PDA

View Full Version : Sparwood Hunt

Sharpish
07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Well given my complete bust on LEH this year, I am thinking of doing a solo drive out to the EK and camp up near Grave Lake north of Sparwood. perhaps take my canoe and set up a base camp on the east shore of Grave and backpack up to the top of Erickson ridge. I'm thinking there might be a shot at a bighorn, elk, or goat. Or possible even see a whitetail or moose.

Any advice? I'm leaving second week of october and have the whole month off.... 23 days in total. My other option is a moose camp in north eastern BC, but there will be about 10 guys there and it's one of those "shoot a moose on day 2 and drink vodka for a week" hunts which can be enjoyable but I'm looking to get up high and challenge myself a bit more.

Any advise? Will I be facing down winter storms? No game up high there? What do you think?

budismyhorse
07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
go moose hunting up north.........

not trying to keep you out of there but your plan is whacked for the amount of pressure in that area. Every animal can been seen from a road.

bighornbob
07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Well given my complete bust on LEH this year, I am thinking of doing a solo drive out to the EK and camp up near Grave Lake north of Sparwood. perhaps take my canoe and set up a base camp on the east shore of Grave and backpack up to the top of Erickson ridge. I'm thinking there might be a shot at a bighorn, elk, or goat. Or possible even see a whitetail or moose.

Any advice? I'm leaving second week of october and have the whole month off.... 23 days in total. My other option is a moose camp in north eastern BC, but there will be about 10 guys there and it's one of those "shoot a moose on day 2 and drink vodka for a week" hunts which can be enjoyable but I'm looking to get up high and challenge myself a bit more.

Any advise? Will I be facing down winter storms? No game up high there? What do you think?

Goat is LEH hunting only.

BHB

killswithkimber
07-10-2015, 03:09 PM
The east side of that lake is pretty rugged and there is an public campground on the west side ! also lots of the Ericson range is mine property so be aware of all the property lines

300H&H
07-10-2015, 05:59 PM
The east side of that lake is pretty rugged and there is an public campground on the west side ! also lots of the Ericson range is mine property so be aware of all the property lines

When Dd & I found the elk, all of them were on the mine property. It seems that they knew we could not shoot them.
Our ONLY chance was a 6 point bull that ran in front of the truck. I could not slam on the breaks fast enough. Then he was gone !!!

j270wsm
07-10-2015, 10:06 PM
East side of grave lake is pretty much straight up and down. Easier way to the top would be drive the road up around the back side, goes almost to the top. I could tell you way better places to have a chance at sheep and elk.

ElliotMoose
07-13-2015, 03:28 PM
I would have to agree with the above posts. We have been in there the last couple years and while animals do come out of there, the amount of traffic is crazy. Roads take you into pretty well every basin and they all have guys blasting on their bugles. Last year I saw a heard of 20+ elk but wouldn't you know it, they were all on the mine property. Lots of goats up there though if you get a draw! Saw one absolute thumper of a billy that looked like a white horse