PDA

View Full Version : Ewes and lambs

argyle1
07-11-2015, 11:41 AM
What da heck??? I said I would accept a substitute hunt on sheep around Spences Bridge, not realizing they have ewe & lamb draws, that`s what I got. Do people actually hunt ewes and lambs - first I ever heard of it. Not for me.

monasheemountainman
07-11-2015, 12:11 PM
my buddy got one last year, it was a cute little bugger... ya not for me either not a true sheep hunt IMO

Sofa King
07-11-2015, 12:42 PM
what would really suck is putting the scope on your ewe/lamb and seeing a booner ram standing beside it.

monasheemountainman
07-11-2015, 12:49 PM
^ haha ya no shit eh

warnniklz
07-11-2015, 01:02 PM
shoot a lamb and get a full body mount... start the family collection... and rack of lamb with a nice mint/yoghurt sauce is always tasty

boxhitch
07-11-2015, 01:12 PM
What da heck??? I said I would accept a substitute hunt on sheep around Spences Bridge, not realizing they have ewe & lamb draws, that`s what I got. Do people actually hunt ewes and lambs - first I ever heard of it. Not for me.Not sure how you managed that . Last year that one was 30:1 and I bet this year it wasn't undersubscribed either. its all rigged.

Lastcar
07-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Not sure how you managed that . Last year that one was 30:1 and I bet this year it wasn't undersubscribed either. its all rigged.

Argyle1 seems like a good guy. Maybe that is how they decide who to rig it for. Now that we know the criteria we can all start angling towards getting the back scratching that is CLEARLY happening. Going to read How to Win Friends and Influence People so I am ready next May!

Or maybe it is actually fair and done according to the rules listed by the Ministry.

Without the hunt code and knowing how many applicants for said hunt code THIS year there is no way to tell if it was undersubscribed. Just have to take it at face value.

In regards to the decision to hunt a ewe or lamb:

Is there a difference in taste between a ram and ewe? If not and you are down with sheep meat, may as well fill the tag. Assume they would not be allowing harvest if not sustainable. I have no knowledge on if this is possible, but you could attempt to take on that past its prime and potentially not contributing to the population.

Is it possible to accurately age a ewe?

Does leaving the females in the population contribute to the health of the herd or is there value in removing some? I get the idea there is ewe who is in charge to some degree and I assume is older. Probably not one you'd want to take out.

As I typed this out...I see the dilemma for sure. Lack of a ram mount aspect aside it is an interesting position to find yourself depending on your reasons for sheep hunting.

rides bike to work
07-11-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't get how you got that a a substitute hunt but I and three others apply for that draw and didn't get it. Herds need to be managed to many ewes can spread disease we all just want the meat any way.

bc_buckshot
07-11-2015, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=warnniklz;1657944]shoot a lamb and get a full body mount... start the family collection... and rack of lamb with a nice mint/yoghurt sauce is always tasty[/QUOTE

Thats what im taking about Willis!

Lastcar
07-11-2015, 03:42 PM
What da heck??? I said I would accept a substitute hunt on sheep around Spences Bridge, not realizing they have ewe & lamb draws, that`s what I got. Do people actually hunt ewes and lambs - first I ever heard of it. Not for me.

In the results do they actually tell you it was a second choice? If not, any chance you put your hunt codes in backwards? Maybe you go this as a first choice?

07-11-2015, 03:45 PM

the NICE THING. About that is your odds are reduced for the next three years ....... On a Ram ......

The Entire BC LEH SYSTEM SUCK !

Fisher-Dude
07-11-2015, 06:56 PM
the NICE THING. About that is your odds are reduced for the next three years ....... On a Ram ......

The Entire BC LEH SYSTEM SUCK !

Nope. 3 years for Roosies and moose. Others (except deer) are for one year only.

bighornbob
07-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Guarentee you F"ed up and entered the wrong code. Phone them up and ask.. They can pull your card and see what you entered .
Bhb

07-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Nope. 3 years for Roosies and moose. Others (except deer) are for one year only.

I stand corrected Pat ....... YA gotta admit the system sucks though haha

325 wsm
07-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Maybe you could shoot a lamb and sell the cape. LOL
Wouldnt shoot either either.

jtred
07-11-2015, 07:21 PM
It's still a sheep hunt, you're still in the mountains looking for sheep right, to my way of thinking it could be a spectacular hunt. Backpack up into those hills, camp out up high and make it into a real alpine adventure. I don't know the area you're going into but I would think there would mule deer up there as well, go with a friend or two and have a great time. You might find it more challenging then you think. It's a management hunt that you're probably not likely to get ever again, a great chance to put some excellent meat into the freezer. I'd love to have that draw.

khoffnbud
07-11-2015, 08:13 PM
IMO, somebody has to get those tags and somebody will shoot them. Whats the big deal, shoot it, eat it, enjoy. By saying you won't shoot those but would a ram, you just admitted you're a trophy hunter only...

