PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for a Salt Lick

BC_Buck
06-17-2015, 07:10 PM
I have two places in my hunting area where I have been thinking about putting in a salt lick. Once area is near a water source/pond the other is on a travel corridor between a bedding and feeding area. Which area would be the most productive to put salt down? Thanks in advance.

The Dawg
06-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Between the water and bedding/feeding area, just off the corridor.

Sitkaspruce
06-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Bedding and feeding area. I had one near a water hole and I got way more picts at the water that the salt. They hit the salt but just did not see it as often.

I am a believer of between bedding and feeding, closer to bedding that feeding seems to get way more day pictures, which will become more important as the days get shorter into hunting season.

Cheers

SS

Ohwildwon
06-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Just below the Bush...

Bear Chaser
06-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Just below the Bush...

Lol. Makes sense.

.300WSMImpact!
06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Just below the Bush...

what if the bush has all been trimmed

Ohwildwon
06-18-2015, 08:16 PM
what if the bush has all been trimmed

Then your not out in the wild!

Ourea
06-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Bedding and feeding area. I had one near a water hole and I got way more picts at the water that the salt. They hit the salt but just did not see it as often.

I am a believer of between bedding and feeding, closer to bedding that feeding seems to get way more day pictures, which will become more important as the days get shorter into hunting season.

Cheers

SS

Im with SS.

Having said that, every spot has so many differences and nuances.
Being "tight" to bedding areas will give u the most opportunity for intel that will give u the best potential huntable hrs and thus opportunity as SS stated. That also comes with some game ending risk.

Big variable being that if you cant sneak into ur blind, based on ur cam intel, without a high risk of stinking out and spooking deer....major mistake. (wind direction 101)
Know ur wind direction at all times and under all situations.
Basic stuff but many overlook it

Regardless of what species u hunt...the closer u hunt them to their bedroom...the more u need to be acutely aware that a minor mistake can have a major negative effect long term.
Its a risk reward scenario.
Animals are hyper sensitive to being busted out of their bedroom.

U can literally "kill" an awesome spot hunting too tight to a bedding area if ur not aware and careful.
Pick ur spot wisely if ur tight is my message.

Wishing you success!

browningboy
06-18-2015, 10:19 PM
For 5 bucks each or whatever put one at each location

aggiehunter
06-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Ourea...I can`t believe you haven`t invested in a hat mounted Ozonics smell reducing device yet.....cheesh man.....they are definitely the cats pajam`s.....

hunter1947
06-23-2015, 04:55 AM
Can be put in the timber if you have some seeing length or a tree stand or open slash near the timber line..