PDA

View Full Version : Selling Sheep Capes

pro 111
07-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Just saw some stone sheep capes for sale on here. My personal opinion is that it should be ilegal to sell your sheep cape. Too many guys just dumping a small ram at the end of the hunt just to pay for the hunt with the cape. My thoughts are no selling of the capes would result in people not being so trigger happy and leaving that young ram to grow another few years.
DEBATE!!!!

BgBlkDg
07-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Totally agree, any capes-horns not wanted should be turned over to BCF&W and then auctioned off with the proceeds going to wild sheep government conservation projects.

Caribou_lou
07-03-2015, 06:53 PM
You can buy a sheep cape for over 30,000$ if you like... My personal opinion, That's all the guides are doing. How many of those hunters take home the meat?

604ksmith
07-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Totally agree, any capes-horns not wanted should be turned over to BCF&W and then auctioned off with the proceeds going to wild sheep government conservation projects.

I'd take it a step further and say there should be no for-profit selling of any animal parts, either by the average hunter or a guide/client relationship.

Like BgBlkDg said, it could fund conservation.

Just as leaving a gut pile in the bush isn't really waste as it will be consumed by other animals, donating any and all parts of animals not wanted by the hunter could help us get closer to a "net-zero" impact on wildlife by funding conservancy of that very species. Wildlife deserves every penny we could earn, some sort of donation program sounds like a good idea to me.

srupp
07-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Hmmm he is a hunter, one of us..2 rams were harvested they were checked and ceased being property of the province and became his property .he has the right to do whatever he wants including sell the capes.someone was looking for a sheep cape just last fall.
Cheers
Steven

Caribou_lou
07-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Just saw some stone sheep capes for sale on here. My personal opinion is that it should be ilegal to sell your sheep cape. Too many guys just dumping a small ram at the end of the hunt just to pay for the hunt with the cape. My thoughts are no selling of the capes would result in people not being so trigger happy and leaving that young ram to grow another few years.
DEBATE!!!!

Also, a small Ram to you could be a trophy to others. Lots of guys never shoot a stone. Legal Ram is a legal Ram. Id harvest a small one on the last day just for the meat!

Sitkaspruce
07-03-2015, 08:00 PM
DEBATE!!!!

If he bought his lic and tag, shot a LEGAL sheep, cancelled his tag, packed out all the meat, cape and horns and brought it all home.

Then turns around and decides he does not want to mount the sheep and instead decides to sell it.......where is the concern??

I hunted sheep for a time and never once decided to shoot a LEGAL sheep to sell the cape....and I don't think for a minute that 99% of sheep hunters are there to hunt sheep to sell the cape.....but I been wrong before....

Cheers

SS

Rob
07-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Dont see a problem with it either, lots of assumptions..

pieter
07-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Myself I would rather have just the horns and skull to put on display as I do not have enough room or money for all the mounts I would like to have in my cave,so the capes are of no use to me

Downwind
07-03-2015, 08:09 PM
I'd take it a step further and say there should be no for-profit selling of any animal parts, either by the average hunter or a guide/client relationship.

Like BgBlkDg said, it could fund conservation.

Just as leaving a gut pile in the bush isn't really waste as it will be consumed by other animals, donating any and all parts of animals not wanted by the hunter could help us get closer to a "net-zero" impact on wildlife by funding conservancy of that very species. Wildlife deserves every penny we could earn, some sort of donation program sounds like a good idea to me.

So you're against trapping then?

ytlogger
07-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Aside from plugging horns, is the sale of big game parts regulated? A special permit perhaps? The occasional sale of a cape is not the same as shooting a sheep, or anything else for that matter, for the purpose of selling parts. That would be like trapping. I once sold a cape that I had saved in the freezer, to a taxidermist who needed one to 'remount' a fairly historic set of ninety year old horns. Not losing any sleep over that. Circumstances arise.

