PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region Hunting and Fishing questions?

chromehunter
06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
hello everyone. I have just recently moved to dawson creek for work and was wondering about the hunting and fishing around here? I am an experianced hunter and would like to get out scouting but not to sure where to start my search, as it is mostly private land around dawson. I was thinking about trying past chetwynd in the pine pass or hudsons hope? can anyone point me in any direction to some crown land?

Also, what is the fishing like? Pine River? Halfway? have tried the peace with no luck!!
Thanks everyone

Bear Chaser
06-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Lots of crown land south towards Tumbler and beyond.

Mtn Wonderer
06-22-2015, 10:18 PM
fish Dinasuar Lake and Williston lake I have buddy up that way an they slay the laker on Williston!! There is some good pike fishing on the backwaters of the Peace
Between the Alberta border and the Halfway..

chromehunter
06-22-2015, 10:24 PM
thanks! ive growm up fishing lakers my whole life and want to get after them up here, need to bring my boat up

Kopper
06-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Lots of industry roads give access to the bush south of town. The moose numbers are down compared to previous years but you can certainly bag a bull if you put in the time and find the right hole. Practice your bugling as the elk are in the bush in the early season before they move to farmland later on. The deer are definitly more restricted to private land. Doesn't hurt knocking on doors but a lot of the old timers don't let randoms hunt their land so good luck!
Swan Lake has decent pike fishing and the walleye are starting to recover. Some local trout lakes, I believe boot had winter kill few years back. Go south for the bulls and grayling in the wapati and Murray systems, beautiful country down there too!

BRvalley
06-23-2015, 09:26 AM
lived up there for 3 years, had difficulty gaining permission to hunt farmland myself, helps to know some locals, but lots of quality animals to me found on crown land either way...a few of my honey holes I simply looked for crown land next to farm fields, lots of it

for determining access, you can use the front counter online maps and filter the layers....or buy the mcelhaney mapbook from corlanes, 125$ and covers the region, 2012 surveys.....good thing to keep in the truck while scouting