PDA

View Full Version : Youth Licence Question

ROY-alty33
07-08-2015, 11:22 PM
I bought a youth licence for my boy, so does that entitle him to hunt a youth season?
Getting mixed reviews from my hunting buddies. Some say yes that whats the season is for. However the majority opinion is that since the youth licence does not have a species tag, it is actually my tag, and since my tag does not legally entitle me to an animal during that short youth season he is not eligable for that hunt. (Make sense?)
I know I should get off my duff and get his core done.......and end the debate!

j270wsm
07-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Anyone between 10-17 can hunt the youth season. Remember, any animal he shoots has to be tagged by you and comes out of your provincial bag limit. My son(12yrs old ) passed his core last year, got his own license and is still allowed to hunt the youth seasons, But has to cut his own tags.

They expanded the youth license from 14-17( i think that was the age change ) so people are able to take their kids out and try hunting and not have to do the core course and decide they don't like hunting.

sarg
07-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Yes you child can hunt youth season on a Junior license, but if he shoots anything it is your tag that gets punched and comes out of your provincial bag limit, I did that my son's first year hunting, now my 3 kids have there own hunter # and hunt off there own tags and there are 14 and 11 and 11. My son took the core at age 11 and my two girls took it at 10. Good luck out there :)

ROY-alty33
07-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys...I see CORE online is available now, might give that a try.

aggiehunter
07-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Dont' tell the Co you learnt the regs on HBC....

ROY-alty33
07-09-2015, 10:59 PM
The regs do not really clarify this issue, thought it wouldnt hurt to get some other opinions

Effective April 1, 2013, an expanded age range for the Youth Hunting Licence will be in effect, making it available for youth ages 10 to 17 years, inclusive. Previously, the age range of the youth (‘junior’) hunting licence was 10 to 13 years. It is anticipated the new licence will be available at Service BC locations and local vendors no later than March 20, 2013.

Expanding the age range of the youth hunting licence aims to ensure that hunting remains affordable for youth and their families. It also makes it easier for youth ages 14 to 17 (inclusive) to give hunting a try and to have more mentorship opportunities as they are no longer required to first complete the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) course. A youth who is a B.C. resident and has completed CORE may purchase an adult hunting licence; however, a Hunter Number Card (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/hunter_numbers.html) is first required. As previously required, a parent or guardian must purchase, as well as hold, the youth hunting licence on behalf of the youth. To purchase the youth hunting licence, the parent or the guardian must sign an “Acknowledgement of Responsibility” form, confirming that the parent or guardian will be fully responsible for the actions of his or her child or ward while the child or ward is hunting or carrying a firearm. Youth (ages 10 to 17, inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by, and under the close personal supervision of, an adult 18 years or age or older, who holds a hunting licence (unless exempted) and meets the qualifications as a supervising hunter.

shottyshooter
07-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Found it...

Thank you for your email dated May 3, 2013, regarding juniorhunting licenses. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

All hunters under the age of 18 are permitted to hunt in the junior huntingseasons, regardless of what class of licence they possess. The Fish, Wildlife,and Habitat Management Branch is committed to recruiting young hunters into thesport and encourage youth hunters to participate in youth only opportunities.All hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a licensed hunter 18years of age or older. Junior licences do not come with species licenses. If ayouth hunter harvests an animal under the authority of a junior hunting licencethe harvest comes off the bag limit of the accompanying adult hunter. If thisharvest occurs during the youth only season the accompanying adult cancels theappropriate species licence before handling the harvested animal. Myrecommendation is that the youth and adult remain in each other’s companyduring the duration of the hunting trip, if a Conservation Officer stops youand you have, for example, an antlerless deer in your possession during aperiod when only youth are permitted to harvest antlerless deer and there is noyouth present you can expect to answer some questions. If the youth is with youand in possession of a junior licence, and you are in possession of your basiclicence and a cancelled species licence the questions should be much easier andstraight forward.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions or require clarification.

Regards,

StephenMacIver|Policy& Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat ManagementBranch|Ministryof Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email:stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca (stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca)