PDA

View Full Version : Haida Gwaii vacation

leftfield
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi guys, my parents (mom 76, dad 79) want to take a trip to Haida Gwaii in early July. No hunting or fishing just site seeing. They plan to fly and then I would guess rent a car and do some sight seeing. Anybody done this or could make any suggestions to make this trip a success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hunterguy
06-18-2015, 05:14 PM
If they were flying to Masset look into the Alaska View lodge through the the Langara Lodges, sightseeing tour the island, than down to Queen Charlotte city and than to Sandspit for the flight home through the South Airport through Pacific. Or reverse the trip starting in Sandspit and ending their trip at Alaska View Lodge.

ECWC
06-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Another good way to do it is look for a place in Tlell as it is fairly central then branch out from there. Grandpa's Guest house is pretty cool. http://www.vrbo.com/407612

Big Lew
06-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Depends on how mobile they are, and just what they're interested in.
There are a couple of car rentals in Sandspit, so it's easy to start from
there and just poke along checking out the various little communities,
beaches, and a bonus for taking your time is the wildlife you may encounter.
There are a lot of very good artists displaying their crafts all along the
Island. They should either gather this type of information 'on line' or from
the brochures available before heading out because some wonderful places
aren't that obvious and are easy to miss. The same goes for Native art and
history. I've been there more than once, including riding a bicycle from end
to end, and even with that, I would like to go again....very interesting place.

Mike_R
06-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Air Canada Jazz flies between Sandspit and Vancouver, Pacific Coastal flies between Masset and Vancouver South Terminal. Some times the fishing lodges on Haida Gwaii have extra room on their charter flights that one can book seats on. Budget rents cars at Sandspit Airport there is also a bus from the Sandspit Airport to the Village of Queen Charlotte (Eagle transit) reservations for the bus are recommended. Budget frowns on their vehicles being used off the paved roads and this is somewhat limiting so you may want to check out Island Autos in QC or Rustic Rentals in Masset.

Check out this web site: http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca.