PDA

View Full Version : Northern moose hunt in Aug

mcmullmar
07-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Seeing as how I got no LEH, I'm thinking of heading north in Aug for a moose hunt. My concern is once I fill my tag, how do I hang it in 20 deg weather ( might be cool enough in the shade) and then how to keep it cool for the 12 hour+ trip home? Any suggestion?

Thank you

moosinaround
07-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Freezer and a generator for the ride home! As far as dealing with it in the heat after the kill, get it in as small of pieces as you can. Removing the bone will help to cool it down as well. Moosin

eric
07-12-2015, 08:23 AM
how far away from a cooler will you be...
That's the first thing we always think about when we go for the early season.
Some yrs the temps have climbed into the low 30s, have to get the meat into a cooler asap.
Bring your own freezer if you can..

Paulyman
07-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Bring freezer and generator. It's the only way if you're coming from way up north.

dakoda62
07-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Freezer and Genset the only way to do it. Deboned a 15 cuft freezer will hold 2 moose

07-12-2015, 09:05 AM
If you think you can wack a moose then head to Ft. Nelson, John or Dawson ....... And get a cutter or just some one to hang it ..... Think again ...... The recommendations of a freezer and generator are bang on. Years ago we were taken by one recommended cooler dude, dropped off 2 bulls, were told twenty bucks a day to hang, ....... What wasn't made clear was 20 a day per hook, x by 8 multiplied by several days ....... The guy was a crook, took us to the cleaners and isn't in business any more.

Ferenc
07-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Look for a meatcutter in the surrounding areas is one option, mind you they fill up fast .. Best to make some prior arrangements with one for plan b... Sound advice from the others ...skin it get it into smaller pieces and hanging in the shadey Spruce trees give will be good for over night... Long drive home ..drive at night and pin er been there done that... Now I just find a meat cutter Take it to him let him look after it... Pricey but when I'm ready to leave it frozen and nothing wasted.... Mind you I have never hunted August ... But Sept can get just as warm..right now I'm checking my buddies generator over for his early moose hunt .. He does the freezer thing fits nice in his enclosed trailer along with the quad .. This year may be cooler and suspect the leaves to fall sooner

Backwoods
07-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I've done the moose hunt in aug the last two years now and find the temps just too hot, not the best hunting conditions. It was sad how many guys we had run into that came up North for a moose hunt in summer and were not prepared to deal with the temps. The stories from local butchers & meat coolers of how many guys bring in moose that sat in the heat and ruined meat is brutal. Generator & freezer, maybe a stand alone AC unit In insulated trailer helps get your game to the butcher, and you as well as the butcher won't be disappointed.

srthomas75
07-12-2015, 09:27 AM
friends of mine have taken their moose into chetwynd and had a guy cut an wrap for them. 1 or 2 day turn around. then the ride home in a freezer with a generator running. I know they have gone this route the last few years compared to taking their on walkin cooler. it saves a bit of trailer room.
But it depends on where you plan o hunting.

250 sav
07-12-2015, 01:08 PM
i skin and 1/4 then off to the butcher,bring them home in large coolers frozen.

Wagonmaster
07-13-2015, 05:59 AM
So, you have a generator running in the back of your truck while you are driving??

srthomas75
07-13-2015, 06:48 AM
So, you have a generator running in the back of your truck while you are driving?? on a trailer that has all the gear

pnbrock
07-13-2015, 06:53 AM
i can honestly say i don't need meat bad enough to hunt during bug season!!plus dealing with the risk off spoiling makes it less enjoyable.

Wagonmaster
07-13-2015, 07:13 AM
on a trailer that has all the gear
Don't tow a trailer so in the bed of the truck it would have to be (tow an small RV). Seems like a strange thing to do, but I suppose there is no danger factor as long as it is the generator is wedged securely in place with good space around the exhaust outlet. I'll have to think about it though. If you operate the freezer while in camp before you leave and don't open the lid, the meat would probably stay fairly cool during a day of travel.

swampthing
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM
I have done a lot of august moose hunts and brought many moose back from pink mountain to Kamloops. On a lot of my hunts it has been very cool at night, sometimes below zero and down to at least 5 Celsius. Most of my moose are backpacked out so they have been deboned. I always camp on a creek so I make a platform just off the water, in the shade and put my meat on there. I cover it during the day. When I leave for home in the morning I wrap up all my meat together to help keep it cool. I am in PG now and can usually be home by midnite with my meat that's still reasonably cool. I keep a spare freezer at home that I pile it into when I get home. I cut it within a day or two. I have had blowflies lay eggs on my meat at times and while disgusting they do clean off. I always carry vinegar and a spray bottle now which really helps keep flies away. I am on my way up there this august again.