PDA

View Full Version : Ravenbeak Natureworks Bow Building Workshop

tailgate77
07-11-2015, 06:53 AM
I participated in the Ravenbeak Natureworks yew bow building workshop last month. I was AWESOME! Some hard work involved, and the rewards were high. If you have ever been interested in building your own wooded bow, this is the place to go! I wrote a review of my weekend there.

http://www.top-predator.com/blog/ravenbeak-natureworks-bow-workshop-the-review

greybark
07-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Hey tailgate 77 , well done on a great review and even greater bow ....
Cheers

tailgate77
07-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks Grey Bark:)

Blayne

powell
07-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the post I am very interested in doing this. Was the finished product a usable hunting bow.

tailgate77
07-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Definitely usable for hunting. It hits as hard as my 55lb recurve and just as accurate. It is interesting(in general, not you specifically powell) how so many people dis-credit the wooden bow as a hunting tool, when that was used for 10,000+ years. Fiberglass bows have only been around since WW2. The marketing in archery is incredible. Selling to the hunter fps numbers and crazy, complicated compound bow that can cost thousands, when you can build a bow for almost free, aside from tools. A spare string and some arrows and you are in business. I can't imagine being in hunting camp and having a compound string break. Not something that the average person can deal with, but one can make a new flemish twist string in about 15 minutes.

The bow will need a little more time to tune and be more critical of spine than a recurve, since it is not center shot, but will certainly zip a sharp broad head through any game out there. If you get a chance for the workshop, I would encourage you to do so!

greybark
07-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Tailgate77 , Interesting I have heard of no one disparaging wood or selfbows .
PM sent
Cheers

The Hermit
07-13-2015, 09:33 AM
I took Jamie's course last year and agree that it is very worthwhile. Good people, patient instruction, and everyone went home with a fine bow that I'm sure will give us pleasure and a sense of pride for years to come.