PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Ranger 1000

gmachine19
06-19-2015, 10:00 PM
So I'm looking to buy my first range finder and I'm quite intrigued with the Vortex Ranger 1000. Anyone here has any experience with this rangefinder?

I'm gonna be crossbow hunting and rifle hunting at the same time so if you have any suggestions on what range finder to use, feel free to post them.

Thanks!

TThomsen
06-19-2015, 10:24 PM
One of my hunting partners has this range finder, I've used it a handful of times and I would say it's definitely worth lookin at , I myself use the leupold rx-1000 with DNA and have never had any issues with it whatsoever and would recommend it 100%. I believe the vortex has the same options as for angles etc as the Leupold, I would recommend taking a look at the two of them and don't think you could go wrong with either.

REMINGTON JIM
06-19-2015, 10:56 PM
I have one and i am very Happy with it for the price :smile: RJ

Kevin So
06-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Have one now for last couple of years. Works well out to about 750 yards, further than that I have only been able to get reflective objects up to 900 something.

Downwind
06-20-2015, 06:52 AM
I have it and it works great. Also it falls under the Vortex lifetime unconditional warranty. No other rangefinder offers that. No matter what way you lean make sure you get one with a red readout not black. You won't see the readout at all at first light or last light.

gmachine19
06-20-2015, 07:34 AM
I have it and it works great. Also it falls under the Vortex lifetime unconditional warranty. No other rangefinder offers that. No matter what way you lean make sure you get one with a red readout not black. You won't see the readout at all at first light or last light.

Thanks all. Especially this! A small tip that I would've never thought about.

Shooter
06-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Double check that warranty. Almost positive it only covers the optics and not the electronics on the rangefinders

Edge
06-22-2015, 07:10 AM

I beg to differ on the warranty . This is the one I have http://www.scorpionoptics.com/laser-rangefinders-c-8/1000-yard-laser-ac-rangefinder-p-36.html
I got mine through this guy...he's my cousin and has used this range finder for some time http://www.philsarcheryshop.ca/ I've had it for a few months and it seems to work just fine...evening light seems to be fine as well as in the trees litght...

my $.02

Shooter
06-22-2015, 10:19 AM
I have also heard lots of cases of them having inconsistent readings. Off by a couple to a few yards isn't very important with a rifle but if you want it for bow hunting its extremely important to get a consistently correct reading.

Downwind
06-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Double check that warranty. Almost positive it only covers the optics and not the electronics on the rangefinders

I beg to differ on the warranty . This is the one I have http://www.scorpionoptics.com/laser-rangefinders-c-8/1000-yard-laser-ac-rangefinder-p-36.html
I got mine through this guy...he's my cousin and has used this range finder for some time http://www.philsarcheryshop.ca/ I've had it for a few months and it seems to work just fine...evening light seems to be fine as well as in the trees litght...

my $.02

I'm sure it covers everything including the electronics. Haven't had to use it but contacted them before I bought it to confirm and was told it does.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

GrouseRiver
06-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Hi, wanted to chime in with a quick reply confirming that this unit is indeed covered by the Vortex VIP Warranty, which is a huge deal, considering that we are dealing with electronic components as well.

As far as ranging capability goes, the Ranger 1000 is accurate for ranging deer size targets at 500 yards and larger reflective objects out to 1000 (which has been stated previously). The ability to switch between a standard mode, as well as an angle compensation reading is a nice option as well, especially if you are switching between rifle and crossbow applications (which the original poster mentioned), though this is by no means the only rangefinder in this price point which offers this option. I've been looking at one of these units for myself, as they really represent excellent value for the money, especially considering the warranty.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to give me a call 1-877-547-6873.

Lindsay Schmidt - Online Sales Supervisor

gmachine19
06-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks all! Needless to say, I'm confused again. just saw the Bushnell G-Force 1300 ARC too make it more confusing! Can't decide what to get now.

todbartell
06-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I picked up a Ranger 1000 a couple years ago when they first came out. It works well for 90% of needs. Ive had a solid track record of making rangefinders fail, so when Vortex announced it was covered with the lifetime warranty I scooped one. I like that it will never be a paper weight for me, unlike the Leica & Leupold LRF's I have owned prior. Downside to this model is it doesn't range great past 500 yards, but it's compact and for general hunting duty works very well.

Bear Brawler
06-23-2015, 12:39 AM
I have had mine for 2 years, love it.

Bear Brawler
06-23-2015, 12:40 AM
The Bushnell G force has crappy LED display, fuzzy, not very clear. I looked at one and wasn't impressed.

StoneChaser
06-23-2015, 07:14 AM
After sending my first two Vortex Rangers back I sold the third one new in the wrap when it returned from warranty. It wouldn't cut it for rifle hunting as I couldn't consistently range deer past 300 yards (occasionally could if conditions were right).

For archery it was a complete fail. Both gave inconsistent readings, but worst of all would not range through a screen of brush or even light grass. Stalking up close and having to be completely above a few sprigs of grass or twigs was a problem (a real pain on an Montana archery pronghorn hunt).

Long story short I sold it and bought a Leica CRF 1000r .... Far superior in every way. I've owned Leicas for over 10 years and never had a single issue.