PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting 2015

Shikari300WSM
07-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Hey guys

This is my first post so a brief intro is in order.

My name is Sardara, Sid for short (honestly, with how many times people mispronounced my name, I go by just about anything)...

I got back into the game of the great outdoors after a few years now. Started with some great salmon fishing (had an awesome 2014 season in case anyone was wondering lol). And in October, went to Princeton for the first deer hunt in years and got my self a nice meat buck, small 2 pointer, not a trophy hunt by any means.

Now for this coming season, I am wanting to go for a legendary elk. I know that elk seem to be a hush hush topic on most forums that I have read, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did some scouting last month in the south-east Cranbrook area and some up in the Kimberley area. Saw a few spike bulls, a couple of 4s and a few dozen cows.

I don't expect to come out with a trophy by any means, or an elk at all for that matter lol. but a chance at one of these animals would be awesome

Not looking for honey holes or anything fancy, just some opinions of where you think I should go. Google earth has been a best friend. But hearing from experienced guys would be great too. South east of Cranbrook seemed good, but I've heard areas around yahk and baynes lake are good too.

Too many places, only 2 months left. I've got another scouting trip planned for next weekend.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all, I'm lookin forward to being apart of this community.

Husky7mm
07-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Elk north, south, east and wesr of cranbrook, true story. Fill up your tank , grab your boots and get scouting... Elk in princeton too btw

J_T
07-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I'd suggest doing some searching and reading on here. There has been a lot of dialogue and conversation about the topic. For every aspect to the topic of elk hunting there are always differences of opinion, whether it's style of hunt, where elk are, hiking vs quads, high country vs low, how to call, how frequently......

Decide how you want to approach your hunt (bow, rifle, front country, back country) and when you want to hunt, and keep that in mind as you read through any previous threads. Husky is right, in general, there are elk everywhere. But you do have to find them. So what do you need to look for?

Shikari300WSM
07-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Hey Husky, appreciate your response. Where I shot the buck in Princeton, there was some old elk sign, probably 2 weeks old. It's crossed my mind but knowing how tough a region 8 elk is I thought the koots would be a safer bet.

Yeah JT I've been combing the threads. A lot of useful info to say the least! I'm planning on going for bow season as I just finished buying a new crossbow. I'm thinking about heading out there for the 30th of August to spend a couple days finding a bull before opening day. Thinking of doing some driving but mainly hiking in. Cuts on South facing slopes, look for wallows, rubs, trails etc. Hopefully something turns up! Thanks for the response buddy

J_T
07-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Sid. Arriving on the 30th doesnt leave you a ton of time for recon. But thats fine. If you have an idea of a spot for the 1st then focus on that. Once you are hunting you can drive and hike until you find fresh sign. Mid day is a good time to locate elk. In my experience dont pressure them mid day. Determine a plan and develop a set up for dark or back out and glass and listen and develop a plan for morning.

If you are hiking you can move quick. You dont have to be super quiet. Helps to have a quiet cow call in you pocket when your moving like this.

Always, pay attention to the wind.

goinghunting
07-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Hey Husky, appreciate your response. Where I shot the buck in Princeton, there was some old elk sign, probably 2 weeks old. It's crossed my mind but knowing how tough a region 8 elk is I thought the koots would be a safer bet.

Yeah JT I've been combing the threads. A lot of useful info to say the least! I'm planning on going for bow season as I just finished buying a new crossbow. I'm thinking about heading out there for the 30th of August to spend a couple days finding a bull before opening day. Thinking of doing some driving but mainly hiking in. Cuts on South facing slopes, look for wallows, rubs, trails etc. Hopefully something turns up! Thanks for the response buddy

Dont overlook princeton area for elk dont fall for all the region 8 guys saying theres no elk. If its closer and your able to spend more time figuring it out it will probably work out in your favour. Good luck and have fun!

hunter1947
07-07-2015, 04:58 PM
One thing that I do know is the big boys are up hi right now go hi and you will find..

hunter1947
07-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Dont overlook princeton area for elk dont fall for all the region 8 guys saying theres no elk. If its closer and your able to spend more time figuring it out it will probably work out in your favour. Good luck and have fun!

X2 Copper Mt carries a few elk ;)..

Shikari300WSM
07-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Appreciate the responses gents. Yeah you're right husky I will probably head in there maybe 3 days before opener, but I do have a few spots in mind to check out and focus on. I appreciate the tips buddy!

In regards to region 8, the fact that even in bow season it's 6pt or better would be tougher then any bull in the koots (not that any elk hunting is easy per say). However as H47 said maybe ill check out copper mountain, see if any big boys are hanging around up high.

bigneily
07-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Unless things have changed , The Koots is not any bull either .

bigneily
07-12-2015, 09:03 AM
My bad sorry , Didn't see the bow hunting part ...lol... Yup any bull.

Shortmag300
07-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Any bull for archery season then on the 10th it changes to 6pt bull.