PDA

View Full Version : Rolling plateau alpine ?

bowmagnum
07-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Hey,

i was was out scouting a few days ago in some rolling plateau alpine and low and behold I spotted a Doe way up in the windy rocks at the top. My question is will bucks use this area too or will they tend to stick to the steep and narly stuff. I plan on doing an overnighter soon to see if any bucks are moving around.
Does anyone on here ever focus their high country efforts on this type of rolling terrain. There is no roads in however cows are free range grazing in the area .

cheers

boxhitch
07-02-2015, 10:36 PM
If its good for a doe its good for a buck

604redneck
07-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Yes bucks will be there

M.Dean
07-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Some guys think the big bucks live at the top of steep mnt's and only come out for the rut, there wrong. If you have any alpha fields around where you live, take a walk around there just before dark, you'll see some huge bucks feeding beside the does, yes there way more cautious than the does and they might come out just after dark, but believe me, there in that area. Yes, there's decent sized bucks that live way and hell up in the mnt's, but by far all of them. Bucks feed where the food is best, and ranchers alpha fields are at the top of the list. Let us know how you make out.

bowmagnum
07-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Hey I don't have access to any ranchers fields and I like looking for them at the top
of the mountains but I hear what your saying M.Dean. I got
out for an overnight trip. Took my 8 year old with me so it was a lot of fun. We saw one doe on the way up. Walking along a creek in the subalpine she couldn't hear us coming and we got real close. Didn't see any deer on the alpine this time but it was hot and extremely buggy. It's definitely a spot I will continue to check in on. Saw lots of tracks in the mud in the subalpine too. I think a lot of deer will just stay in the trees and never need to expose themselves in the open cause there's lots of food in the timber.