PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Moose App to help manage populations

Rob Chipman
07-02-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't think this has been posted by anyone else yet, but I found it interesting.

http://goldstreampublishinginc.cmail1.com/t/ViewEmail/y/BD903586F82FBD9C/3FA23BA03295A39DFE6194DE962A274B

Angler's Atlas has a ton of online lake maps, etc. They're developing an app to use hunters and anglers to collect some moose info in order to help manage populations. I guess there could be a downside, but I don't see an obvious one. It looks like a sort of crowd sourced information gathering program. I signed up. Take a look and perhaps it might fit some of you. Apparently Spruce City Wildlife Assoc. and Vanderhoof Fish and Game are on board as well.

Moose63
07-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Not sure this is going to help the dwindling moose population.....

Rob Chipman
07-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Won't make more moose, that's for sure, but it might get more raw data. I'm no expert, but it seems like our buddies in the lower 48 and Alaska have a lot more intel on their wildlife - they also have a lot more money to spend on collection. Something like this might help us as the labor of collecting the info is free, as in, volunteered.

The Dawg
07-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Not sure this is going to help the dwindling moose population.....

Curious how you got to this conclusion?

I think the more info the bios get from sightings, predation, appearance of health, the better.

How does it not benefit them?

walks with deer
07-05-2015, 01:43 AM
That's stupid....
I will not submit high unregulated harvest 30 sightings here.
Horrible if I could hac that and disconnect I would

walks with deer
07-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Disgusting

Sofa King
07-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Curious how you got to this conclusion?

I think the more info the bios get from sightings, predation, appearance of health, the better.

How does it not benefit them?
maybe because hunters could also view it to determine where they should go moose hunting.
tighter seasons for ALL(no skin colour exemptions), predator control plan, etc, are things that can help the moose pops.
but the habitat is dwindling more and more every year and nothing can fix that.
facts are that hunting will never be what it once was.

Jrax
07-05-2015, 12:13 PM
I would be on board if general public cannot view the data. If its for sole use of biologist and fish and wildlife mgmt. personnel it could have potential.

The Dawg
07-05-2015, 03:38 PM
I would be on board if general public cannot view the data. If its for sole use of biologist and fish and wildlife mgmt. personnel it could have potential.

The public cannot view sighting data as far as I know.

burger
07-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Disgusting

What is? Your vocabulary skills?

If you have not been to look at the link nor have you found out if it is public info in regards to sightings then your not part of any solution but rather an addition to the problems. Rob Chipman is right. We may have an opportunity to assist in Data collection which would and should have positive effects on the bio's decision making.

one-shot-wonder
07-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I am all for aiding the biologist manage our wildlife, whatever it takes. I have been corresponding with them on how our club can get on board. Looking forward to a launch this fall.

luckofthedraw
07-05-2015, 07:29 PM
I am curious about this as well. I would like to assist with the moose sightings I have, but it would be disappointing if the public was able to locate their moose this way.

Cordillera
07-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Alberta has been doing something similar for a few years and it is useful data. The concept of "Citizen science" is sound if hunters get on board.