PDA

View Full Version : Group Hunt Question

gmachine19
07-08-2015, 07:58 PM
hey guys, we have a group hunt coming up on November. What happens if one of us cannot go? Can we still hunt minus 1 guy?

Gateholio
07-08-2015, 08:08 PM
It's all explained in the LEH synopsis.

But you don't need everyone there to hunt.

ROY-alty33
07-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Group or Shared...either way yes you can still go.....
Just a sh!++y deal if its group as thats an authourization issued that someone else could have got.
Send him on a guilt trip.

Coachman
07-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Happened to us two years ago. You're fine to go without the dropout.

srthomas75
07-09-2015, 09:55 PM
You can go by yourself if you want to. Not as much fun though. But you can only take your legal quota.

BearStump
07-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Here's a thought. And I know guys do it all the time.
Put in with 4 hunter numbers. 2 of which belong to wives that dont even hunt. Get the draw. Now the group is entitled to 2 moose. But only the 2 guys go on the hunt and wives stay at home. They take the two moose and eat like kings for the year.

Ethical --No
Legal????

07-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Put in with 4 hunter numbers. 2 of which belong to wives that dont even hunt. Get the draw. Now the group is entitled to 2 moose. But only the 2 guys go on the hunt and wives stay at home. They take the two moose and eat like kings for the year.

Ethical --No
Legal????

If the ladies have their hunter numbers.......what is unethical? Similar to the OP........people put in for draws all the time that life and circumstances prevent them from being filled. Three or four people put in for group draws and some of the members choose not to go on the hunt.. where is the problemo?

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Ethical --No
Legal????

How is that unethical? Are the wives not entitled to eat moose meat for the year, even if they don't want to go on a moose hunt? Extending that, what about families where both spouses hunt? I suppose you are opposed to having BOTH the husband and wife killing an elk each?

hare_assassin
07-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Ethical --No
Legal????

It is a 100% legal method to increase the odds of winning a draw, which provides a chance at harvesting an animal, which the entire family will benefit from.

God damned right I think it is "ethical".

BearStump
07-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. lot of variables there. Lots of wives do hunt, and chit happens when leh's dont come out till 8 weeks before a hunt and people that had full intentions on going can no longer go.
But what I refer to is when a guy gets his wife to get her hunter number for the sole purpose of having a hunter number to increase the chance of getting a draw. When wifey has never even held a gun let alone gone hunting.
To me that's kind of along the same lines as the guy who goes down to the fraser with his 6 kids all under the age of 3 and kills 2 sockeye for each kid and goes home with14 fish.

hare_assassin
07-10-2015, 08:58 AM
To me that's kind of along the same lines as the guy who goes down to the fraser with his 6 kids all under the age of 3 and kills 2 sockeye for each kid and goes home with14 fish.

But it isn't along the same lines, because in the fishing case, 14 fish get harvested instead of 2. (But even then, 6 kids can eat a lot of fish.)

In the LEH shared moose situation, all that happens is the guys with wives have a bit better odds of winning a draw, for a chance at a moose or 2, for their families. Same number of animals will be harvested, and the guy has no unfair advantage over any other hunters out there with a tag.

EDIT: In fact, the two guys with (non-hunting) wives are out there hunting with each other, while the "true group of four" has twice as many hunters, thereby increasing the likelihood of harvest. I'd say that balances out the "ethics" just about right.

Farmer
07-10-2015, 10:11 AM
But it isn't along the same lines, because in the fishing case, 14 fish get harvested instead of 2. (But even then, 6 kids can eat a lot of fish.)

In the LEH shared moose situation, all that happens is the guys with wives have a bit better odds of winning a draw, for a chance at a moose or 2, for their families. Same number of animals will be harvested, and the guy has no unfair advantage over any other hunters out there with a tag.

I agree. Last year my wife and I drew a shared moose hunt in November. She came along but only had a mule deer tag as we were hunting together and it didn't make sense for both of us to buy moose tags when only one could be harvested. She was OK with not having a moose tag and letting me pull the trigger if we found a moose.
Unfortunately no moose were harmed during our hunt, but that is hunting.
Now if it was a group with 3 or more hunters and 2 LEH authorizations, then she would have had a tag even if we were hunting together.

BearStump
07-10-2015, 10:40 AM
I agree. Last year my wife and I drew a shared moose hunt in November. She came along but only had a mule deer tag as we were hunting together and it didn't make sense for both of us to buy moose tags when only one could be harvested. She was OK with not having a moose tag and letting me pull the trigger if we found a moose.
Unfortunately no moose were harmed during our hunt, but that is hunting.
Now if it was a group with 3 or more hunters and 2 LEH authorizations, then she would have had a tag even if we were hunting together.

Now THAT is illegal.
Two Licences Required
If you obtain LEH authorization(s), you
must also possess and carry your valid B.C.
resident hunting licence and the appropriate
valid B.C. species licence(s) while hunting
under authority of LEH authorization(s).

All members of the group must have a valid
species licence and any group member may
take a Moose or Bison until the shared limit
has been reached.

bighornbob
07-10-2015, 11:01 AM
X2. Must have a species tag if she is out during the season and in the zone.

Now THAT is illegal.
Two Licences Required

has been reached.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Now THAT is illegal.
Two Licences Required

has been reached.

I think it's possible you are misinterpreting that section... The "Two Licences Required" that you have in bold refer's to the 'Hunting Licence' and the 'Species Licence' as being a requirement.

On a "Group Hunt" all members of the application group that are physically hunting for that leh species must have a species licence for that leh species. His wife tagging along hunting mule deer doesn't need a moose licence. She only required a moose licence if she intended to pull the trigger on a moose.

At the very least, a quick perusal of the Wildlife Act doesn't indicate that every person who draws a leh authorization is required to purchase a species licence.

07-10-2015, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=KodiakHntr;1657582]I think it's possible you are misinterpreting that section... The "Two Licences Required" that you have in bold refer's to the 'Hunting Licence' and the 'Species Licence' as being a requirement.

On a "Group Hunt" all members of the application group that are physically hunting for that leh species must have a species licence for that leh species. His wife tagging along hunting mule deer doesn't need a moose licence. She only required a moose licence if she intended to pull the trigger on a moose.

My understanding is the same, why would you require a tag for something you aren't going to shoot, even if you had the leh for it? I shot a whitetail buck before a doe leh l had came in effect one year and could have bought a second tag and hunted my doe but instead hunted the same area as the draw, looking for mulies.......how is that illegal?

Farmer
07-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Now THAT is illegal.
Two Licences Required

has been reached.

The bolded part shows that she was legal as she was not hunting under the authority of LEH authorizations. She was not moose hunting,