PDA

View Full Version : I think it's going to be a good hunting season...

HarryToolips
07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
With all the forest fires and other issues we've dealt with over the past while, thought I'd share a little optimism on this site. With our mild winters we've experienced over here the past few seasons I think we're going to have a great hunting season...

In the areas I frequent, I'm seeing lots of deer, both species, and plenty of bucks of both species..also seeing plenty of moose (not alot of bulls but they are showing up in decent numbers on T cams)..calf/fawn recruitment has also been decent from what I'm seeing...also have a buddy who works lots in the woods and he is seeing plenty of elk this year, including calves...all great news..grouse/rabbit seem to be doing good as well..

What are all of you seeing?

604redneck
07-07-2015, 09:19 PM
I saw a hog of a bull up stuart main about 3 weeks ago

Boner
07-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing the meat birds will have 2 clutches of chicks. We haven't had excessive rain to kill the first batch. Should be some nice grouse and chuckar hunting this fall.

604ksmith
07-07-2015, 09:26 PM
In region 7A I'm seeing a lot of moose, hopefully the points you've raised will make it a good season!

OPTIMISM, OPTIMISM, OPTIMISM!

Daybreak
07-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Was surprised how little bear sign I saw this spring although I did cut one tag. The deer are everywhere and some moose although this heat and calving season seems to have them moving less and in the shadows. The number of grouse I have seen tells me that when fall hits and they really start feeding there should be lots to be seen.

HarryToolips
07-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I saw a hog of a bull up stuart main about 3 weeks ago
Ya that's a productive area for moose, too bad once immy season starts that area turns into a walled tent-town lol...

HarryToolips
07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Was surprised how little bear sign I saw this spring although I did cut one tag. The deer are everywhere and some moose although this heat and calving season seems to have them moving less and in the shadows. The number of grouse I have seen tells me that when fall hits and they really start feeding there should be lots to be seen.
Howd you kill a bear in this heat lol, every time I got out it was too hot to shoot one, I was worried about bone-sour..

Daybreak
07-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Howd you kill a bear in this heat lol, every time I got out it was too hot to shoot one, I was worried about bone-sour..

May 22 if recall correctly. Yes, it was warm but I had him gutted and taken up high by 11:00 am where I packed him full of and buried him in snow. He was on ice within 90 minutes. Not especially big or small but a good eater with a shitty coat. He lay there all day and I brought him down a couple of hours before dark. It certainly wasn't the heat wave we are experiencing now.

71_camaro
07-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Im with you.been scouting fairly hard.no deer up high yet.not sure why.they should be there by now.but in the valley bottom tonnes of deer and bucks.weve seen 3 good bucks so fatr and one will be minimum 180. Probably bigger.but at the trailhead.not in the alpine

3006pg
07-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Lots of moose and deer seen by myself this spring should be a magical season !

HarryToolips
07-08-2015, 05:59 AM
May 22 if recall correctly. Yes, it was warm but I had him gutted and taken up high by 11:00 am where I packed him full of and buried him in snow. He was on ice within 90 minutes. Not especially big or small but a good eater with a shitty coat. He lay there all day and I brought him down a couple of hours before dark. It certainly wasn't the heat wave we are experiencing now.
Well congrats! I wasn't able to get out much in may darn ya that woulda been a better month..

HarryToolips
07-08-2015, 06:00 AM
Im with you.been scouting fairly hard.no deer up high yet.not sure why.they should be there by now.but in the valley bottom tonnes of deer and bucks.weve seen 3 good bucks so fatr and one will be minimum 180. Probably bigger.but at the trailhead.not in the alpine
Good to hear..ya I'm seein em down low but also high 1700-1800 m +...

caddisguy
07-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Agreed. Mild winter and fairly dry spring 2 years in a row. Grouse numbers should increase exponetially. Deer should have pulled through the winter just fine. Seeing lots of does with 2 fawns, grouse on the roads and bucks on the t-cams. Definitely seeing more action this spring than last spring. If I see 1/4 of these animals in the fall, it will be a great year.

71_camaro
07-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Ya by valley bottoms i mean 4-5000 ft

HarryToolips
07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Agreed. Mild winter and fairly dry spring 2 years in a row. Grouse numbers should increase exponetially. Deer should have pulled through the winter just fine. Seeing lots of does with 2 fawns, grouse on the roads and bucks on the t-cams. Definitely seeing more action this spring than last spring. If I see 1/4 of these animals in the fall, it will be a great year.
LOL ya first bit of hunting pressure and they disappear real quick...the whitetails especially..

caddisguy
07-09-2015, 06:49 AM
LOL ya first bit of hunting pressure and they disappear real quick...the whitetails especially..

Had a few nice bucks on my tcams go into invisible mode a couple days before bow season started last year. Forget hunting pressure... they know the regs! I think I lost a copy of the regs in the bush back in 2013. Sorry guys... I ruined hunting :(