PDA

View Full Version : Hunting 7-41, best way to get there?

digginsweatinswearin
07-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Got a bull draw for 7-41, any pointers on accessing the area?

dakoda62
07-10-2015, 10:09 AM
We hunted up there years ago I still believe the easiest way is thru Mackenzie up the west side of the lake. Be cautious though there have been incidents with Ware indian band, not very friendly.

decker9
07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Hunted in there a few times. Never had any native issues, actually, any we talked to were very friendly and helpful, although I have herd horror story's. We contacted the tsay keh RCMP and band office before we went also (take them some jerky or smoked salmon, it goes a long ways when trying to get on they'r good side) We went up from ft st James, hell of a long drive.

Not trying to detour you at all, but in all the time we spent up there, we hardly seen a moose track, mind you we wernt looking for moose.

Cheers and good luck.

BRvalley
07-10-2015, 10:41 AM
decker has good advice, I spoke with the band office and filled out their online hunter form...never share my jerky though lol

stopped in tsay keh for gas, was 1.20 in May,

I went slow and took 7 hours up the west side from Mackenzie, road was fair shape but definitely be bringing 2 full size spares....locals drove into my campsite and were friendly

I saw everything except what I was looking for...handful of moose, couple caribou, black bears and shit ton of grouse everywhere

canadiancon
07-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Have made a few trips up there with draws in 7:41. It's a long drive, road can be rough. It's good shape up to km 200, not sure how it is past there, but for how far the drive is and the limited number of moose we saw I wouldn't waste my time up there.

digginsweatinswearin
07-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks guy's, looks like I have some thinking to do.

dodge456
07-10-2015, 02:34 PM
I drew the same tag on my second choice and am having the same debate with myself. Its a long way to go on a gravel road that's for sure and that's after the 7 hour trip to PG. However it looks like an interesting area on Google Earth and I'm sure it would be a beautiful trip...waiting to hear back from a couple sources up that way as to road condition and all that and if they think it's worth the effort.

digginsweatinswearin
07-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Yes, kinda what I was thinking

moosinaround
07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Lots of country to hunt up there. Lots of swamps, lots of rivers, lots of lakes, lots of areas you can walk into and hunt. If you have a draw up that way, you should be able to get a moose, especially if it is a rut hunt. If you pound the FSR's and drive around in your pick up like everyone else, you will not see moose. They do not need to even see a road up there. I did silviculture surveys up there for 3 seasons, and there are moose, and elk, and caribou, and black bears, and big effin grizz!!! You put in the effort, and you will find a moose! Moosin

scoutlt1
07-10-2015, 06:03 PM
It's beautiful country with lots of game around, that you will find if you put your time in.

You applied for, and got the tag. Use it! :)

canadiancon
07-10-2015, 11:13 PM
The thing with the road is it changes daily, I have made 6 trips up to the 200 km mark from mackenZie this year. Some days it's as nice as a highway, others it's pure hell, if It rains, it takes about half a day and the trucks have it pounded out. More than one spare tire is needed for that trek.

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-12-2015, 02:33 PM
7-41 is a tough zone to hunt....best chance at a bull is on the finaly River with a jet boat.....it is thick as hell and I've never seen so many wolves in one area....better chance at a wolf, Griz or elk in that zone...that being said there are moose it's just really ugly thick bush. And the locals can inspire some classic campfire tails in future hunts. PM if you want info I worked up there for 2 years and am very intimate with that area and logistics. In 2 years of having buddy's hunt up there not one of them got a moose in 7-41. I have shot one in there but it was small and standing in the ditch, but have seen some good ones come from there that have been shot by locals on the road or on the river. IMO that zone is purely about luck, you will see more Griz come to moose calls then moose. Good luck.

moosinaround
07-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Got a bull draw for 7-41, any pointers on accessing the area?
Some of the advice is negative, crazy locals, rough access, the locals can inspire some classic campfire tails in future hunts, seems negative. Its an adventure, if your up for it, giver! Prepare, don't take unnecessary risks, and act like you want to be treated, you shouldn't have any problems. Kill some wolves, take an elk tag, take a fishing rod, and take your adventurous spirit, and go! If you could give the tag back, I'd take it, I struck out on my draw for moose, and would hunt this MU in a heartbeat!!! Moosin

Beartracker
07-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Yes well my 15 year old son received a Gizzly draw up there for the fall...Just trying to get some ins and outs on the area before I make a decision to go up there...I live in Williams lake so Iam only about 3 hrs out of PG but I believe it's still a long trip no matter what.

wos
07-12-2015, 06:38 PM
I may be wrong but l don't think ther are any roads into 7-41
From the west side of Williston. Havent been there for about
17 yrs so things could have cchanged

moosinaround
07-12-2015, 09:34 PM
I may be wrong but l don't think ther are any roads into 7-41
From the west side of Williston. Havent been there for about
17 yrs so things could have cchanged
East side? The finlay runs up the west side of Williston Lake. You take it till 172km, then stay right cross the meselinka river around 185km?, then the camp at around 200km. Changes to Factor Ross for 100 or so km to Ingenika, then the thompson trail to Tsey Key Dene? Then cross the finlay river at the canyon and your in 7-41. Akie, Pesika, Paul river, All in 7-41. Good hunting, lots of country to cover, google it, you will be amazed. Quad restrictions though???? Not sure, check it out. Moosin

wos
07-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Last time I was ther you could only get as far as lngenika arm.
not even 7-40 never mind 7-41. Things have changed I guess.

silvertip0260
07-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Hunted 37 and 41 up there many times . More moose in 37 but still a good number in 41. Also some good elk hunting up there. A word of advice get of the road and set your camp up private. We have had problems with natives there before.

silvertip0260
07-13-2015, 08:30 AM
roughly 400 km to the top end of the lake of gravel road from Mackenzie. Make sure u carry spare everything for your trailer, includes a set of leaf springs. You will probably see more moose heading down to where 37 and 41 border each other than elsewhere. We have never been up in that area and got skunked , however with the lack of logging up there now it is getting awfully thick and you will be doing a lot of calling

07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Used to hunt up that way, mostly 7-38 and 39 ,,,,,, won't be going back due to Native issues alone. To bad .... There's some nice critters up that way Use trail cams around your camp, use a recording device, cel phone recording or filming any confrontation that may occur. Cops and the courts won't deal with the issues so we just stay away. Road is long, can be good and can be real bad, take many spares.

375shooter
07-13-2015, 10:26 AM
What kinds of problems have you guys had with the natives of there? My hunting partner and I are planning to use the Ware airport as a jump off point for a sheep hunt this year. We're wondering if parking a vehicle at the airport for a couple of weeks will be a good idea.

turbolar
07-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Hunted in 7-41 lots. Leaving anything unatended within 100 miles of ware is a bad idea

604ksmith
07-13-2015, 08:03 PM
What kinds of problems have you guys had with the natives of there? My hunting partner and I are planning to use the Ware airport as a jump off point for a sheep hunt this year. We're wondering if parking a vehicle at the airport for a couple of weeks will be a good idea.

If either you or your have a "beater" in good working condition, take that and don't bother worrying. It may blend in - although few locals have vehicles.

I've only spent 2 days in the general area, and never had an issue, but I can understand the warnings. If anything on your truck is removable, it has a real risk of being taken during the night. However, going to the Chief and/or RCMP in the area can go a long way.

Also, maybe try and find someone at the airport that you could pay a reasonable amount of money to watch your truck for you with payment only coming if your truck is untouched?

turbolar
07-15-2015, 07:46 PM
When we hunted there we had to leave one person in camp every day. The locals still came to our camp and tryed to steal anything they could. If you have alcohol in camp they will steal that first and then come back for the rest on another night. They are not all bad, but the ones that are will do what ever to get what they want. The local RCMP will do nothing to help you, and that is from my personal experences of hunting there.

ryanb
07-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Heard the same horror stories before I ventured up that way. Went anyways. Didn't have any trouble... Not to say you won't but don't let these stories scare you. Be prepared, be cautious, have agood time!

Lots of game up that way. Get off the beaten track and you shouldn't have much trouble filling your tag.

sportco22
07-26-2015, 04:02 PM
I also have a second choice draw for a bull and I am debating the trip. The second choice odds were 0.2 to 1 suggesting either 1) little game at that time of year or 2) little interest due to difficult access or 3) other issues I am not aware of.

I like the idea of #2 however my hunting partners are true blue road hunters, not interested in walking/hiking.

I am curious if the river could be drifted?

Regards,
sportco22:confused:

hunteryad
07-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Are the native/stealing problems more in 7-41, or also bad in 7-38? Same with the roads, are they really poor to 7-38 from Mackenzie? or worse as you go north
thx