PDA

View Full Version : Provincial Parks - Parking Rules

Sylus
07-01-2015, 09:18 AM
I am doing some planning for a hike in hunt off a highway and I am running into a bit of an issue of where I can park my vehicle safely for 10ish days. There is a provincial park parking lot close enough to where I want to hunt that I could feasible use it as my starting off point but I don't want to come out of the bush to find that my rig has been towed.

So here is my question: How long can I park in a provincial park without penalty? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to disable the vehicle before I leave (pull the fuel pump fuse)?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Sylus

And Happy Canada Day!! :grin:

caddisguy
07-01-2015, 09:25 AM
I am doing some planning for a hike in hunt off a highway and I am running into a bit of an issue of where I can park my vehicle safely for 10ish days. There is a provincial park parking lot close enough to where I want to hunt that I could feasible use it as my starting off point but I don't want to come out of the bush to find that my rig has been towed.

So here is my question: How long can I park in a provincial park without penalty? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to disable the vehicle before I leave (pull the fuel pump fuse)?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Sylus

And Happy Canada Day!! :grin:

Reading section 23 of the Park's Act, I think you might be ok as long as it's a designated parking area, but double check to be sure:

http://bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/180_90_01

Also if I'm reading this correctly, one is technically not allowed to park on the side of a road in a provincial park. That I did not know. There are a number of historic hiking trails in one of the parks that I frequent which do not actually have any parking near by.... yet the Discover BC website lists said trails as attractions. Entrapment?! lol ... maybe the "travelled portion" term gives some wiggle room.

Anyway this also looks worded as though it can depend on any signs that might be posted too
Illegal parking and tow away

23 (1) Except as authorized by a park officer, a person must not

(a) stop or park a vehicle on the travelled portion of a park road, or

(b) stop or park a vehicle in such a manner as to

(i) impede the proper use of a park road,
(ii) damage vegetation,
(iii) restrict or inhibit recreational use of the park, conservancy or recreation area, or

(iv) park a vehicle in the frontcountry without payment of the vehicle parking fee required by regulation.

(2) A person must not, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. the following day, stop or park a vehicle in a campground, day use area or parking area of a park, conservancy or recreation area except

(a) at a campsite where that person is the member of a registered party, group or youth group,

(b) in a parking area as permitted by a sign or other device, or

(c) as authorized by a park officer.

(3) If a vehicle is stopped or parked in contravention of subsection (1) or (2), a park officer may remove the vehicle to a place of impoundment and any costs incurred by that removal are a debt of the owner of the vehicle payable to the party that removed and impounded the vehicle, which debt must be paid before removal of the vehicle from the place of impoundment.

(4) A park officer removing a vehicle under subsection (3) must exercise reasonable care to avoid damage to the vehicle involved, but neither the Province nor any park officer is liable or accountable to the owner for damage to the vehicle being removed arising from that removal.

[am. B.C. Regs. 25/2003, s. 1; 215/2006, Sch. s. 8; 141/2009, ss. 1 (a), (c), (d) and (e) and 3.]

Sofa King
07-01-2015, 09:28 AM
hard to say.
these days it seems if someone hasnt returned in mere hours, they want to coordinate a search party and consider them missing.
at the same time, i wouldnt want to leave a note that announces your vehicle will be unattended though either.
maybe contact the parks and run that by them.

caddisguy
07-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Happy Canada Day by the way :)

Sylus
07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Reading section 23 of the Park's Act, I think you might be ok as long as it's a designated parking area, but double check to be sure:

http://bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/180_90_01

Also if I'm reading this correctly, one is technically not allowed to park on the side of a road in a provincial park. That I did not know. There are a number of historic hiking trails in one of the parks that I frequent which do not actually have any parking near by.... yet the Discover BC website lists said trails as attractions. Entrapment?! lol ... maybe the "travelled portion" term gives some wiggle room.

Anyway this also looks worded as though it can depend on any signs that might be posted too
Illegal parking and tow away

23 (1) Except as authorized by a park officer, a person must not

(a) stop or park a vehicle on the travelled portion of a park road, or

(b) stop or park a vehicle in such a manner as to

(i) impede the proper use of a park road,
(ii) damage vegetation,
(iii) restrict or inhibit recreational use of the park, conservancy or recreation area, or

(iv) park a vehicle in the frontcountry without payment of the vehicle parking fee required by regulation.

(2) A person must not, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. the following day, stop or park a vehicle in a campground, day use area or parking area of a park, conservancy or recreation area except

(a) at a campsite where that person is the member of a registered party, group or youth group,

(b) in a parking area as permitted by a sign or other device, or

(c) as authorized by a park officer.

(3) If a vehicle is stopped or parked in contravention of subsection (1) or (2), a park officer may remove the vehicle to a place of impoundment and any costs incurred by that removal are a debt of the owner of the vehicle payable to the party that removed and impounded the vehicle, which debt must be paid before removal of the vehicle from the place of impoundment.

(4) A park officer removing a vehicle under subsection (3) must exercise reasonable care to avoid damage to the vehicle involved, but neither the Province nor any park officer is liable or accountable to the owner for damage to the vehicle being removed arising from that removal.

[am. B.C. Regs. 25/2003, s. 1; 215/2006, Sch. s. 8; 141/2009, ss. 1 (a), (c), (d) and (e) and 3.]

Right on, thanks for finding that. I am gonna bookmark that page for future reference.

Sylus
07-01-2015, 09:36 AM
maybe contact the parks and run that by them.

Yeah definitely, it never hurts to double check.