leitz are not the same thing. Leica has 35+ years more technology than old Leitz glass.

And no Bushnell on earth is anywhere close to Zeiss, Swaro, or Leica glass.

TARCHER
07-12-2015, 09:06 PM
An expert no doubt.

Leica and Leitz are not the same thing. Leica has 35+ years more technology than old Leitz glass.

Fisher-Dude
07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
An expert no doubt.

Certainly expert enough to know that the few pairs of shitty Bushnells I wasted money on before I got into the high-end glass might be good for pounding in a few nails around camp, and not much else.

Ride Red
07-13-2015, 05:55 AM
Certainly expert enough to know that the few pairs of shitty Bushnells I wasted money on before I got into the high-end glass might be good for pounding in a few nails around camp, and not much else.

Then you haven't looked through the Bausch and Lomb bino's. That's what happens when you buy your Bushnells at Walmart.

gitnadoix
07-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Dang-it you mean that for 46 years I have not hunted right, not even once ?......well me and my Bushnell hammer respectfully disagree, that's 45 years I've had fun and been rewarded with a full freezer for that whole 45 years..... and how my granddad did it and fed a family of 6 with out $2000 glass, $600 camo outfits, magic sent proof clothing, GPS, Sat phone, Google Earth, telescopic range finding slope correcting scopes, etc etc well I just don't know.......

375shooter
07-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Dang-it you mean that for 46 years I have not hunted right, not even once ?......well me and my Bushnell hammer respectfully disagree, that's 45 years I've had fun and been rewarded with a full freezer for that whole 45 years..... and how my granddad did it and fed a family of 6 with out $2000 glass, $600 camo outfits, magic sent proof clothing, GPS, Sat phone, Google Earth, telescopic range finding slope correcting scopes, etc etc well I just don't know.......

You make a valid point but it's also true that during your granddad's time, most species of game were more plentiful and somewhat less sophisticated than they are today.

Steve W
07-13-2015, 05:22 PM
I have a pair of 15 yer old pair of Bushnell Elites that are about the only pair of binos I've been able to get a clear focus on. I have looked through all the top end glass and agree that they are sharper, but with my eyes the Bushnells have been the best. They've been good to me. Buy what works for you.

.300WSMImpact!
07-13-2015, 09:46 PM
the bushnells I have had have been a one year product, but maybe it was bad luck, since changing to vortex I am now on year three, I never had an issues with glass or anything like that, they just broke fell apart 3 pairs 3 years in a row

BRvalley
07-14-2015, 08:23 AM
have a pair of 8x42 elite's, I kept them over my vortex talons and diamonbacks, they work for me

gitnadoix
07-14-2015, 01:51 PM
You make a valid point but it's also true that during your granddad's time, most species of game were more plentiful and somewhat less sophisticated than they are today.

I am not sure if I agree with that, I know from what I have seen there seems to be more elk and deer in certain parts of BC than what I remember from way back, but that's the problem with memory its flavored with sentiment and not supported by data so I could just be remembering it wrong. I still think the numbers do rise and fall more in relation to all the environmental factors such as winters bad or good, springs wet or dry etc and predations levels. Perhaps closer to the large population centers, but I have no experience in those zones. As far as more sophisticated by that I am sure you mean the game has become more savvy in avoiding humans......hmmm I suppose that is possible, I just have not seen much evidence of that either. As I still get Deer, Moose Elk and even Goats (when your above them) staring at and even walking towards me as I sit there trying to decide if I should shoot this one.....maybe I have just been lucky..... Kinda Hijacked this thread sorry

TravisC
07-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Ive used bushnell scopes and glasses forever as they were affordable and seem all round compareable. But after watching a 6pt elk walk at 150 yards in low evening light because i wasnt confident he was legal( he was and could see by eye when he finally flicked his head back turnning to head for cover, and having one of my moose hunts wrecked when my elite scope fogged up. I change to vortex bought the diamond backs binos's and the vortex viper scope. The best low light for the price my opinion they are by far the best "affordable" glass you can get. under 500$ I paid 270 for my vortex binos

dbergen69
07-15-2015, 07:02 PM
I find bushnell has a pretty good warranty the problem is that I have had to use it many times. My new thought is buy quality once not mediocre stuff every few years. If you are looking for mid range the minox is pretty good. I think better than vortex.