PDA

View Full Version : Dead Trout

Gr8 white hunter
07-05-2015, 03:59 PM
We were camping at Dewdney Trail Campsite on the Similkameen River and noticed a lot of small dead trout. A couple of the locals also noticed a lot of the fish and mentioned maybe it was the because the river was too warm. On the way home we stopped in Coldstream in Manning Park and noticed a boom across the river, I went to investigate, it was catching paper in the river. There was a clean up crew working in the river and I spoke to one of them who told me a semi-trailer had crashed into the river spilling 10K worth of empty bottles in the river - quite the mess. He also mentioned that diesel had spilled into the river. I am wondering if the diesel spill is causing the fish to die, he was going to report it and do some samples.

Sofa King
07-05-2015, 04:31 PM
the diesel definitely wouldn't "help" the fish.
I don't think the rivers are that warm yet to be killing the resident fish.

ACB
07-05-2015, 04:38 PM
We were camping at Dewdney Trail Campsite on the Similkameen River and noticed a lot of small dead trout. A couple of the locals also noticed a lot of the fish and mentioned maybe it was the because the river was too warm. On the way home we stopped in Coldstream in Manning Park and noticed a boom across the river, I went to investigate, it was catching paper in the river. There was a clean up crew working in the river and I spoke to one of them who told me a semi-trailer had crashed into the river spilling 10K worth of empty bottles in the river - quite the mess. He also mentioned that diesel had spilled into the river. I am wondering if the diesel spill is causing the fish to die, he was going to report it and do some samples.
The Similkameen in that area has enough deep holes that I don't think it would have been the water temp, there's not much O2 in diesel to breathe.

Iron Glove
07-05-2015, 04:56 PM
We just returned from Tulameen and our Son who lives in Princeton and fishes the Similkameen a lot said there were a lot of dead fish too, he didn't know why.
I think that accident in Manning was at least a week or so ago?
Just a bit West of the camp ground ???

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Please report it to the ministry folks in Penticton.

Gr8 white hunter
07-05-2015, 08:19 PM
We just returned from Tulameen and our Son who lives in Princeton and fishes the Similkameen a lot said there were a lot of dead fish too, he didn't know why.
I think that accident in Manning was at least a week or so ago?
Just a bit West of the camp ground ???
Yes it was a week ago and just West of the gate to Coldstream campsite.

tigrr
07-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Could be the diesel fuel or the antifreeze or battery acid. Diesel fuel floats, so does the bugs these fish eat. Gobble a couple of diesel soaked bugs and who knows. What kind of bottles? A few dribbles into a fish tank from a drink with alcohol and most of the fish will be dead in the morning.

Red arch
07-06-2015, 08:19 AM
I would take a guess that what has occured is the fuel or acid not so much getting into the digestive system, but getting into the gills. The substance then damages the gills to the point where the fish suffocate.

A similar thing happens with chlorine, it just burns up the gills of fish and they suffocate.

nano
07-06-2015, 11:06 AM
I found a few dead fish in the skagit this weekend also

Gr8 white hunter
07-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Could be the diesel fuel or the antifreeze or battery acid. Diesel fuel floats, so does the bugs these fish eat. Gobble a couple of diesel soaked bugs and who knows. What kind of bottles? A few dribbles into a fish tank from a drink with alcohol and most of the fish will be dead in the morning. Beer bottles.

elktracker1975
07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
I found a bunch of dead trout and bullheads dead downstream from that campsite as well, called it in to CO this morning.

caddisguy
07-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Hmm. I saw one dead one where I went. Caught a nice rainbow, played it quick and released it. Took a few seconds to recover before it bolted, but a few seconds later, it popped back up. Held it again for about 10 seconds and it bolted again... felt stronger the second time but we stayed and watched for it 10-15 mins to make sure. Quit fishing after that. The water was super low and there were 20 boats out anyway... dang zoo. Will look for deeper / cooler water next trip.

Iron Glove
07-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Similkameen and tribs closed to all fishing July 15 to Sept. 15, just announced.
All rivers and tribs in 8-2 through 8-7 and 8-12 to 8-14 same due to the low water, high temp situation.
There goes my plans for lazy summer days fly fishing the Tulameen behind our cabin. :cry: