PDA

View Full Version : Shulaps - Big Horn Sheep GOS

blackwolf
07-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Hoping to go look for BigHorn in the Shulaps mountain area. Ive read a few posts from prior years on the forum and it seems a lot of people say its not worth it wont find them not there etc, although I cant see there being a gos if the animals aren't there. Can anyone spread any light on the idea of this hunt, info/reccomendations anything? Would be greatly appreciated. Was planning to go scout in mid August and then head up for mid September. Ive noticed there are 4/5 peaks in that area plan on spending 10/14 days for the hunt. Anything helps, Thanks.

REMINGTON JIM
07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Hmm ! First post ever and want sheep hunting info - Good Luck Pal - ;-) RJ

srupp
07-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Hmmm still rams in there but as in all cali outside Kamloops lake..the numbers are getting lower every year..some of my most memorable hunting experiences have been in there...american drop out living in the mountains...big bears. .flew this area looking for the missing crashed helicopter that was darting sheep...m99?...later went back looking for rams for many years..flew over it several times ptior to resigning...
Better places imo but certsinly sheep there..
Srupp

bighornbob
07-07-2015, 10:32 PM
There has been an elk season in MU 8-10 for as long as I can remember (35+years) and I have never seen one. Only in the last few years ( since the OK mountain fire) have they been seen on a regular basis. Sure every few years a guy might get a bull but it was rare. Others like me, elk have never seen one.

That being said, I am sure there are sheep there but they are few and far between. Spending a scouting trip and ten days in there will probably give you an idea where they aren't:-P. Remember it's sheep hunting. Like most other sheep hunting the more time you spend in one area the better your chances are.

Bhb

blackwolf
07-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Haha thx rj will post how she goes

blackwolf
07-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Thx for info srupp and bighornbob, will have to get in the bush and see what I see.

REMINGTON JIM
07-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Haha thx rj will post how she goes

Ha :smile: Just bugging ya - i hunted up Jim Creek years ago in the Shulaps - steep and tuff there - Good Luck ! ;) RJ

Tīɡ
07-08-2015, 12:08 AM
Not to derail the thread..but does anyone know what the muley population is like up there? The OP could luck out on a high country muley while looking for sheep.

Boner
07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Here's a tip: Offsales beer in Goldbridge is $18 for a six pack of Bud. It's past the Shulaps but closer than a trip back to Lillooet. Might want to stock up for the whole trip, or hit the store in GB before they close for the day.

LYKTOHUNT
07-08-2015, 10:35 AM
I went in on horse back a few years back, did not see any sheep, did see a few pretty nice muleys and had a big grizz around our camp ( made a couple of nights nervous for the horses and us) while we were there. It looked to me that the mountain bike people were in there a lot, bike tracks everywhere

swampthing
07-08-2015, 05:11 PM
That was my stompin grounds for about a dozen years. Huntin mulies above treeline was my theme. I never did see a sheep and saw goats only a couple times. I did see sheep hunters in there and there is an outfitter camp just at treeline in a nice spot. Just across the street on nine mile ridge there was always sheep hunters as well. I actually saw a pair of 3/4 curl rams down in the valley below china head. Go and have fun in there. I believe that area is some of the most scenic in BC. I shot a few decent bucks in there but grew thin after awhile as well.

ACE
07-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Saw rams in there years ago ..... it was better Mule deer country ....... Nine Mile Ridge paid off a few times .....

tim3500
07-08-2015, 06:27 PM
My youth was spent up at Colored CR at a cabin just below the outfitters we always seen big bears had 3 at the cabin one morning in the late 70s always got our deer from there and a couple sheep but siteings became less and less have some nice jade from that hill too we held a claim there for many years

blackwolf
07-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Always good to know where to find beer. Also looking for mountain goat, and muley never hurts. Probably going solo as most of my buddies arent into the high country. Didn't know there was grizz there but lately have assumed they could be anywhere as the bear seem to be on the move. Thanks to all you guys for the response and valuable info. Interesting to hear from everyone.

Tīɡ
07-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Always good to know where to find beer. Also looking for mountain goat, and muley never hurts. Probably going solo as most of my buddies arent into the high country. Didn't know there was grizz there but lately have assumed they could be anywhere as the bear seem to be on the move. Thanks to all you guys for the response and valuable info. Interesting to hear from everyone.

You pull a goat tag in there as well?

blackwolf
07-09-2015, 08:56 PM
You pull a goat tag in there as well?

Got lucky, checked yesterday and I drew a goat tag for zone e. Definitely going to try and get that one done.