PDA

View Full Version : Horse Back Solo

mikek
07-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Im heading in on a solo horseback hunt For opening week, not by choice my backpack partner cancelled out on me. So I decided to take in the ponys, Any guys have much luck or enjoy the solo Hunts. Any tips or pointers with being solo or hints for the horses would be greatly apprciated.

Gone_Fishin_
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM
GPS makes more sense.... deleted my post... lol

Had a duh moment.

SPOT or GPS...

Mtn Wonderer
07-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Be Careful pick your horses wisely, sometimes horses can do some crazy things!!! Even to the savyist horseman, which I am not!!!
But I have witnessed some insanity, I have to admit thou solo on horse back with one pack horse behind traveling in the mountains can't think of many better
places to be.

Might be less trouble to hire a porter or two, WAIT this isn't Nepal Sorry.

I enjoy solo hunts, one of the backpack alarms might give you a little piece of mind at night.

I have been looking into one.

.264winmag
07-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Spot or something along the lines. There's another one out that allows you to send/receive texts anywhere.
A camera and tripod that has timer etc to take decent pics of you/your monster?
http://joby.com/gorillapod
I'm using one for my spotting scope now, comes in handy for pics too.
Good luck, safe travels.

boxhitch
07-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Your controlling factor will be feeding the shitters. Camp will be where the feed is.
The solo pack trip will be the adventure , better even if you can get in some hunting.
Strong hobbles , loud bells , stout lead ropes , tie em high and short
Always have a 'grip' on at least one horse , by that I mean you have to be able somehow to ride one if the others are gone
The 'grip' can be a handful of hair , a rope tied to a tree or the undying trust that one will remain loyal and stick around for you.

Never trust a horse
If they can , they will , maybe not today but someday.

Mtn Wonderer
07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
That's what I mean!!! Never trust a horse X 2!!!

Your controlling factor will be feeding the shitters. Camp will be where the feed is.
The solo pack trip will be the adventure , better even if you can get in some hunting.
Strong hobbles , loud bells , stout lead ropes , tie em high and short
Always have a 'grip' on at least one horse , by that I mean you have to be able somehow to ride one if the others are gone
The 'grip' can be a handful of hair , a rope tied to a tree or the undying trust that one will remain loyal and stick around for you.

Never trust a horse
If they can , they will , maybe not today but someday.

Clint_S
07-07-2015, 02:34 PM

Exactly, that and water.
I've often wondered if a string of four llamas wouldn't be quieter, easier to feed and safer. Only problem is you'd have to walk :|

Foxton Gundogs
07-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Remember a "bomb proof" horse is like a unloaded gun, thats the one that will kill you. how much knowledge do you have, can you reset a shoe or tend a colicy horse 2 days from a farrier or vet? I always pre shape a set of shoes for each horse and pack them with nails., much easier than trying to do it on a rock. Make sure you have vet suplies and look after your horses before yourself a bucket of cold water over the back will save a sore backed horse also a leg rubdown with cold water. Your horses are your lifeline as stated always have a night horse pocketed close to camp. It's a great experience if you do it right and take precautions.

07-07-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure how a guy can wrangle and hunt?? I think it would be tough.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-07-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure how a guy can wrangle and hunt?? I think it would be tough.

Early mornings and late nights. i guide alone every year. The days do seem a lot longer without a wrangler.

swampthing
07-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Don't know a thing about horses but solo trips are very rewarding. I enjoy other people while hunting but getting away from everything and everyone is something that I enjoy very much. I never cancel a trip I want to do because I don't have a partner. Have fun.

Blair
07-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Could be very rewarding. However, if you're not very familiar with backcountry Horse travel and all it entails, I would recommend something less adventurous to start off with.

Cordillera
07-07-2015, 10:15 PM
For fun read "on the trail of the ghengis khan". An Australian who horse backs across Asia from Mongolia to Hungary. Great adventure that made me appreciate horses, and then made me appreciate modern travel even more!

375shooter
07-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Im heading in on a solo horseback hunt For opening week, not by choice my backpack partner cancelled out on me. So I decided to take in the ponys, Any guys have much luck or enjoy the solo Hunts. Any tips or pointers with being solo or hints for the horses would be greatly apprciated.

If you haven't hunted with your horses before, I would say break them into it slowly. First go on a short overnight trip closer to home, then for subsequent trips gradually increase the distance and the length of time you're gone. Go to different areas to give the horses a chance to become comfortable in unfamiliar places. These trips will give you a chance to see how your horses react to different situations on the trail, such as when encountering bogs, doing river crossings or meeting wildlife. And you will find out if your saddles and cinches are all fitting properly.

To keep the horses close to camp, first try 2 leg hobbles and don't forget to put bells on each one to make it easier to locate them in case they do get too far away. It might be a good idea to practice riding bareback so you won't have to walk back while retrieving your horses. If 2 leg hobbles don't keep them close enough, try 3 leg hobbles or an electric fence corral.

This preliminary experience will give you a chance to gather the valuable knowledge that is necessary to ensure you have a memorable and successful horseback hunt. You'll find out what does work and what doesn't work. Jump into it too quick, without learning what you need to, and it may become memorable in a bad way.

Good luck.

mikek
07-09-2015, 10:57 PM
I have been going with horses for 5 years now all self taught, all wYs gone with some one just wanted to throw the question out there for the experienced solo hunters, love hearing the story's and ideas thanks for the Replys

Foxton Gundogs
07-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Early mornings and late nights. i guide alone every year. The days do seem a lot longer without a wrangler.

And you thank the Lord if you get a hunter that has some horse savvy.

khoffnbud
07-10-2015, 05:27 PM
love solo trips, but leave the horses at home, pack in there on your own two feet.

Jagermeister
07-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Don't go so far off the beaten track that you can't walk back.

tony m
07-11-2015, 09:40 AM
For me..I prefer hunting on my own, always horseback and usually have a pack horse follow along.I go fairly light, only burdened by necessities,imo you will run into troubles along the way..it is the way things are out there.I believe any of us that are raised around livestock have an easy time of this.If you don't know how to replace a shoe, take a roll of duct tape , lots of quality rope and I wear wools from head to toe and a felt hat.I was taught never go without wool..old school.I enjoy it more, am more observant hunting on my own..good luck