PDA

View Full Version : Protect a CO

bruin
07-06-2015, 11:11 PM
When we get a good CO, one that's willing to use common sense and think big picture, I think it's important to support and protect him. My personal experience with Bryce is that he is just that! He works his butt off for wildlife and the local community. Please read and sign the petition below, the CO Service could use more members like Bryce!

https://www.change.org/p/ministry-of-environment-mary-polak-reinstate-conservation-officer-bryce-casavant?recruiter=27892127&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg

Steeleco
07-06-2015, 11:28 PM
Done, hope it helps

Goose
07-07-2015, 01:21 AM
DONE and DONE!

srthomas75
07-07-2015, 04:08 AM
done, signed,

BigfishCanada
07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
How was he asked to put them down i wonder? One of the shitty parts of the job i guess, i would assume with a needle and not a rifle?

Big Lew
07-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Done! Far too often the bureaucrats sitting in their offices far from the
situation make decisions without fully investigating or understanding the
complete picture. They should be supporting their front line employees.
It seems Mary Polak and company suspended the CO because he dared
to make a decision which was against their order without properly considering
why he chose to. It's obvious his decision was made because there was no danger
to the public, he had the welfare of the cubs in mind, and he also had sensitive public
opinion and relations to consider....something his bosses sitting in their offices far
from the field seem not to care about.

greybark
07-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Done ..........
Cheers

charr
07-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Done........

blacklab
07-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Give me a brake!!
I thought I'd seen it all.

Viper
07-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Typical arm chair quarter backs. If he would have shot the cubs cause they had no chance of surviving without mama bear he would have been hung out to dry as well. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The court of public opinion will find him not guilty and have him re-instated ASAP.

albravo2
07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
signed. good luck.

goatdancer
07-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Maybe those bureaucrats should be suspended without pay instead.

blacklab
07-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Does anybody know what he intended to do with the cubs?

hotload
07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
DONE!!!! In many cases Discretion needs to be observed, this is one of them...........................................

Ry151
07-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Signed, co's have a tuff job and good ones are hard to find

Lastcar
07-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Signed.

But also curious what the plan for the cubs was. I assume he was going to let nature takes it course instead of him terminating them? Which seems reasonable to me.

It is how it works when we don't interfere.

Sure it sucks for the cubs when we look at it through human eyes. But Mother Nature gives no f&%ks about what we think.

Although she probably wishes we'd lay off with some of crappy behaviours and treating her like a dump. ;-)

Grizzlydick
07-07-2015, 09:58 AM
as his arm patch say's CONSERVATION OFFICER should give the person above him the needle

FirePower
07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Does anybody know what he intended to do with the cubs?

This would be an option.

http://www.niwra.org/

boxhitch
07-07-2015, 10:38 AM
It seems Mary Polak and company suspended the CO because he dared
to make a decision which was against their order without properly considering
why he chose to. It's obvious his decision was made because ..........obvious ?

So where does one draw the line on insubordination or disregard for standard operating procedures ?
I won't pick a side without the rest of the story and there has to be more than just this one instance.

thepitchedlink
07-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Done.....Wow, what a stupid thing to even have to deal with....sounds like a solid guy

Lastcar
07-07-2015, 10:50 AM
obvious ?

So where does one draw the line on insubordination or disregard for standard operating procedures ?
I won't pick a side without the rest of the story and there has to be more than just this one instance.

Ya something fishy here..

Majority of the times government employers are not keen to suspend without pay or any significant punitive punishment of unionized employees. It is often far too much of a hassle with the various meetings with employee and union rep and subsequent grievances. Which can lead to arbitration. At least in my experiences on both sides of the ledger. And this is not say it is right, simply that it is a reality. Or was 8 years ago.

Hence why there is a lot of loose and fast stuff going on with government employees. That and it tends to not be the premier employees who move into management positions.

I remember when I first became a manager with a provincial Gov org. Flown to Victoria for an orientation. I looked around the room at the other 11 people that also got promoted. Thought to myself...whoa...is this the bar you've set in life? To be able to get the same job all these folks are also able to get? Granted there were a couple good folks but...I set a goal to have moved onto something else in two years or less. It happened.

Point being, either there is a trigger happy manager, a personal thing going on with the supervisor, or a well documented history and progressive punishment leading to this.

I am not saying the CO was wrong. Or right. I really don't know. Someone mentioned he is a good CO. No one has stated the opposite. So I am taking that at face value.

I signed the petition to make a statement that I want this division of gov to be managed properly and due course be taken when decisions about a person's employment are being made. Not to specifically support the CO in being reinstated and made whole not just because the court of public opinion says so and is a good guy.

BigfishCanada
07-07-2015, 12:08 PM
We are quick to judge based on no understanding. I agree good CO but how do we know what really went on, and we quickly jump to signing a petition

Glenny
07-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Did. "I must fight idiocy" !

steel_ram
07-07-2015, 04:21 PM
I'd give the CO the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's stirred the mud previously. Hope so! Put the cubs on the Ministers desk or even one of the Jutland desk jockeys' and have them kill the cubs.

JIL_24/7
07-07-2015, 04:45 PM
The cubs were taken to a wildlife rehabilitation facility and put in a pen next to other cubs. They have been given a "mark" to identify them I guess in case they are ordered to be put down.

hunter1947
07-07-2015, 04:47 PM
I signed this petition that was on face books this morning and yes I am pulling for Bryce all the way ,,good luck Bryce your head is not in a place where others heads are ,,good luck I and my family and friends are pulling for you all the way on getting back into the drivers seat..

Grizzlydick
07-07-2015, 06:19 PM
reguardless of he said she said, its about the cubs, they were placed where i thought they would be, and it is funded mainly by joe blow, not the govt i do believe, so what of it......................
sniffing to much smoke, must be on the pipe....

john.b
07-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Signed, shared on facebook

Moose Guide
07-07-2015, 06:50 PM
If he is a good man, I will sign! I wonder who will raise the cubs? Shooting them would be far kinder than sending them to a zoo!

eddy p
07-07-2015, 07:03 PM
i can't believe that shit. signed and definitely commented.

Iron Glove
07-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Signed, we need to keep, not can CO's like him.

Barracuda
07-07-2015, 07:08 PM
im kinda with moose guide on this. if putting down the cubs is SOP then it is what it is . the money and resources put into retrieving the cubs and then now raising them could be put somewhere useful instead of two BB cubs .It isn't like they are in short supply over there. There has to be more to this story then meets the eye.

steel_ram
07-07-2015, 09:12 PM
im kinda with moose guide on this. if putting down the cubs is SOP then it is what it is . the money and resources put into retrieving the cubs and then now raising them could be put somewhere useful instead of two BB cubs .It isn't like they are in short supply over there. There has to be more to this story then meets the eye.

True. Could you kill two healthy cubs if you had another option?

Barracuda
07-07-2015, 09:19 PM
well if he had another viable option within his job outline then why would he be in trouble?

Putting down an animal is part of the job and if that's the SOP for that particular situation then yes I would

ruger#1
07-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Signed, Thanks Bruin.

dino
07-07-2015, 09:43 PM
signed because I trust bruin on his word.

REMINGTON JIM
07-07-2015, 10:15 PM
obvious ?

I agree with you on this one - might be a great Guy BUT ? and we are NOT ! short on black bears in BC - jmo RJ

Whonnock Boy
07-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Hmmmm.... This is a tough one. Being that the mother was put down for breaking and entering, I wonder if that type of behavior was already imprinted on the cubs? If so, he should have pulled the trigger. It's a hard part of the job, but someone has to do it.

hunter1947
07-08-2015, 04:53 AM
The cubs will be released back into the wild once they are old enough to survive..

landphil
07-08-2015, 06:45 AM
A little late to the party here, but I just came on here to post about this and found I'd been beaten to the punch. I knew this guy as a teenager, so gonna have to take his side on this one even though it's been many years.

drum_boy101
07-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Signed. :-)

325 wsm
07-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Its nice to see people who have the balls to put their jobs on the line and fight the system when they know there are better options. If there were more people like him our system wouldnt be so screwed up.
Signed.

wideopenthrottle
07-08-2015, 07:11 AM
based on the good word of a couple of members here, I signed it

blacklab
07-08-2015, 07:19 AM
The cubs will be released back into the wild once they are old enough to survive..

Those cubs are old enough now to be released on their own. Five month old they're ready to go.
The problem with releasing them to the wild is it lacks political advantage.

steel_ram
07-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Punished by his seniors for not obeying standard operating procedures. I bet if killing the cubs when public those sitting in Victoria would leave this CO out to hang. It was his call.

caddisguy
07-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a solid guy with a good rep. That said, I don't know the details regarding the alternatives to putting them down.

What is the cost of caring for them and who is paying the bill? Will it set precedent to care for all animals that need care or rehabilitation going forward? Is that sustainable or can the money be put to better use?

Will these be problem bears when released? A potential danger for people and property? Who is liable if they hurt or kill someone in 3 years?

One thing emphasized in the CORE is that personal ethics/morals are not always on par with the law and there are reasons for law that are often longer-sighted that what our hearts feel in heat of the moment.

My heart would want to save the cubs too. I would also feel like taking the salvagable meat from a fresh "head shot road kill" rather than "waste" it is the right thing to do. If I ever tried to release a fish that wasn't legal, but was hopeless, I'd want to keep it. If I found a mortally wounded deer crying and suffering, I'd want to put it out. Can't though, as there are laws with good reason.

Hard to fault anyone following their heart, that's for sure. Wasn't there, don't know the details, can't judge. Would be nice if he just got a stern talking to about the policy and that this never turned into a media circus though.

The comments on news articles making bears out to be some rare and amazing mystical creatures greater than evil humans and most other animals combined raises my blood pressure... yet I always end up reading them for some silly reason.

boxhitch
07-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Its nice to see people who have the balls to put their jobs on the line and fight the system when they know there are better options. If there were more people like him our system wouldnt be so screwed up.
Signed.Yeah , if everyone would just do what they wanted because they know better than the system , the system would be just fine.:shock:

MB_Boy
07-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I see one of the hunting community's favourite spokespeople :roll: has got a hold of this story....Ricky Gervais is tweeting about it.

Gateholio
07-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Apparently they are at the North Island wildlife recovery center

.330 Dakota
07-08-2015, 09:39 AM
My guess and its ONLY A GUESS,,,he has a supervisor with less experience than him, and there is a personal beef about control and authority,,,,,however that being said true or not,,,I believe he did the right thing in the name of conservation.
Its no skin off the CO service or the taxpayer for what he did, and no one was harmed, including the cubs.
Im thinking its an "Im the Boss" message. I try as best I can to live by the motto "right is right-wrong is wrong, and I dont care who's name is attached to it"

blacklab
07-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Apparently they are at the North Island wildlife recovery center

Where they can be used for political advantage and to raise money.
So how good is this for us or the bears.
They should be out where bears are supposed to be, doing what bears do.
Do they have cute names for them yet?

Monashee
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
this issue is currently on CBC radio , some solid info being related by people in the know . Bottom line is if bears associated humans with food, coming around human habitation then the bears will be killed.

This wouldn't have happened if the food was secured in the first place .... sounds like it was a freezer/fridge outside.

Monashee
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Grizzly bear researcher Barrie Gilbert was just on CBC radio , solid knowledge http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/article/gilberts-grizzlies

mtnmanmike
07-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Supposedly through crackbook He has been reinstated with pay. Hopefully it's true

BRvalley
07-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Do they have cute names for them yet?

"Jordan and Athena are twin cubs who were rescued in Port Hardy after their mother was euthanized for being a garbage bear. "

MB_Boy
07-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Supposedly through crackbook He has been reinstated with pay. Hopefully it's true

News is reporting pay reinstated but still suspended. I won't link to the article because Gervais' face and name heads up the article but it is referenced if you look on CBC news site.

Keta1969
07-08-2015, 01:48 PM
http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/312244861.html Hope the link works,more info

blacklab
07-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Kudos to Bryce!
It would take an extremely callous person to execute the 2 innocent cubs that are about 8 weeks old and still nursing.

List of BC rehabilitation facilities –some will take bears.
http://www.wrnbc.org/contact/find-a-local-rehabilitator/

His superior's name/s that gave the orders & suspension should be revealed.

You people should spend some time doing a little bear study.
8 week old cubs in July? Shows what you know!
Check out some of the studies done on cub survival in the wild.

Steve W
07-08-2015, 04:02 PM
There just has to be more to this story. I've had first hand experience in the effort it takes to suspend a gov't employee for doing something they should not have and for not doing something that they should have. It's a long detailed process. Lots of people involved and his direct supervisor couldn't do it. You need the approval of several people who look over the information and support the recommendation or not. The BCGEU should be right at his side through teh whole process too.

When you put on a CO uniform you take on a lot of responsibility and have a lot of discretion on how to do your job, but when you get explicit instructions to do something in a particular way you need to do it that way and question why later. You have to be able take the public criticism of your decision and those above you who make them for you. If you can't work within the system then you need to consider other options for a career.

ajeatoo
07-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Signed and done

Salty
07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
There's been a lot more details released on local media here about this, all but what when where were the orders and was there a communication problem or what, that will come out with time I hope. But essentially the mother bear was doing all the freezer raiding and was destroyed. The two nursing cubs were left up a tree a distance away. When the mother was destroyed the cubs came looking for her. CO and FD guys wrestled them threw blankets over them and took them to a licenced recovery centre down island. Heard the manager there say the bears are excellent candidates for release in a year's plus time when they're old enough, they show fear of humans and have had next to no contact and are acting like wild bears are supposed to. This isn't a zoo they range and fend for themselves with no human contact with plans for release in to the wild. The recovery centre guy is also firmly on the COs side.

Keta1969
07-08-2015, 04:18 PM
After reading the story I feel the cubs should have been put down. What is their future now? Even if it is proven that they were in garbage and getting habituated to humans, there's not much chance they'll be killed now because of the public outcry. If they're released and cause problems there will be someone screaming for heads to roll. So maybe a lifetime in a zoo. As others have said we have lots of blackies on the Island and resources and time would be better spent elsewhere. I think the CO was in a difficult situation and is probably a good guy from all accounts and should have reconfirmed his orders and then done what needed to be done. Do I think he should be suspended without pay? No

steel_ram
07-08-2015, 04:41 PM
There were several people involved with these cubs; the CO, firefighters, home owner. This would have gone public either way. This CO has to live in this community. He made the best call with the information in front of him. His "superiors", who were not there should respect and support their man on the ground. Now the desk jockeys will play politics to save their ego's.

Bunner
07-08-2015, 04:49 PM
done and done Even got my boy to sign it

top_gun223
07-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately the animal is usually shot with a .22. It is the worst part of the job. My best buddy was a c.o. For over 20 years and hated this part.

dino
07-08-2015, 06:18 PM
There just has to be more to this story. I've had first hand experience in the effort it takes to suspend a gov't employee for doing something they should not have and for not doing something that they should have. It's a long detailed process. Lots of people involved and his direct supervisor couldn't do it. You need the approval of several people who look over the information and support the recommendation or not. The BCGEU should be right at his side through teh whole process too.

When you put on a CO uniform you take on a lot of responsibility and have a lot of discretion on how to do your job, but when you get explicit instructions to do something in a particular way you need to do it that way and question why later. You have to be able take the public criticism of your decision and those above you who make them for you. If you can't work within the system then you need to consider other options for a career.
Sometimes following orders is the wrong thing to do.

blacklab
07-08-2015, 06:56 PM
That's so cute they have names now so all the kids can send the cards and letters.
And the leaf lickers can send money.
Of course the rescue center is all behind the CO. he's their meal ticket.
Bear cubs are not born in the middle of may, I don't care what the Sun says.
Look up some of the studies on bear cub survival. Cubs of the year have no problem on their own in the northeast states, they shouldn't have a problem on Vancouver Island.

Salty
07-08-2015, 07:02 PM
The cubs would have been born in Jan or Feb the Sun's got it wrong. I think they said they're 25 lbs which sounds about right bears are very slow to mature compared to most animals. They're too young to have learned much of anything out of this.

Sitkaspruce
07-08-2015, 07:59 PM
These bears and the petition are all being run on emotions and the general public, including folks on here, are eating it up.......are you really signing it because a CO got suspended or because there is cute little cubs in the picture??

I cannot wait until some of the same people who signed the petition because of those little cute buggers have those same cute little buggers try to get into their home, cabin, vehicle or even worse, attack a kid and will be screaming for those same CO's to come kill those cute little buggers.....

We have no shortage of bears here in BC and although it may seem inhumane to euthanize them, the CO's are the professional and know what they are doing. There has been lots before and there will be lots after.

Funny how we do not have a petition for those same bears as adults and a CO shoots a couple.......oh wait we do and they are from the Rainforest and WCWC and all the other anti's......

Cheers

SS

REMINGTON JIM
07-08-2015, 08:13 PM
These bears and the petition are all being run on emotions and the general public, including folks on here, are eating it up.......are you really signing it because a CO got suspended or because there is cute little cubs in the picture??

I cannot wait until some of the same people who signed the petition because of those little cute buggers have those same cute little buggers try to get into their home, cabin, vehicle or even worse, attack a kid and will be screaming for those same CO's to come kill those cute little buggers.....

We have no shortage of bears here in BC and although it may seem inhumane to euthanize them, the CO's are the professional and know what they are doing. There has been lots before and there will be lots after.

Funny how we do not have a petition for those same bears as adults and a CO shoots a couple.......oh wait we do and they are from the Rainforest and WCWC and all the other anti's......

Cheers

SS

Yup Good Post - too much of a big deal about this situation ! :frown: more important stuff to be worried about in MHO ! RJ

blacklab
07-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Finally a little common sense. Must be cause the kiddy's have gone to bed.
Anybody that thinks cub bears are cute and cuddly has never handled one.
They're mean, they bite and they stink.

Salty
07-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Well said SS. Story has gone international and lost hope of much reason any more but I'm still looking forward to hearing more of exactly what happened and won't be signing any petitions before if at all.

tuner
07-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Some of the petition signers (notwithstanding some hunters and members of this forum) are the same folks that sign petitions to abolish bear hunting and hunting in general, sometimes it's prudent to know who you're getting into bed with.

blacklab
07-08-2015, 09:05 PM
The story has gone where the CO and the wildlife recovery people wanted it to go.
The person running this organization doesn't know when bears are born.?
Eight week old bears are worth more than 5 month old bears.

blacklab
07-08-2015, 09:10 PM
http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/aiding-the-wild-survival-of-orphaned-bear-cubs.pdf

Some interesting reading.

srthomas75
07-08-2015, 09:17 PM
was the petition on here not for the support of the CO? because he was suspended? that was the impression I got.

itsy bitsy xj
07-08-2015, 09:26 PM
all done!!!!

albravo2
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM

I put quite a bit of faith in Steve W's perspective on this because he's worn the uniform and knows what he's talking about.

But, I signed it because people say he's a good CO. I'd recommend the same for a couple of the guys I've met around here. Good, solid people that i'd be happy to share a camp with.

Maybe he is a guy with a good conscience and solid morals, maybe he is an idiot that doesn't work well with others. Both are possible, I hope it is the former reason, not the latter.

Opinionated Ol Phart
07-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Yup-- life is sure a bitch.. Cruel too... But he stuck to his guns, and for a while it looked like he was gonzo..... His choice, and it sure played well in the international media.. Lesson learned (again) ?? Emotion trumps reality hands down.

300wsmBrowning
07-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Done and sent a message as well.

This officer did what makes sense. I know it may not make sense to politicians sitting behind a desk in Ottawa that have zero experience in the field, but what is the sense in killing two cubs that show no signs of desensitization. When dealing with wildlife there is no cut and dried procedure that works for every scenario, each scenario is unique to itself and needs officers like Bryce Casavant that have a clear understanding to manage and resolve these issues. If only we had someone like Bryce managing the zoo we call parliament.

07-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Would have made a nice pair of slippers .........

REMINGTON JIM
07-10-2015, 09:46 AM
would have made a nice pair of slippers .........

lmao ! ;) RJ

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
This officer did what makes sense. I know it may not make sense to politicians sitting behind a desk in Ottawa that have zero experience in the field, but what is the sense in killing two cubs that show no signs of desensitization. When dealing with wildlife there is no cut and dried procedure that works for every scenario, each scenario is unique to itself and needs officers like Bryce Casavant that have a clear understanding to manage and resolve these issues. If only we had someone like Bryce managing the zoo we call parliament.

Makes sense? More tax payer dollars spent on a pair of bear cubs... More time and money has already been spent on this by the gov't in having to reply and review to the public than should have been.

I agree with a few other posters here.... Nature is emotionless, and always does what's right.

goatdancer
07-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Makes sense? More tax payer dollars spent on a pair of bear cubs... More time and money has already been spent on this by the gov't in having to reply and review to the public than should have been.

I agree with a few other posters here.... Nature is emotionless, and always does what's right.

Probably less money spent than Christy's fly over to see the fire by Whistler.
Nature's way would have seen the cubs starve to death. It has SFA to do with shooting the cubs.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Same end result for the cubs though. If he'd done his job as mandated, there wouldn't be taxpayer resources spent on the review, etc.

Black bears aren't exactly endangered in the province.....

As to the flyover, nothing to be gained from that either, and I'm not sure how that pertains to the discussion at hand? Actual resource dollars from the conservation budget will need to be spent on this bullshit, to review and reinstate or uphold the original decision. Over two bear cubs?

300wsmBrowning
07-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Actually most animal rescues are volunteer based and not government funded, and nature didn't play much role in the mother being shot. That again ways our doing. Personally I'd rather see our hunting license money and tax dollars going into wildlife conservation and enhancement so we have something to hunt in years to come instead of spending millions on building safe injection houses in Vancouver. Just saying!

DBM
07-10-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/Hacked+emails+show+conservation+officer+trying+sav e+orphaned+bear/11204679/story.html

Maybe I'm a cold hearted SOB but is it such a big deal if the animals are euthanized? It would be done in a painless matter, and it's not like there's a shortage of Black Bears on Northern Vancouver Island.

I'd be willing to bet he's the person who's leaked the emails. It sounds like this Conservation Officer might be happier and better suited doing something else for an occupation, notice he refers to the cubs as "babies". As a professional in his field he should not be anthromorphizing animals.

ElectricDyck
07-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Kill them now or spend a bunch of money on them first and kill them later? CO's personality has nothing to do with it..in my opinion he should of done his job.

BRvalley
07-10-2015, 05:48 PM
these cubs aren't costing taxpayers anything, most wildlife rehab centres are 100% independently funded....not all wildlife groups are anti hunting

sure black bear cubs aren't endangered, easiest thing would be to euthanize them, but I don't fault the guy for showing a small shred of compassion....rehab'ed bears that are released are ear tagged, correct? would be interesting to know what percentage of released bears end up being problem bears later in life

seems most hunters have the mindset to always let nature take it's course, but with the amount of damage humans have done, doesn't hurt to give a little back every now and then

in grade school we had an annual trip to a local wildlife rehab center, one of the highlights we all looked forward too...not only did that spark my interests in conservation, but also hunting, as most of those volunteers were in fact hunters and members of the fish and game club

Steve W
07-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Here's another link with the e-mails included. Lad's got some stones to respond to his boss like he did. The fur hasn't stopped flying on this one by a long shot.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/anonymous-hackers-release-emails-ordering-bear-cubs-be-killed-1.3147003

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 07:18 PM
these cubs aren't costing taxpayers anything, most wildlife rehab centres are 100% independently funded....not all wildlife groups are anti hunting

sure black bear cubs aren't endangered, easiest thing would be to euthanize them, but I don't fault the guy for showing a small shred of compassion....rehab'ed bears that are released are ear tagged, correct? would be interesting to know what percentage of released bears end up being problem bears later in life

seems most hunters have the mindset to always let nature take it's course, but with the amount of damage humans have done, doesn't hurt to give a little back every now and then

in grade school we had an annual trip to a local wildlife rehab center, one of the highlights we all looked forward too...not only did that spark my interests in conservation, but also hunting, as most of those volunteers were in fact hunters and members of the fish and game club

Of course they are costing taxpayers money. The CO service will be forced to spend money on this as a weeks of wages from everyone involved at the very least.

Phreddy
07-10-2015, 07:25 PM

From I've seen of wildlife rescue operations, they're funded by donations and staffed mainly by volunteers, so how would euthanizing the cubs have saved any money, other than what it will cost the CO service in credibility and support?

goatdancer
07-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Same end result for the cubs though. If he'd done his job as mandated, there wouldn't be taxpayer resources spent on the review, etc.

Black bears aren't exactly endangered in the province.....

As to the flyover, nothing to be gained from that either, and I'm not sure how that pertains to the discussion at hand? Actual resource dollars from the conservation budget will need to be spent on this bullshit, to review and reinstate or uphold the original decision. Over two bear cubs?

