PDA

View Full Version : Flathead 4-01

palmer
07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Its been a couple of years since I was in the Flathead....Just making sure Moose numbers are still good....I got my spots but just wanted to make sure no drastic changes....Will hopefully get time to scout later in summer..If the bush stays open
Palmer

deeks1989
07-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Moose numbers are honestly way down. My partner and his dad got their bull last year in there. My other partner never even seen one bull and he's an honest go get er'. Sure there's going to be an opportunity if you put your time in. Hope you do well.

palmer
07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks Deeks....were you in zone A or B

I have a goat draw for b as well and
I know there are lots of goats...

GoatGuy
07-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Couple buddies did well in there last year.

palmer
07-09-2015, 09:22 PM
That's what I like to hear....I have always seen plenty of moose...just hope its still the same....

deeks1989
07-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Zone b. Lots of goats for sure! Sounds like a great trip!
i'm headed the opposite way for my Roosevelt draw.

GoatGuy
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Take a sheep tag if you're chasing goats in that part of the world.

Seems to be a few more rams kicking around than before.

palmer
07-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Not going in till late Oct....so sheep will be closed...but do know some great Mulie spots in there.

palmer
07-19-2015, 04:59 PM
I guess the flathead is not as popular as it used to be

Mikey Rafiki
07-19-2015, 05:11 PM
I guess the flathead is not as popular as it used to be

Popular with wolves.

palmer
07-19-2015, 05:17 PM
last time there we sent a couple to the happy hunting grounds...let someone else worry about them

ElliotMoose
07-20-2015, 07:08 AM
We always seem to see a couple moose kicking around including one real dandy bull last year. Goats are plentiful, got mine in there 3 years ago. Sweet tag to have if you're willing to put in the work. Elk numbers seem to be down from a few years ago as we didn't see one bull all last season and we spent a good chunk of time in there. Wolves are in there thick and we've also been seeing more and more G bears every year. I actually almost had to put one down after we caught him stalking up on us during our hike out of the back country with the goat on my back. Beautiful country to hunt. Tough, but rewarding! We'll be in there first couple weeks of September

palmer
07-26-2015, 09:31 PM
We always seem to see a couple moose kicking around including one real dandy bull last year. Goats are plentiful, got mine in there 3 years ago. Sweet tag to have if you're willing to put in the work. Elk numbers seem to be down from a few years ago as we didn't see one bull all last season and we spent a good chunk of time in there. Wolves are in there thick and we've also been seeing more and more G bears every year. I actually almost had to put one down after we caught him stalking up on us during our hike out of the back country with the goat on my back. Beautiful country to hunt. Tough, but rewarding! We'll be in there first couple weeks of September

Keep an eye out for a big moose for me.....

palmer
09-26-2015, 02:15 PM
any updates on Moose sightings in the flathead ?...hunting in general down there

transplantednewf
09-27-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm curious as well. Supposed to be heading there mid Oct with friends. First time there. I am a little concerned about the numbers/concentration of G Bears. Thoughts?

ACE
09-27-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm curious as well. Supposed to be heading there mid Oct with friends. First time there. I am a little concerned about the numbers/concentration of G Bears. Thoughts?

Have hunted there for many years ......
Yes, there is a healthy population of Ursus horribilis ...... you do have to be aware. Years ago, Banff/Jasper were dumping their problem G-bears down there, rather than destroy them. The state of Montana liked the idea also, as they were trying to get a gene pool splice/population increase for the dwindling existing population around Glacier National Park. There was an American G-bear biologist that would come by our camps for a coffee and b.s. ....... interesting info from him.
Don't let the G-bear presence bother you, but be very bear aware, especially around downed game.
Have fun, be safe ....

palmer
09-27-2015, 08:09 AM

We'll be camped on the road to the border at Howell creek campsite...drop by for a chat if you have time...

transplantednewf
09-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Thanks for the invite. Will do if we're in that area somewhere. Good luck there

palmer
09-27-2015, 08:52 AM
we'll be there from Oct 11 to 22

ElliotMoose
09-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Been up there the last couple weekends. Had bulls bugling but they just seemed to stay put in the thick Timber. Temps have been pretty high and crazy winds. We will be up there next weekend and hopefully things cool down and the animals start moving. Pack a whitetail tag. Population has exploded up there. Haven't seen a moose up there yet this year but seen sign so they're around!

palmer
09-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Nice to hear about the Elk...hopefully Moose start moving