PDA

View Full Version : spearing pike minnow

Iron-Head
07-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Looking to see if anyone can give a definitive answer as to whether or not you can legally spear NPM in freshwaters in BC.

Muliechaser
07-06-2015, 02:01 PM
As far as i know carp are the only fish that a person is aloud to spear fish

Mc

FourOhs
07-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Looking to see if anyone can give a definitive answer as to whether or not you can legally spear NPM in freshwaters in BC.
The synopsis has everything you're looking for:

2015-17 Synopsis page 9:
spear fish … means to fish with a spear or an arrow that is propelled by a spring, an elastic band, compressed air, a bow or by hand. Only non-game fish (such as carp) may be speared, except burbot which may also be speared in Regions 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8. No spear fishing of any other game fish (as defined on page 96), pacific salmon or protected species (page 10) is permitted anywhere in B.C. No spear fishing of any kind is permitted in Region 1.

Page 10 (definition of protected species):
PROTECTED SPECIES
It is illegal to fish for, or catch and retain any of the fish listed below. If you accidentally catch one, you must release it right away where you captured it. The fish on this list are considered to be at risk in Canada and are legally protected by federal statutes.
- Cultus Lake Sculpin
- Enos Lake Stickleback
- Misty Lake Stickleback
- Nooksack Dace
- Paxton Lake Stickleback
- Rocky Mountain Sculpin
- Shorthead Sculpin
- Salish Sucker
- Vananda Creek Stickleback
- Vancouver Lamprey
- Western Brook Lamprey (Morrison Creek population)
- White Sturgeon (Nechako, Upper Fraser, Kootenay and Columbia populations)
For more information on protected species, please visit Environment Canada’s website at www.sararegistry.gc.ca (http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca).

Page 96 (definition of game fish):
Freshwater game fish are defined as follows:
Trout
- rainbow trout
- steelhead
- cutthroat trout
- brown trout

Char
- Dolly Varden
- bull trout*
- lake trout
- brook trout

Whitefish
- lake whitefish
- mountain whitefish

Bass
- largemouth bass
- smallmouth bass

Other
- kokanee
- Arctic grayling
- burbot (ling)
- white sturgeon
- black crappie
- northern pike
- yellow perch
- walleye
- goldeye
- inconnu
- crayfish

* any bull trout you catch and keep much be counted as part of your Dolly Varden quota

FourOhs
07-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Executive summary: the Northern Pikeminnow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pikeminnow) is not listed as either protected (haha) or as a game fish. Spear away.

I initially incorrectly thought maybe it was counted as Lake Whitefish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_whitefish) (thus, a game fish). It's not; it's in a different family altogether. Just be sure what you're spearing is, in fact, a Northern Pikeminnow and not a Lake Whitefish. They could be hard to differentiate when they're down in the water.

goatdancer
07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Lake whitefish have an adipose fin, northern pikeminnows don't.

Sofa King
07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
it's usually coarse fish that can be speared etc.

Sofa King
07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
so, are they saying that a crayfish is a fish??

FourOhs
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Yes, crayfish are counted as fish for the purposes of the regulations. Most regions have a daily limit of 25, and a soft "recommendation" of 9cm+.

Sofa King
07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
interesting.
but, they aren't really a fish right?

tigrr
07-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Pike minnow or squaw fish are good for canning or fertilizer. Or just sport. Hmm bow and arrow..

FourOhs
07-07-2015, 07:04 AM
interesting.
but, they aren't really a fish right?Yeah, they're a freshwater crustacean.

Stainless
07-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Executive summary: the Northern Pikeminnow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_pikeminnow) is not listed as either protected (haha) or as a game fish. Spear away.

I initially incorrectly thought maybe it was counted as Lake Whitefish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_whitefish) (thus, a game fish). It's not; it's in a different family altogether. Just be sure what you're spearing is, in fact, a Northern Pikeminnow and not a Lake Whitefish. They could be hard to differentiate when they're down in the water.

Yup. Whitefish are in the Salmonidae family (Salmon, Trout, Whitefish) while Pikeminnow are the largest in the minnow group of fish (Leuciscinae) belonging to the larger family of Cyprinidae (Carp and Minnow)

Amphibious
07-07-2015, 12:02 PM
It's all in the regs, plain as day. Freshwater in BC: Carp, Burbot, Squawfish. No Spearing in Reg 1 or 4.

We shoot them all the time.

Mikey Rafiki
07-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Wonder what's so special about Region 4?

FourOhs
07-07-2015, 12:45 PM
It's all in the regs, plain as day. Freshwater in BC: Carp, Burbot, Squawfish. No Spearing in Reg 1 or 4.That's inaccurate/incorrect on at least three points. :)

Any non-game and non-protected fish in BC can be spear fished, not limited to Carp, Burbot and northern Pikeminnow. (Bullheads, almost anything that dumbass aquarium owners have dumped in local lakes (such as Goldfish and Snakeheads), ...)*
You can only spear fish for burbot in regions 3, and 5-8.
There is no general prohibition in the synopsis on spear fishing in region 4.

But, you're right, it is all in the regs plain as day.

*I'm an aquarium owner, but I know better than to dump store-bought fish into local waters. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

Iron-Head
07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Appreciate the responses, I'm aware the information is all there. My asking was to further a discussion I had with a Co who's impression was only non native species may be speared.

Appreciate the discussion!

Happy spearing

Amphibious
07-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Been freedive spearfishing for 25yrs, 10yrs in BC. ALWAYS carry a copy of the regs. CO/Fishcops seem to be a bit fuzzy on them.

FourOhs: you would not belive how many aquarium species I've shot in BC waters. Took a Beautiful Koi in Kal Lake a few years back ;)

Foxtail
07-07-2015, 06:11 PM
I have a couple bows ready to go... When and where? :D

FourOhs
07-08-2015, 08:16 AM
FourOhs: you would not belive how many aquarium species I've shot in BC waters. Took a Beautiful Koi in Kal Lake a few years back ;)Thank you! Keep it up. That's my back yard. :) You must live along West Side Rd? How's the spear fishing in OK Lake? Does it slow down when it gets warmer? I still see tons of huge carp every time I'm at the water.

Amphibious
07-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Spearfishing starts in Wood lake and Skaha in late April, and Okanagan starts early May in the right places. July & August is prime time, and I'll take 200lb+ of carp in an average afternoon swim. This, Sadly, is the end of spearing in Wood, as it's almost suicidal to be swimming around all those drunk Albertards in wake boats. By late September Okanagan seems to slow, and by October it's not worth getting wet.

I Live off westside, some great spearing out here, depending on conditions.

FourOhs
07-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Jebus, what do you do with 200lb+ of carp? Smokehouse? Dog food? Carp jerky? (Carp sashimi?! :shock:)