PDA

View Full Version : Turkey!!!

happygilmore
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, TracknTrail and I just got back from our first turkey hunt, no trophies but good eatin jakes.

Mini Moose
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Congrats. Nicely done. Any Story to go with the picks?

mark
04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Good work guys, good to see im not the only turkey slayer on this site this year! Lots of gravy and cran sauce as theyre a little on the dry side!!!

happygilmore
04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I had the whole story written out and somehow lost it. But here goes;
Our first morning out we drove around stopping to call and try to locate them every once and a while. We came upon a cut block and started calling, we could hear some ravens making alot of racket on the other side of the ridge and we thought we could hear gobbling amongst the racket. TracknTrail and I made our way to the top of a ridge about 3/4 way through the cut and we could definetly hear what sounded like a half dozen turkeys just inside the treeline below us, so we set up behind some saplings and started to call. For about 15min the turkeys seemed to be running around in circles gobbling at the ravens, "TnT" and I were contemplating a stalk when the ravens fell silent, we started calling again aand the two gobblers began to make their way twards us, struting thew whole way across the cut below us. I video taped them comming over and answering us with my digital camera but decided to put it down and pick up my Moss. 935, I slid over and took up position just over TnT's right shoulder using him to conseal my movement. The gobblers were moving directly below us at about 40yds we counted down 3...2...1..BooM:twisted: they both drop it was perfect. We thought we were kings, our first turkey hunt, the first morning, we couldn't wait to get back to camp and start ribbing the oldtimers about how great turkey hunters we were... until the Gammie showed up checked our birds and informed us they were not the King Gobblers we thought but mere Jakes. To add to our humbleizing experience TnT's dad had shot a Gobblers w. a 9" beard our two stiched together barely made that, but we didn't care it was a blast. We will definetly be back for more next year.

308BAR
04-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Great turkey guys thanks for sharing the story. Hmmmmm getting hunger for turykey.

NEEHAMA
04-19-2007, 03:40 PM
turkey's rule!

Phil
04-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Well done! I got to give it a try!

bsa30-06
04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Good job guys, a couple nice birds.I'm going to have to try turkey hunting.

mark
04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Happ g, ive been noticing the young jakes seem to travel together, the mature males are generally solo. Ive bagged 9 inchers 2 years in a row now, but hear that big birds get up to 12 inch beards and even double beards! Nice story man.

beeker
04-19-2007, 11:24 PM
what area of the province were you hunting?

happygilmore
04-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Cranbrook area. beautiful country we couldn't go 30sec. without seeing deer, elk, turkey's.

Rackmastr
04-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm counting the days...how is the gobbling going out there? Heading out on Wednesday for a trip near Cranbrook country...well north of there...