You're the one who brought up the subject about money being spent.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Different budgets, a flight by the Premier doesn 't have its gas bill paid by the CO service budget, taking gas money directly out of CO gas tanks.... Money spent on public relations, wages during union disputes, etc, does exactly that.

sled-fiend
07-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Willingly singed!

blacklab
07-11-2015, 07:17 AM
So what happens to the next two cubs and the next two, and the next two?
Why just cubs, maybe they can rehab them all!

Steve W
07-11-2015, 08:55 AM
So what happens to the next two cubs and the next two, and the next two?
Why just cubs, maybe they can rehab them all!

Your Right! This type of situation is almost a daily occurrence somewhere in BC from spring through fall. If people expect all the cubs to be rehabbed then they had better dig deep for donations to the facilities to do it private or otherwise. If you expect the gov't to pay for it, figure out where you want the money to come from. It isn't going to be from the political side of things. It'll come out of some operational budget somewhere.

charr
07-11-2015, 09:25 AM
What is this policy they are referring too and this new policy ( that is not yet out).

houndogger
07-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Co's on the island have to kill alot of bears. It's part of the job if they don't like it find another job. Outfitters and residents don't kill enough.

Salty
07-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Hackers to the rescue :roll: This is turning in to an epic gong show there's process to follow this is bullshit isn't helping anything quite the opposite. I'll leave this for the PETA crowd to champion I'm out.

REMINGTON JIM
07-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Co's on the island have to kill alot of bears. It's part of the job if they don't like it find another job. Outfitters and residents don't kill enough.

YUP ! I agree with you ! BEARS are predators and we have way to many in BC ! RJ

300wsmBrowning
07-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion, some people can see past the bureaucratic bs which is waist deep at the best of times. If you stop and think about the ways money is wasted daily on useless meetings and politician lunches, flights, and perks, the money it would take to raise 100 cubs would be a trivial drop in a bucket in comparison. Bottom line is he shouldn't be suspended for it with no pay when cops can shoot an innocent person dead And get sent home with pay and no recourse.

blacklab
07-12-2015, 08:16 AM
For all the people who complain about not enough COs. This little episode is going to have them spending a lot more of their time playing nursemaid to a bunch of bears that should be destroyed.
There are a lot of bear problems in the early fall, when COs should be doing what they were hired to do.

Ambush
07-12-2015, 01:13 PM
But if they had off'd the cubs, that money could have been used to save and rehab some endangered coastal seals. :confused:

On the bright side, money will be rolling into the bear centre from all over the world, ear marked specifically for the "Twins". New money and no tourist hassles.

DBM
07-12-2015, 03:15 PM
"This is a very sad and unfortunate situation," said Mary Polak, Environment Minister in a statement. "Although conservation officers must sometimes put down wild animals for the safety of the public and the welfare of the animal, we understand how difficult it is for all involved."

She said the government has launched an investigation into what happened.
Polak said senior biologists and the provincial wildlife veterinarian are involved in the decision whether to relocate or destroy an animal, in addition to the local conservation officer.

It's now known what they intend to do about the cubs.

Let’s hope some heads will roll & that Bryce not only gets rehired but promoted.
Kudos to Bryce.

I'm quite surprised that a hunter takes this approach. Typically I think of fellow hunters as conservationists, not preservationists but I'm guessing it's an emotional issue for you because bear cubs are cute. What's the difference between humanely killing a couple of bears vs a couple of rats in a rat trap? Bear numbers are not a conservation issue on Vancouver Island and rats are probably just as intelligent (but not as cute).

Barracuda
07-12-2015, 03:27 PM
not to mention even if the cubs were still suckling they are human habituated and predisposed to human conflict as a result .

The CO in my mind should have let the vet euthanize the cubs .

blacklab
07-12-2015, 04:44 PM
I have to check the header on here now and again to make sure I'm not on the PETA sight!

I provided a link to some information on cub survival in this thread.
If they're not garbage bears release them, if they are put them down.
It doesn't get you the junior game warden badge, but that's life.

300wsmBrowning
07-12-2015, 09:30 PM
I have to check the header on here now and again to make sure I'm not on the PETA sight!

I provided a link to some information on cub survival in this thread.
If they're not garbage bears release them, if they are put them down.
It doesn't get you the junior game warden badge, but that's life.
You should work for fisheries, they like to kill off the stocks and then stand back and say " what happened?"
I am a hunter and the only meat that is on my table is what I shoot but I still have enough brains to understand that senseless uthanization is just that! Senseless