PDA

View Full Version : Bino Harness

exv
07-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Hey, I just want to ask what bino harness systems you are using?. Picked up a set of swaro's
10x42 a few days ago, first reals binos.

The kuiu bino harness seems like the ticket but I haven't had the chance to see one yet.

EXV

gmachine19
07-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I use the s4 gear lockdown harness.
http://www.s4gear.com/pages/products/lockdown.php

300rum700
07-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Kuiu is the way to go

SR80
07-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Alaska guide creations. Jaret Owens is the owner and a great guy to deal with. The compact one is the one I'm using but there is a few different ones and sizes with different pocket configurations.

Had a Kuiu one, I went through two of them (falling apart after one week ) cheap china made junk in my opinion.

exv
07-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Alaska guide creations. Jaret Owens is the owner and a great guy to deal with. The compact one is the one I'm using but there is a few different ones and sizes with different pocket configurations.

Had a Kuiu one, I went through two of them (falling apart after one week ) cheap china made junk in my opinion.

Seems like a very robust, buy it once and be done with it system.

Thanks for all the input thou, would be nice if a guy could "touch and feel" these products before buying them. It's hard to get the quality I feel is needed for mountain hunting while protecting the equipment that we rely on and is worth big $$$

charlie_horse
07-11-2015, 01:13 PM
I have thekuiu one and it's comfortable but I've found that the flip lid just constantly falls open on me and I just can't keep it closed

358mag
07-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Kuiu is the way to go

X2 Kuiu is the way to go . Been using it for 2 years no problems with mine . Tried most on the market can give you a good deal on used S4 LockDown, .

Lastcar
07-11-2015, 01:23 PM
I have thekuiu one and it's comfortable but I've found that the flip lid just constantly falls open on me and I just can't keep it closed

I was having the same problem and then someone clued me in that the tension pulls at the bottom are to tighten it down. Just slide the adjuster up and it locks it in quite tight.

Lastcar
07-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I have also been using the KUIU for the last 2 years. I quite like it. Mine has had no issues with poor quality. I am no KUIU fan but tolerate them as they have a few products I've liked. The bino harness being one. Just got the merino bottoms with zip offs. Pretty fantastic this morning. Cool enough to need them and once the sun hit, off in 10 seconds.

Anyways...back on topic.

KUIU is a decent harness in my opinion.

That said, I'd back SR80's mention of the Alaska Guide Creation. I have a compact on the way after checking out SR80's. There is newer version with a front pocket and it sounds pretty dang skookum.

Jaret is a stand up guy. Not just a little bit, but through and through. One conversation with him and you'll know you are dealing with someone who cares about you and your needs.

He is a little gun shy on shipping to Canada, he recently had a package of three go missing along the way. But I am sure he'd do it, I just happen to have a box in Blaine.

The craziest part was he said he'll leave a note in the package with how much I owe him and to "get him off a cheque or something once I have it if I like it".

I'll post pics once I get my mitts on it.

Ride Red
07-11-2015, 02:00 PM
We're using the Leupold harnesses, not expensive and work well. Mine are now 10 years old and still going strong.

mikeboehm
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I've been using the leupold harness for my swaros for the last 2 years. They have been great

Lastcar
07-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Found some pics on the thread over on Rokslide courtesy of username colberjs:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?31139-AGC-chest-rig

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/colberjs/73B1DD3B-E735-403D-A495-ACB172153480.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/colberjs/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/785B1C8D-31B0-4E7B-BDE6-D83D28EB2993.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/colberjs/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/3B28CEAF-9617-4201-8219-51899510C5E2.jpg

REMINGTON JIM
07-11-2015, 04:14 PM
I have a couple of these type - they work well . RJ

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-binocular-harness-strap

charlie_horse
07-11-2015, 05:44 PM
I'll have to check that out because it was really starting to get to me.

exv
07-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Jaret is a stand up guy. Not just a little bit, but through and through. One conversation with him and you'll know you are dealing with someone who cares about you and your needs.

Not the first time I've heard this, so what the heck I'm gunna find out myself. Got a few questions, like if the lid is held in place by either a buckle or elastic band and hook (seen pics of both). Also if there is an optional attachment to secure binos to the pack itself. I heard rumor of this on a youtube video but have yet to see any pictures.

On Monday I'll try getting in contact with Jaret, will be sure to report back with any useful info.

Superdeuce
07-12-2015, 09:01 AM
FHF gear is another to consider. Paul is another great guy to deal with too and just makes them out of his home on top of his regular day job.
http://fhfgear.com/

swampthing
07-12-2015, 09:58 AM
I have had the badlands, Sitka, S4 and now the kuiu. I really like the S4. What I don't like about it is when hunting in dusty conditions it doesn't give enough coverage to keep your lense clean. Very quick and easy to use though. I picked up a kuiu unit next. It took 2 smart friends and a 6 pack to figure out to put it together. It offers the lense protection I was looking for but is a little harder to "deploy" . It seems like it is breaking in now and getting easier to use. They claim one hand use but it still takes two so far. I think that will change.

Lastcar
07-12-2015, 02:31 PM
I have had the badlands, Sitka, S4 and now the kuiu. I really like the S4. What I don't like about it is when hunting in dusty conditions it doesn't give enough coverage to keep your lense clean. Very quick and easy to use though. I picked up a kuiu unit next. It took 2 smart friends and a 6 pack to figure out to put it together. It offers the lense protection I was looking for but is a little harder to "deploy" . It seems like it is breaking in now and getting easier to use. They claim one hand use but it still takes two so far. I think that will change.

I took one look at the KUIU and realized I was going to need help setting it up. Thankfully there is a YouTube video. Long one...further confirming the complexity. But after about 3 tries I got it dialed in. Worth it once it is set up.

Still like it, just looking forward to a few more pockets and a bit more cover for the lenses. Which Alaska Guide Creations has.

Like you I can't stand the dust and rain drops. I find to use my KUIU one handed I need to keep it a bit looser so if don't make sure the top is covering there is room for stuff to make it to the lenses.

BiG Boar
07-12-2015, 02:47 PM
I've owned quite a few. The lockdown is a joke. Dust still gets in, so forget quad hunting. The Leopold harness works fine, but there was nothing to cover the lenses on mine, so dust and lost caps is still an issue. The best one is the badlands. The rest of their stuff may be just okay, but this is the one I would buy again. Only downside is if hunting in rain for hours it must be dried or expect fogging glass next day.

lorneparker1
07-12-2015, 02:49 PM

this. I don't feel good about $1000-$2000 optics swinging in the wind. I love my bino pouch. key piece of equipment for sure

SR80
07-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Sorry, I made a mistake, one of them lasted a week (the first one) the replacement lasted a season and the 3rd one I got had spots of glue all over it from the manufacturing process. I cleaned it up the best I could then sold it.

I also tried the FHF one, its a nice unit too. I just found it kind of noisey when pulling the binos out. The AGC pack totally encloses your binos, so no dust or water is getting inside on to your lenses.

BCbillies
07-13-2015, 04:30 PM
I've been using the Sitka since last year and while they are a little tight getting the binos (10x42 Swaros) in and out of they fully encase and keep the crap out which is key for me. Can also leave the top flap unzipped and the two magnets work pretty well. Like the fact they are compact and are holding up well so far.

charlie_horse
07-13-2015, 05:04 PM
be nice if they could add a pocket for my skoal

Rackmastr
07-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Alaska guide creations for me.

I like the Sitka Bino Bivy and the FHF as well. The day that FHF makes a fully enclosed case I'd be all over that. I do really like my AKG case though. Sitka bino bivy just didn't fit my Geovids so I went to the larger FHF. Just recently got the AKG and using it on the past few hunts I've been really happy with the protection it offers.

RiverRunner
07-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Have the S4. It's okay for a minimalist approach to keep bino's secure. But dust and moisture are an issue….
Just bought some new higher quality glass in celebration of a recent Elk draw… so I have a AGC compact on the way for me….

teleposer
07-17-2015, 10:18 PM
I recommend this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Horn-Hunter-Binocular-Case/1260831.uts

I've had this for 2 seasons and it has been great for me. keeps the dust out and keeps my bino's close. I don't have expensive bino's by any means, but this keeps them close and clean. Have never used the rangefinder magnetic holder but i keep a predator call in the little side pocket for bears and coyotes, and keep my tags in the back zipper pocket in a ziplock bag so they stay dry and close at hand.

mikeboehm
07-20-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Alaskan guide creations bino harness as well. Do you know if they come with seperate straps to hold your binos

boxhitch
07-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Sounds like a typical hunters 'gadget' , lots of disappointed buyers
My simple neoprene neck strap and plastic scope cover caps has worked fine for just a few years , never a let down.

SR80
07-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Sounds like a typical hunters 'gadget' , lots of disappointed buyers
My simple neoprene neck strap and plastic scope cover caps has worked fine for just a few years , never a let down.

I guess if you like the weight of your binos pulling on the back of your neck that system works. Not for me though.

boxhitch
07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
if you like the weightLike? no. Acceptable after trying alternative gadgets or seeing others constantly fussing? yes.
but everyone has their own stick points , I have just learned that simple works best for me on so many items.

RINO
07-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Badlands.... Comfortable.. Secure.. Keeps out the elements..

Jrax
07-21-2015, 09:39 PM
badlands for me too, but big boar was correct.... dry the case at night or foggy lenses.

mikeboehm
07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
i was watching videos on the badlands binos harness and the meagnets were loud when they closed them. are they that loud

300rum700
07-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Buddy lost a brand new set of Geovids in a creek crossing with the badlands bino case.. He stumbled the case came open and bye bye leicas. Not sure why they weren't attached to the case or even if they could be but that's enough for me to never own one.

mikeboehm
07-21-2015, 10:05 PM
ive been talking to jaret at alaska guide creations, and hes a very good guy, answers many questions etc.. I just ordered the compact in true timber pattern. they look amazing and well built

charlie_horse
07-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Now that I figured out my draw string issue I really like my kuiu

358mag
07-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Now that I figured out my draw string issue I really like my kuiu

Same here Kuiu is a great bino case nice ,light compact , quick and easy access and it doesn't feel like you wearing a small suit case on your chest .

bcsteve
07-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Buddy lost a brand new set of Geovids in a creek crossing with the badlands bino case.. He stumbled the case came open and bye bye leicas. Not sure why they weren't attached to the case or even if they could be but that's enough for me to never own one.

Of course the binos have to be hooked up in the Badland case, there's no way they would have fallen out if they would have been.

I had a regular harness before and they are light and handy for when walking and hiking but I like the extra security and protection of the Badland when riding the quad.

Stresd
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
i was watching videos on the badlands binos harness and the meagnets were loud when they closed them. are they that loud

If snapped closed quickly, click can be noisy. Very quiet if you roll the magnet seam closed. I like the protection they offer to my Bino's

sallovesbeer
07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
I have Badlands bino harness that has the magnetic case. Its great. Keeps them protected, easy to open and they can be attached to two cords inside the case so they cant fall out even if the case somehow popped open. Even comes with a glass wipe built in and lots of pockets for stuff like tags and bino pens. Just be careful because one model has a zipper and the other has the magnet, you want the magnetic one. Some people might say the magnets are too noisy but I have never had a problem. Besides if you need binos to see something its probably far enough away that it wouldn't hear it anyways. I saw my brother's and had to have one then when I got mine a few other guys I know liked it so much that they went out and bought them for themselves lol.

RiverRunner
07-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Have the S4. It's okay for a minimalist approach to keep bino's secure. But dust and moisture are an issue….
Just bought some new higher quality glass in celebration of a recent Elk draw… so I have a AGC compact on the way for me….

Got my AGC case the other day. The only drawback is a lack of tethers to have as a safety to secure your glass. He sends a piece of paracord and says tie them in….lol
Anyways after getting creative with some old lanyards that came with some Fenix flashlights, I'm happy with what I have now.
The whole setup is comfortable, relatively quiet, and well made. I expect it to function very well.
Here's some pics of the compact model….as the Alaska Guide Creations website is plain and simply….lame.

Those are Razor 10x42 for reference.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/Mobile%20Uploads/image_62.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_62.jpg.html)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/Mobile%20Uploads/image_63.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_63.jpg.html)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/Mobile%20Uploads/image_64.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_64.jpg.html)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/Mobile%20Uploads/image_65.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_65.jpg.html)

Lastcar
07-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Have you figured out what the heck will fit in the side pockets? Just got mine last night as well and dang those pockets are pretty tight.

SR80
07-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Have you figured out what the heck will fit in the side pockets? Just got mine last night as well and dang those pockets are pretty tight.

I use them to store a mittfull of 5 cent candies from 7-11

RiverRunner
07-30-2015, 06:57 AM
In my side pockets I have… 1 bic lighter, 2 wet fire cubes, whistle, and a fire/ferro rod… the other side has a Fenix E11 LED flashlight (runs on 1 AA bat), and 3 more spare AA batteries for said flashlight and the GPS.
Basically just some "what if" stuff which is redundant gear anyways that won't see much use…. except the batteries for the GPS

Lastcar
07-30-2015, 11:42 AM
I use them to store a mittfull of 5 cent candies from 7-11

You are an SOB for not sharing. I could have stirred them into my Mountain House.

Lastcar
07-30-2015, 11:46 AM
In my side pockets I have… 1 bic lighter, 2 wet fire cubes, whistle, and a fire/ferro rod… the other side has a Fenix E11 LED flashlight (runs on 1 AA bat), and 3 more spare AA batteries for said flashlight and the GPS.
Basically just some "what if" stuff which is redundant gear anyways that won't see much use…. except the batteries for the GPS

Ya...I am trying to figure it out. What "needs" to be in there that can't be in my "essentials" pull out in my pack.

If I dropped the pack and ended up a ways from it at dusk for some reason the headlamp makes sense.

Fire starter as well I suppose. I guess I was hoping they would hold a range finder and some reasonable size snacks. But I kinda knew they wouldn't from the pics I saw in advance.

I should just call Jaret and ask him, I am sure there was some thought put into them and their purpose. Other than adding weight.

Oh well, a light and some of SR80's 5 cent candies it is!

RiverRunner
07-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Ya...I am trying to figure it out. What "needs" to be in there that can't be in my "essentials" pull out in my pack.

If I dropped the pack and ended up a ways from it at dusk for some reason the headlamp makes sense.

Fire starter as well I suppose. I guess I was hoping they would hold a range finder and some reasonable size snacks. But I kinda knew they wouldn't from the pics I saw in advance.

I should just call Jaret and ask him, I am sure there was some thought put into them and their purpose. Other than adding weight.

Oh well, a light and some of SR80's 5 cent candies it is!

Could definitely store some power bars in the back pocket. Keep them warm and pliable when the temperature drops too….

I plan on getting a FHF gear range finder pouch to add to the system...

Useyourfeet
07-30-2015, 07:50 PM
The hill people gear front packs make good bino harness'. Depending on the size there is room for quite a bit of extra essential gear too.