PDA

View Full Version : backcountry satellite communication

Lukeez88
07-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Im looking at getting some kind of 2 way messaging communication device. This coming hunting season I will have a pregnant wife back home, and we would both have better peace of mind having some communication IF this baby decides to do something crazy and pop out early. I like the sound of the delorme in reach explorer. It has a good flexible plan which is good cause i don't feel like subscribing to a device i am only going to use a few months out of the year.

pros and cons of delorme?
what is the battery life like?
any other devices worth considering?
whats everyones experiences with messaging devices/sat phones?

.330 Dakota
07-12-2015, 07:59 AM
I like a phone for emergencies, then you know the person got the message because you are talking to them,,I am buying a sat phone for this season as we are going remote,,,the new Globalstar is an excellent unit with better performance than the Iridium now I am told. They have a deal on with the phone and a years subscription for $750 which is a steal for any sat phone..

pinofire
07-12-2015, 08:46 AM
I may have a sat phone for sale it's an older iridium kyocera phone with 2 batteries and charger. $400 Just have to check with my hunting partner.

chinooker
07-12-2015, 09:11 AM
I have the inreach explorer and love it! It's better than a phone because if you get into real trouble all you have to do is flip the SOS button and help is on the way.
You don't have to worry about figuring out where you are. The in-reach sends a topo map with your co-ordinates.

Buck
07-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Inreach explorer works great and you have message confirmation.No problems with mine at all.

Lionhill
07-12-2015, 09:47 AM
There's going to be a new player in this market shortly. If you can wait, it will be worth it.

Can't give any more info other than it will be amazing at a good price.

.330 Dakota
07-12-2015, 09:51 AM
There's going to be a new player in this market shortly. If you can wait, it will be worth it.

Can't give any more info other than it will be amazing at a good price.

Now thats a teaser...LOL

Murder
07-12-2015, 10:17 AM
I decided to go with the original Delorme InReach as I don't like the idea of proprietary battery packs that the newer explorer model uses. The original runs on AA's. It has worked flawlessly and has all the same functionality as the explorer when Bluetooth paired to your cell phone. I used it all last season and the Mrs was always able to know where I was. Awesome product and can be put in stasis for 5.99/mth when not in use.

boxhitch
07-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Comms is only a small part of the day
It will drive you crazy waiting for a fast ride out.
If you don't mind seeing the baby as a two+ day old , stick to your schedule
If you have to be home for the birth , don't bother going hunting
Have seen guys torn apart trying to get in a rush from the back country and having things not play out as hoped do to weather , traffic , timing , breakdowns etc

albravo2
07-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I decided to go with the original Delorme InReach as I don't like the idea of proprietary battery packs that the newer explorer model uses. The original runs on AA's. It has worked flawlessly and has all the same functionality as the explorer when Bluetooth paired to your cell phone. I used it all last season and the Mrs was always able to know where I was. Awesome product and can be put in stasis for 5.99/mth when not in use.

This. But I will say you should invest in the super premium camera AA batteries. It goes through alkalines in less than a day if you leave it on all the time.

I put in the energizer lithiums and have some solar rechargeables that I use as back up.

I have had messages that don't go through and I have not always received messages that have been sent to me, but it is very helpful and I don't go into the woods without it.

allan
07-12-2015, 11:29 AM
You can stop by and try my Inreach out if you want.
Your wife was comparing notes with mine last week on the best ways to keep track of their men while we are out in the bush.
The Inreach has it's pros and cons, if you leave it on all the time it will Eat batteries. But works good to check in twice a day.
I got mine because of the amount of solo trips I like to take in bear country when I'm bow hunting. At least if the bear gets me they will know where to start the search. :)

Fred1
07-12-2015, 11:43 AM
I have an inreach explorer for work. The internal battery lasts forever. I turn it on send one or two messages a day, turn it off. I fully charged it 3 months ago and it still has 46%. You can pre-set your messages to make the texting part easier. It works great!

Buck
07-12-2015, 12:19 PM
I have an inreach explorer for work. The internal battery lasts forever. I turn it on send one or two messages a day, turn it off. I fully charged it 3 months ago and it still has 46%. You can pre-set your messages to make the texting part easier. It works great!

Yep battery life is good for months if you turn it off when not using.Just checked mine has been off for a month and it is still at 98%

digger dogger
07-12-2015, 12:57 PM
I have the 1st gen, inreach.
Zero complaints here.
i would, and have recommended it.

Avalanche123
07-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Comms is only a small part of the day
It will drive you crazy waiting for a fast ride out.
If you don't mind seeing the baby as a two+ day old , stick to your schedule
If you have to be home for the birth , don't bother going hunting
Have seen guys torn apart trying to get in a rush from the back country and having things not play out as hoped do to weather ,
traffic , timing , breakdowns etc

I agree with the above. If it's that close, I'd alter my plans and stick close to home regardless of comms.

Lukeez88
07-12-2015, 03:57 PM
It's not that close, it will be almost 2 months before due date. We both don't feel like I'm flirting at all. But there's still the unknown and slim chance It could come early. Im sticking to within a few hours of home. So not terribly far. Had to axe the northern bc hunt this season. I plan on checking in once or twice a day.

Coachman
07-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Inreach se is awesome. Mine works flawlessly from Hawaii to Nunavut and everything in between.

thepitchedlink
07-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Carefully how you pack your InReach....mine turned its self on in my pack, then must have got a few buttons held done for a while....when I pulled it out, it was locked up hard...couldn't even turn it off! I finally learned how to do a "reset" and that fixed it. But had I been in the bush, would have been useless. Now I carry it in a small Pelican case....takes up a bit more room, but I don't worry it's back there having an electronic brain freeze in the lid of my pack.

Wagonmaster
07-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Trying to decide between a phone and InReach. Have used a sat phone and had many occasions where the call was dropped or couldn't get through in the first place. To those who have used InReach - have you ever had a text not send or receive or lose satellite connection?

Jayburn
07-14-2015, 10:18 PM
I have an Inreach explorer. Great peice of mind and very functional and the battery last a really surprisingly long time. I also keep it off most of the time, though I'm not sure if someone was looking for you and it was off is it still trackable?

Stresd
07-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Carefully how you pack your InReach....mine turned its self on in my pack, then must have got a few buttons held done for a while....when I pulled it out, it was locked up hard...couldn't even turn it off! I finally learned how to do a "reset" and that fixed it. But had I been in the bush, would have been useless. Now I carry it in a small Pelican case....takes up a bit more room, but I don't worry it's back there having an electronic brain freeze in the lid of my pack.

I bought the oem protective case for my inreach. Comes with a large Carabiner that allows it to be mounted to the outside of my pack. Easily accessible and Hard to lose it this way.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/delorme/inreachse-floatation-case.html

dbergen69
07-15-2015, 06:48 AM
I use the inreach se. It is great. 2 way texting so if you set a reply protocol then you know the other party received the message. I have not had any issues with messages not going through. I carry a small Coleman solar charge to keep the battery topped up.