PDA

View Full Version : Moose draw 5-15b

tyler13
07-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi Guys, my group was lucky enough to draw a group moose hunt for 5-15b from sep 10-30. I know a little bit about the area as I've spent some time fishing there with family from 150. I'm hoping to get some info on the condition of the boat docks at the old log camp on the east side of the north arm, as well as the roads up there. I've found a few posts from years ago saying they were deactivated, and wondering if anybody has been up there recently. Were kicking around the idea of either staying at one of the local lodges or setting up camp over there. I have 20' boat so getting over isn't a issue, however getting quads across will be. Anybody know of a barge service, or a landing craft on Quesnel lake? any info will be much appreciated. Thanks, Tyler

srupp
07-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Yes...answer to the other questions is yes too.
Congrads, good to see seomeone get that draw and know whats required.
Glad to help..
Send a pm with a ph number.
Steven

uncle b
07-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Same idea, October 1-14 but with a smaller boat and no clue . Any merciful advise for a rookie in over his head?

rageous
07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
This is far from a easy hunt. Takes a solid effort to make this leh happen. Exactly reason why odds are good. For the september draw go as late a possible. Oct draw go early October. Look at maps, launch boat, access the leh area, locate bull moose, shoot bull moose, come home. Looking forward to post trip reports. Best of luck.

ru rancher
07-18-2015, 08:13 PM
I got the draw for the first part of October I have a lot of experience in the area but yes they are very deactivated but no problem for quads quiet a pain to walk on though

srupp
07-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Hmmm good solid moose poulations,, als lots of grizzly that time of year..
Lol ran out of unlimited calling this month already...lots of hunters..talked with 3 groups with this draw today...lots of room lots of moose..limited access on dangerous lake with lots of grizzlies..
Anyone than needs some info please send a pm and I will post my ph number..
Leaving for Alberta Aug 5..
Srupp

Drillbit
07-19-2015, 12:31 AM
The corral is in rough shape. Probably be it last year this year.
No docks left at the end of the north arm.

6 big deactivations to get to the roaring, easy on atv, tricky on dirtbikes, but doable.
Roaring is all grown in.
Haven't been up the penfold yet this year, but it might be the best place to go, but hard to access now that the connector bridge over the roaring is out.

Wasko is still not too bad. One good clearing/meadow to hunt in there.

Overall, the area is getting pretty grown in as it hasn't been logged in awhile.

The barge took all the gear down the east arm last week, so Roy will have all those roads dug up now too.

Ry151
07-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Is penfold airstrip still open enough to land and camp out there? Seen moose right on the strip in the past

TimberPig
07-19-2015, 10:52 PM
The corral is in rough shape. Probably be it last year this year.
No docks left at the end of the north arm.

6 big deactivations to get to the roaring, easy on atv, tricky on dirtbikes, but doable.
Roaring is all grown in.
Haven't been up the penfold yet this year, but it might be the best place to go, but hard to access now that the connector bridge over the roaring is out.

Wasko is still not too bad. One good clearing/meadow to hunt in there.

Overall, the area is getting pretty grown in as it hasn't been logged in awhile.

The barge took all the gear down the east arm last week, so Roy will have all those roads dug up now too.

It won't be getting better any time soon, as very little of the North Arm is available for harvesting due to a No-Harvest Caribou GAR order, which is why the roads were deactivated.

Most of Wasko is open to further harvest, part of Service Creek and some small fringes here or there, along with Lynx, Blue Lead and Killdog are basically all that is available due to the Caribou No Harvest GAR order.

I believe there are some planned developments in Wasko that could be harvested in the next few years, but not certain of the exact plans.

Roy also retired, and is doing some smaller scale contracting now, no thanks to the thieves that stole his excavator a month and a half ago either (in a different area).

Jagermeister
07-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Same idea, October 1-14 but with a smaller boat and no clue . Any merciful advise for a rookie in over his head?The moment the wind starts to blow and you're bob-bobbing along, get your ass to the beach and wait it out. Or get a bigger boat.

tyler13
08-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys, and to Srupp for taking his time to call. Looks like we're heading up on Sep 20-27, and will be staying at the Elysia resort. Anybody else up there in that time frame? Will be using the boat to travel back and forth. Planning to dock at roaring and use quads to navigate the terrain. only problem seems to be getting quads over there, loading them on the boat we have isn't an option do to the style of boat. How are you guys getting them over there? Srupp referred me to Joe, who put me in touch with Jerry who has the tug and barge. However his set up is mainly for heavy hauling and at 225/hr. isn't very feasible for us. I'm in the need of transportation of 2 quads from Elysia to the landing on roaring. Anybody know somebody with a boat capable of this? or maybe even a small barge or dock I can tow over with the boat we have. Any info is appreciated, thanks guys. Tyler

Drillbit
08-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Tyler.

How big of a boat are you talking about?

With 14' aluminums we take the 30hp off the back and drive an atv over the back and high center them on the middle seat.

For the jet boat we have an aluminum rack made and load one sideways and park it on the ramp. Could make a rack out of 2x10's. Easy to load and unload with a good dock.

There's a guy named Eric on the lake that has a place up the north arm. He's got a huge boat that the front folds down and you could drive 2 atv's in. I've never met him and don't know his last name, but elysia should have his phone number.

tyler13
08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
its an 19' trophy. thought about loading one at a time from the side but the sides are pretty high and there is a rail all the way around. The deep v design and the outboard would also be a problem loading unless I could do it from the dock. it might still be possible but I was hoping someone up there would have a flat bottom or landing craft type boat or something I could tow. I talked to elysia yesterday and they were looking into a pontoon barge they though they have somewhere, still waiting to hear back. when I do ill ask about Eric, it sounds like he has exactly what im looking for. thanks for your help

Drillbit
08-25-2015, 09:30 AM
They don't have that barge anymore as far as I know. That was the one we used back in the day when Zorn had the resort and I'm pretty sure the owners after him got rid of it.

Ya, a Trophy would be tough to load, but there are good docks on both ends to load from.

chrispy1202
10-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Yes...answer to the other questions is yes too.
Congrads, good to see seomeone get that draw and know whats required.
Glad to help..
Send a pm with a ph number.
Steven
Thanks Steven,
We are all getting pretty excited to get out there and giver heck!
Chris