Aside from that, I think that revenues from gov auctions have to end up in general revenues, buying lunch on a trade junket to the orient. Not 100% on that.

zippermouth
07-03-2015, 08:26 PM
to some guys a head mount means nothing, but a sheep hunt could be a once in a lifetime experience. the money from a cape could almost fund the hunt for guys who don't have as deep of pockets as others. I probably would pass on a barely legal ram but wouldn't look down on somebody for taking a sheep to fund the hunt. as long as your packing out all the meat, horns and cape fly at er!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2015, 09:37 PM
I know people that have destroyed capes with bullets, lost capes to hair slippage or needed a cape to mount a legal pick up.
As long as we're not exceeding our AAH I don't see a problem. Maybe some people 'perceive' it as a problem but is it really???
I did sell a life size sheep cape once but did buy a shoulder cape to mount the ram I shot. Wrong???

walks with deer
07-03-2015, 09:37 PM
What's so speacial about sheep oooh.all I See is a lot of gas money and a lot of effort but I have seen tons of them legal and illegal sized.
For the most part the one I have seen have been realy easy to stalk and seemed ******ed been 6 yards from multiple stones and 10 yards from lots of big horns.
Never thought of selling the Cape.
Thank I could use a new quad.

Sincerely

Will go sheep hunting this year.

walks with deer
07-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Now how do I edit my name to will go sheep hunting this year.

Brew
07-03-2015, 09:49 PM
This thread just made me think a bit. Isn't it illegal to sell your wild game meat? So why would it be legal to sell the Cape? Maybe I'm wrong but seems a little crazy.

ytlogger
07-03-2015, 10:05 PM
This thread just made me think a bit. Isn't it illegal to sell your wild game meat? So why would it be legal to sell the Cape? Maybe I'm wrong but seems a little crazy.

hmmm... not required to salvage the cape either...

walks with deer
07-03-2015, 10:16 PM
The more I think about it I think my wife needs a sheep hunt under her belt too.

pin_head
07-03-2015, 10:31 PM
The more I think about it I think my wife needs a sheep hunt under her belt too.

Put down the bottle and go to bed.

Brad

Rackmastr
07-04-2015, 07:48 AM
I've personally had a mule deer and an antelope of my own get wrecked and have to replace those capes. If I lost a shep cape or had damage or slip that wasn't repairable I'd have to buy one. Thankfully it's legal to buy and sell capes.

As SSS pointed out, if we aren't hitting our AAH then I don't see the concern. Some guys don't want taxidermy in their house and others just enjoy the hunt and don't want a shoulder mount or use the money to pay for their hunting and adventures. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things and enjoy things differently.

I don't think a hunter needs to mount an animal as a requirement of being an "ethical" hunter, does he??

40incher
07-04-2015, 10:55 AM
The guides have been pushing this crap for years. They are selling dead animals for huge sums yet want to control everything resident hunters do. We personally have all the rams mounted that we want, yet still like sheep hunting and especially the meat.

No one is going to tell me what to do with my hides, horns or antlers. It's all about the meat at this point.

Gateholio
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
DEBATE!!!!

How do you feel about selling moose antlers or bear rugs?

argyle1
07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Some people hunt for the trophy. To others the experience is the most important part of the hunt and they are happy with that and some photos. Why should someone who wants the trophy think that they are somehow superior to those who only crave the experience? If it's a legal critter, whether moose, deer, grizzly, or sheep, and I want to sell it to fund my next wilderness experience, or because I just don't have room for it, why should someone else have the right to tell me I can't?

.264winmag
07-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Who cares, it's just hair? I know if I was ever lucky enough to harvest a 40" and lost the cape or why I'd like the option to buy one. And as tough as it is to pack one out the mountains I see no problem selling one. Euro mounts are great too. A legal animal is just that, guys on here saying they shouldn't be harvested cause they ain't big enough? Well let's just say I have no time for you. I'm proud of my two squeakers on the wall, still some of the greatest memories I'll ever have. But I also come from a meat hunting family. Can't eat the horns...

proguide66
07-04-2015, 04:24 PM
The ONLY problem going on is some humans trying to impose on others what 'THEY' feel is the correct way to carry themselves through life. THATS IT and that is a major problem with society today. Leave a cape, sell it , rub it on your nuts and toss it..... WHO CARES..... someone shoots a 'dink' LEGAL ram ? who gives a FACK. Mind your own lifetime...... ( words to ANYONE who tries to impose their life's choices on others) .
I ran into a seasoned guy last fall up north and he says to me " what pisses me of is these guys that go out and shoot a weak 36" ram every fall just to shoot a ram"....... I'm standing there biting my lip but REALLY wanting to say " so, um, you kinda like walking up to strangers to tell em out loud that you are a douche bag'?

Gime a break........ there is too many people who chased a ram or two and carry themselves on top of some invisible ladder they apparently climbed to look down on others. OOOOHHH...ya shot a ram or three?? now ya thunk you can dictate that everyone else should hunt like YOU?? make choices YOU think all others should make to ??

barf...... I got me a cape sitting at Kenny's place right now actually ... not sure what the eff I'm going to do with it.... maybe I should sell it ?? anyone need one? LMAO....

the sooner ALL people choose their own trail, stick to it and admire everyone els's trail choice with no 'judging' the sooner the bullshit ends.......

Fella
07-04-2015, 04:28 PM
The ONLY problem going on is some humans trying to impose on others what 'THEY' feel is the correct way to carry themselves through life. THATS IT and that is a major problem with society today. Leave a cape, sell it , rub it on your nuts and toss it..... WHO CARES..... someone shoots a 'dink' LEGAL ram ? who gives a FACK. Mind your own lifetime...... ( words to ANYONE who tries to impose their life's choices on others) .
I ran into a seasoned guy last fall up north and he says to me " what pisses me of is these guys that go out and shoot a weak 36" ram every fall just to shoot a ram"....... I'm standing there biting my lip but REALLY wanting to say " so, um, you kinda like walking up to strangers to tell em out loud that you are a douche bag'?

Gime a break........ there is too many people who chased a ram or two and carry themselves on top of some invisible ladder they apparently climbed to look down on others. OOOOHHH...ya shot a ram or three?? now ya thunk you can dictate that everyone else should hunt like YOU?? make choices YOU think all others should make to ??

barf...... I got me a cape sitting at Kenny's place right now actually ... not sure what the eff I'm going to do with it.... maybe I should sell it ?? anyone need one? LMAO....

the sooner ALL people choose their own trail, stick to it and admire everyone els's trail choice with no 'judging' the sooner the bullshit ends.......

You said it! And you know what would really stick it to em? If you gave it away for free!

.264winmag
07-04-2015, 05:40 PM
10-4 pro guide...Dink Rams are delicious:) Someone wants a Toad, fine, go home empty handed for however long and buy beef. Love my a doe or spike buck too!

BCbillies
07-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Mounted some . . . and sold some! Dumped a big ram on the opener two years ago and he was only getting mounted if he was bigger than the previous. The horns were too beautiful to pass up and he has made a fine Euro mount and the meat is only served for special occasions/guests. Always a tough decision on mount or not to mount but no regrets to date. The family has an expectation that Dad will provide the best quality organic free range meat available.

Boner
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Pictures go a long ways too. I like looking at pictures of people's hunts and hearing the story. Whether or not they keep the rack and/or hide.

Sometimes pictures are all we can keep in the house! Ask my wife about my bear rug she tossed in the trash when I was out of town.

BCbillies
07-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Pictures go a long ways too. I like looking at pictures of people's hunts and hearing the story. Whether or not they keep the rack and/or hide.

Sometimes pictures are all we can keep in the house! Ask my wife about my bear rug she tossed in the trash when I was out of town.

OUCH!!!! You looooose it . . . snap . . . on MRS. CHAMP?

walks with deer
07-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Hey brad.... I was not kidding if someone will give me 10k for a inbred sheep hide I will take it.
I sold some whitetail antlers last week for 3 years liscense and tag fee....
Does that make me a bad guy.
Maybe brad should try the bottle the world would be clearer.

walks with deer
07-05-2015, 01:26 AM
Ps brad I see your from mission.
I was born and raised there. How do you like all the bc housing initives every one else realized it's time to leave.

Sincerely dink ram cape hunter.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Bang on, Steve!! Well said.

BgBlkDg
07-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Well, there are points to be made on both sides of this and similar issues concerning private sale(s) of wildlife and the products from them.

If, we allow sale of, for example, sheep capes, why not bears paws, galls and meat from ones kills?

As to individuals making their concerns about such issues public and thereby influencing government policies and private standards of sportsmanship and conservation issues, why, the nerve, eh! We should just be silent and allow any actions that anyone chooses....much like the "frontier era", you know, the time when most of North Americas wildlife was wiped out......

I think that a controlled market, administered by the F&W, with royalties, might provide more crucial funds for conservation, but, WTF I know.

Ambush
07-05-2015, 07:27 AM
For the most part the one I have seen have been realy easy to stalk and seemed ******ed been 6 yards from multiple stones and 10 yards from lots of big horns.
Never thought of selling the Cape.

You could make way more money selling maps than capes.

That is assuming that you are not counting lambs, you know what big horns look like and you can judge yardage. ;-)

brian
07-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Isn't it illegal to sell your wild game meat? So why would it be legal to sell the Cape?

Laws around selling game meat are about health regulations. Butchering animals for sale is highly regulated industry but a hunter thankfully does not need to jump through all these inane hoops to feed themselves. Its a bit like raw milk is okay for dairy farmers to drink but the general public has to be protected from this evil menace.

I agree %100 with proguide66. Supposedly we live in a free country, yet every time you turn around someone is saying there oughta be a law about everything. At what point do we admit it ain't a free country? As for government profiting off of our hunts (for conservation that's the ticket, conservation)... I trust putting money into government coffers like I trust putting my money in a coffee can by the side of the road.

GoatGuy
07-05-2015, 07:52 AM
DEBATE!!!!

Illegal to sell sheep capes, but legal to sell sheep?

Interesting approach..................

GoatGuy
07-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Here's what it was originally and is supposed to be all about.

Most of our 'successes' associated with wildlife conservation can be attributed to this Model:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/conservation/conservation_NAM.asp?area=conservation

It seems we marginalize this model more and more by the year and oddly enough we also see wildlife populations in decline and the slow privatization of our wildlife.

kootenayslam
07-05-2015, 08:18 AM
I don't think sheep capes should be sold, like it's been said they should be donated for conservation efforts if you are not going to mount the ram. my 2C.

BCbillies
07-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Illegal to sell sheep capes, but legal to sell sheep?

Interesting approach..................

A resident hunter sells the cape for a couple grand and desires the meat while a foreigner sells the sheep to another foreigner for $40,000 and leaves the meat!

Don't think that a foreigner who has shelled out $40,000 for a sheep, $20,000 for a grizz and $10,000 for a goat isn't going to dump a lesser animal by the end of a hunt. If this is their one and only opportunity for such a hunt they will want to cut the tag.

ACB
07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Myself I would rather have just the horns and skull to put on display as I do not have enough room or money for all the mounts I would like to have in my cave,so the capes are of no use to me
So if you are not going to use the cape why take it off the mountain and do all the work of fleshing, salting and not to mention the extra weight of packing it off the mountain. Oh ya! If I sell it, it would take a lot of the sting of the price of the flight in and gas to get there.

argyle1
07-05-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't think sheep capes should be sold, like it's been said they should be donated for conservation efforts if you are not going to mount the ram. my 2C.--and then the gov't can sell it??? - so then can whoever buys it resell it, or do they have to donate it back to the gov't, or does it go to the gov't when they die. B.S.--you donate yours if you want and don't be trying to tell me what to do with mine.

kootenayslam
07-05-2015, 06:00 PM
--and then the gov't can sell it??? - so then can whoever buys it resell it, or do they have to donate it back to the gov't, or does it go to the gov't when they die. B.S.--you donate yours if you want and don't be trying to tell me what to do with mine.

I don't really care if you do but i'm not going to show you any respect for doing it. Give it to a fellow hunter who needs one, that would be a true sportsman.

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Was his name Willy? :mrgreen: