PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Pigs in BC (Hogs, not Bears)

interceptor
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
G'Day Lads,

Just wondering about hunting pigs in BC, do you have any over there.

http://www.grizzlyowners.com/memberphotos/grizzly/4921/bowcomp05%20046.jpg

I heard somewhere that you have those big Russian Boars running around?

Cheers Noel

HighCountry
04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
I wish we have some of those boars in b.c that well be nice.

Derp
04-19-2007, 11:51 PM
My Pal and core instructor, the vice president at vancouver gun club in richmond told us that there is wild pigs around in bc. some even in the fraser valley (chilliwack/hope area?) I would definatley look into it, it would be fun hunting the pigs

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2007, 05:57 AM
I would ask Goat Guy, he's always hunting wild pigs at the OK Corral. He told me he has his best luck going after the older, fatter ones because they are slower than the younger, thinner ones. :rolleyes:

mark
04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Ive heard of them as well around harrison lake, and here in kelowna where I live, but ive yet to see one! The CO told me to blast em at will!

3kills
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
i heard years ago they were in the fraser valley but i think they are all gone now....and i have heard north up around fort st john area or something like that...

BearSniper
04-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Intercepter

Never heard reports of any Pigs here. I thought threre were a few in Alberta, but thats as close as they come.

They're not even mentioned in the regs.

daycort
04-20-2007, 07:55 AM
there is two different punch of pigs up here in the north. Buick creek and Goodlow.

bigwhiteys
04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
there is two different punch of pigs up here in the north. Buick creek and Goodlow.

Have you actually "seen" these wild pigs....? I know there are a few private ranches in FSJ area with pigs that will let you shoot them. They are pretty nasty eating though at least the pig I tried was.

Carl

Mr. Dean
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I have seen the odd one up around Houston, Williams Lk - years ago. I assumed that they were escape'ees from a local ranch.

Elkhound
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
have not seen any....wish I did

MichelD
04-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Heard a rumour there were some up the West side of Harrison Lake once, but I have never talked to anyone who has actually seen one.

Chuck
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
There are no pigs in B.C. and if there are they will definitely be illegal imports or escapees from some circus. Furthermore I can't understand by whose authority such critters as Llamas, ostriches, alligators, walleye, perch, and other "exotics" are even permitted to be brought here alive. Those that sneak up here in the night excepted, like skunks and racoons.

Orangethunder
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
G'Day Lads,

Just wondering about hunting pigs in BC, do you have any over there.

http://www.grizzlyowners.com/memberphotos/grizzly/4921/bowcomp05%20046.jpg

I heard somewhere that you have those big Russian Boars running around?

Cheers Noel

I haven't seen any myself but ya never know. Question for you-How hard do you have to pull their ears to get them to open their mouth?

Just kidding, nice boar!

Sieg-MM
04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I would ask Goat Guy, he's always hunting wild pigs at the OK Corral. He told me he has his best luck going after the older, fatter ones because they are slower than the younger, thinner ones. :rolleyes:

Hey GG, did you come across any trophy bores yet at the OKC? Beeker said he scouted a few out. Lock and load boys :lol:

Jagermeister
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
There was a small ranch just south of Hixon that had some contained and a person could poke one for $$$. The pigs found a breach in the fence and escaped. MOE advised the person to round up his hogs or face a large fine. Said rancher enlisted the aid of some archers and put an end to the pig problem. I think they were European boars. One could see them shuffling about form the hightway every now and then.

Gateholio
04-20-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p9fb50895221bbb3818e47794bc732885/f1b1807e.jpg

Elkhound
04-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Question for you-How hard do you have to pull their ears to get them to open their mouth?

Thats a sow......there mouths are always open:wink:

Will
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Obviously we have Wild Boars in BC..........
Stallone Killed one in Hope......remember First Blood :rolleyes:

ape
04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
There have been some spotted in and around the Tumbler Ridge area. There are also some escapees around Mcbride. One big ******* that some are guessing to be 5-600 lbs and he has a few sows as well. One sow was shot last year. He has been spoted a few times but yet to be shot. I am told that he is one bugger too.

Schmaus
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM

I can't believe that I didn't jump on that. I watch Rambo all the time.

SHAKER
04-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I've heard rumors of them in the upper Chilliwack and Harrison years ago................ But since I've got into Hound-dawg'n and chas'n cats in that country I've never cut a piece of sighn belong'n to a hog. I did cut Elk track in the lower Skagit a couple of years ago while look'n for o'l long tail puss! Good thing I had witness's, Some people thought their was a few too many beers consumed look'n for track.

Derp
04-20-2007, 07:52 PM

hahahahhah, so funny

Rambo is f#@cking Sweeet!

One Shot
04-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I hunted and bagged Russian boars in the Peace River Country around Ft St John afew years ago.

daycort
04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
yes i have seen them before lots. especially in the buick creek area. my good buddy was chased by one just last year at goodlow after he stuck it with his bow. in both cases, they escaped from ranches.

300H&H
04-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Ive heard of them as well around harrison lake, and here in kelowna where I live, but ive yet to see one! The CO told me to blast em at will!

Hey Mark, Did the COs say anyone can shoot them ?

Pioneerman
04-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I have heard about the boars for many years in the Chilliwack area is where I was told they originated from. I talked to a c/o 6 or 7 years ago about them, and he told me they are still out there and active, they can be shot, but they vitually never see them, just signs of them and their rootting disturbance. 30 or 40 years ago some people were actually going to start a game farm and boar hunting was going to be part of their operation, and after a few problems things went down the drain and the pigs were set free and went wild.

interceptor
04-22-2007, 06:10 AM
G'day Lads,

Thanks for the feedback, I guess they are a rare chance at best eh.

Cheers Noel