Mulehahn
07-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Honest question, why don't you want to shoot a ewe or lamb? Lots of people put in for, and are happy to receive, mule doe and cow/calf moose draws. Why is sheep any different? I would love to have a ewe mount. Obviously the hunt is sustainable or it would be pulled. What is the issue?

BTF
07-11-2015, 09:03 PM
It's still a sheep hunt, you're still in the mountains looking for sheep right, to my way of thinking it could be a spectacular hunt. Backpack up into those hills, camp out up high and make it into a real alpine adventure. I don't know the area you're going into but I would think there would mule deer up there as well, go with a friend or two and have a great time. You might find it more challenging then you think. It's a management hunt that you're probably not likely to get ever again, a great chance to put some excellent meat into the freezer. I'd love to have that draw.

Very well put, I would go too. BTW,your odds are reduced to draw sheep again but only by 50% for the next year.

DawsonCreedmoor
07-11-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm with Alex, there's no way you got that as a substitute. Either you entered the wrong code, or they did. Phone and find out.

Sofa King
07-11-2015, 10:21 PM
IMO, somebody has to get those tags and somebody will shoot them. Whats the big deal, shoot it, eat it, enjoy. By saying you won't shoot those but would a ram, you just admitted you're a trophy hunter only...

true words.

Wentrot
07-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Id be all over it if I got the draw.

pin_head
07-12-2015, 06:03 AM
I put in for a ewe/lamb draw, was hoping like hell to get it too. As a fairly novice "mountain hunter" I figured it would be a good opportunity to get my toes wet and get some sheep meat in the freezer.

Swallow your pride and take one down!

Cheers,
Brad

Blainer
07-12-2015, 06:31 AM
IMO, somebody has to get those tags and somebody will shoot them. Whats the big deal, shoot it, eat it, enjoy. By saying you won't shoot those but would a ram, you just admitted you're a trophy hunter only...You say that like it's a bad thing? Most sheep hunters incur huge costs to access area's in search of a mature ram. The meat is still eaten. Likewise with goats.
I imagine you feel the same about Grizzly, cat, predator hunting?
I personally only hunt the 4 point season, trophy?
Hunting is an individuals choice and if legal then we should not label other hunters as it does no justice to the hunting community.
I understand this hunters dilemma and respect his decision either way.

primmed99
07-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Good on you for not wanting to take a ewe or lamb, the sheep numbers there a not even close to what they use to be and we need to be mindful of those sheep up there…….spences bridge sheep aren't far off from having the gos closed and becoming strictly leh…..

argyle1
07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
true words.

You got that right. When it comes to sheep and goats I am a trophy hunter, and am happy to say so. The thing that " holier than thou" self described "meat hunters" don't seem to understand is that no ethical trophy hunter would leave any meat in the bush. Does it make a person less ethical because he will hunt for years and climb hundreds of mountains looking for the "right" trophy, instead of blasting the first critter he sees because he's tired and worn out and "earned it". Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against meat hunters, it just gets old listening to uninformed people blasting trophy hunters when they don't understand the dedication that goes into that pursuit.

argyle1
07-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Honest question, why don't you want to shoot a ewe or lamb? Lots of people put in for, and are happy to receive, mule doe and cow/calf moose draws. Why is sheep any different? I would love to have a ewe mount. Obviously the hunt is sustainable or it would be pulled. What is the issue?

absolutely a fair question, and without prejudice my answer is that it just isn't something that interests me. I am in no way critisizing anyone else here for what they wish to hunt as long as it is legal and fair chase. I just didn't realize that there even was a lamb/ewe hunt

bearvalley
07-12-2015, 08:25 AM
You got that right. When it comes to sheep and goats I am a trophy hunter, and am happy to say so. The thing that " holier than thou" self described "meat hunters" don't seem to understand is that no ethical trophy hunter would leave any meat in the bush. Does it make a person less ethical because he will hunt for years and climb hundreds of mountains looking for the "right" trophy, instead of blasting the first critter he sees because he's tired and worn out and "earned it". Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against meat hunters, it just gets old listening to uninformed people blasting trophy hunters when they don't understand the dedication that goes into that pursuit.
Well said.
The ones that are being labeled "Trophy hunters" and slighted by many are to be labeled properly...Hunters.
They are the guys that set their goals and in many cases go home with nothing because the animal they had in mind wasn't found. What's wrong with that?
The term "Trophy hunters" is an unfounded label used by the Anti hunting segment and the uninformed to cast a dark cloud over a class of hunters that are in reality just...Hunters.
There is no meat wastage as some would like to portray by the so called "Trophy hunters" and we will be better off the sooner we start sticking together and realize we're all hunters regardless of one guy eating a 12 year old ram, or the next guy a ewe.
If a ewe or lamb season is sustainable, and a hunter draws a tag...good for him. If some one doesn't want to shoot a ewe or lamb, that's their call.

khoffnbud
07-12-2015, 08:38 AM

The trophy is the hunt, the experience. But as long as you're mr high and mighty, enjoy your reduced odds for next year.

rides bike to work
07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
If your looking for a trophy why wouldn't you be hunting the open full curl season there. Why would you be applying for a 3/4 curl leh. If its horns your looking for ?

Fisher-Dude
07-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Ya what he said.

khoffnbud
07-12-2015, 10:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^x2

charlie_horse
07-12-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, one more ewe or baby ram is gonna stay on the mountain.

Fisher-Dude
07-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I don't see what the big deal is, one more ewe or baby ram is gonna stay on the mountain.

Most likely it will feed a predator. That's why there's a season.

You can't stockpile wildlife. That's a disaster waiting to happen from all our prior experience trying that "strategy."

primmed99
07-12-2015, 10:35 AM
If your looking for a trophy why wouldn't you be hunting the open full curl season there. Why would you be applying for a 3/4 curl leh. If its horns your looking for ?

Because there are some major trophies there broomed off like your fist that will never make it to a "legal" ram they will die in the bush…..I'd take the 3/4 draw there over gos any day

Fred1
07-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Ok... If my partner shoots an ewe or lamb, he will stay right there with it...

Rackmastr
07-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Hunting ewes isnt for everyone, and everyone makes their own choices as to what they think is 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to sheep hunting. Personally, I've enjoyed one ewe hunt in Alberta (where there are several zones with ewe harvest). I did some thinking and reading and what I read lead me to the decision that the ewe harvest made sense in a lot of cases (not all, I do agree there is a time and a place) It was a pretty cool late season hunt and I had a Trophy Bighorn tag in my pocket as well. Right before I shot this one I watched a ram that was a couple inches from being legal. Fun hunt for sure. And some damn amazing good meat!

I think this was 2008 or 2009. Haters still gonna hate, and thats cool too. :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_3460.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Rackmastr/media/IMG_3460.jpg.html)

Wentrot
07-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Hunting ewes isnt for everyone, and everyone makes their own choices as to what they think is 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to sheep hunting. Personally, I've enjoyed one ewe hunt in Alberta (where there are several zones with ewe harvest). I did some thinking and reading and what I read lead me to the decision that the ewe harvest made sense in a lot of cases (not all, I do agree there is a time and a place) It was a pretty cool late season hunt and I had a Trophy Bighorn tag in my pocket as well. Right before I shot this one I watched a ram that was a couple inches from being legal. Fun hunt for sure. And some damn amazing good meat!

I think this was 2008 or 2009. Haters still gonna hate, and thats cool too. :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_3460.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Rackmastr/media/IMG_3460.jpg.html)

Awesome!!!

last light
07-12-2015, 02:14 PM

I know the ministry used to reassign hunts to the "next in line" if you cannot participate in a given LEH. At least this is what they used to do for bison hunts if I remember correctly. Either way maybe you made a mistake filling out your card or the MOE made an error in giving you this draw. My suggestion would be to call them so that perhaps you could forfeit your ewe/lamb draw (if you really don't want it) so that someone who wishes to could still utilize this authorization.

monasheemountainman
07-12-2015, 03:02 PM
don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no hating on it from me, any legal hunting is all good in my books! I just don't think I would apply for it because to me a sheep hunt ( which Im still yet to do) is for a nice ram, trophy, shoulder mount, full backpack of meat and cape, curled horns, type thing. That's the way I want to hunt sheep. That being said, the harvest still has to go on, and Im sure there are lots of guys that would love to go get some mutten and that's all sweet. id like to make a really spicy curry with some.....mmmm curry

bighornbob
07-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Good on you for not wanting to take a ewe or lamb, the sheep numbers there a not even close to what they use to be and we need to be mindful of those sheep up there…….spences bridge sheep aren't far off from having the gos closed and becoming strictly leh…..

The LEH talk had nothing to do with sheep numbers but had everything to do with Illegal ram kills. Some years more then 50% of the harvest was illegal (i.e. 6 rams killed in the season and 3to4 of them would be illegal). Even then this had no effect on sheep numbers but it did not look good in Victoria when half the harvest is illegal. Switching to a LEH hunt (Any ram tag) and now you get your 6-7 rams killed a year and none are illegal because a piece of paper says your ram is legal. Problem solved in Victoria.

BHB

jtred
07-12-2015, 04:27 PM
If the idea of shooting a ewe or a lamb bothers you it's simple really, don't go on the hunt. In the end none of what we say makes any difference, it's your tag do with it as you will. Or contact a local co or biologist and find out the reasoning behind the ewe/lamb hunt and make a decision based on the reasoning behind the hunt. Are there too many ewes/lambs, has carrying capacity been exceeded to the point where they are actually degrading their habitat which may precede a massive population crash? Maybe by filling this tag you might be helping the population and it's future status and giving yourself a chance in the future to go on the ram hunt you desire. Maybe there is some sound science behind this hunt? Best of luck in this upcoming season.