PDA

View Full Version : Bonanza FSR closed (West kootenays 4-09)

palmer
06-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Hey any of you west kootenay boys know why they closed Bonanza FSR rd at about 5km...I have been hunting it for 35years...and now rocks across the road and a painted rock saying closed....

Jagermeister
06-16-2015, 03:20 PM
G/O doesn't want you in there anymore. Probably illegally blocking the road.
Check with MLFNRO for reason. 1 800 663-7867

Brez
06-16-2015, 03:30 PM
G/O doesn't want you in there anymore. Probably illegally blocking the road.
Check with MLFNRO for reason. 1 800 663-7867

I don't believe there are any G/O's operating in that area.......but good try at stirring things up.

dakoda62
06-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Pull the rocks aside if you can

palmer
06-16-2015, 05:07 PM
I can do that...but maybe they have a right to block the road...?

Slinky Pickle
06-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Being an owner of property that is surrounded by crown land and is posted as private, I can relate somewhat.

A quick check of very available information shows that there is private property about 5km up Bonanza FSR at 49°11'26.23"N and 118° 4'39.12"W. Before you start moving rocks you might want to check into things a bit more.

Right about here.... https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.1905719,-118.0746251,618m/data=!3m1!1e3

Jagermeister
06-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Just because someone has some titled land up that road or any other does not give them the right to block an FSR. That's all we need is more pseudo land barons trying the DLCC schtick

Drillbit
06-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Just spent a bit of time looking and couldn't find it.

It has always been my understanding that a road or trail cannot be blocked from the public if it is/has been an existing road or trail that allowed public access.

I thought it was in the "trail act" of BC but can't find it yet.....

Lost of access being blocked off down there.

Can't believe any signs you see, you always have to check nowadays to make sure they are bona-fide. Lot's of phoney's.

Brez
06-16-2015, 11:57 PM
Just because someone has some titled land up that road or any other does not give them the right to block an FSR. That's all we need is more pseudo land barons trying the DLCC schtick

but...I thought they were "G/Os"???

BgBlkDg
06-17-2015, 03:58 AM
Before getting into a typical snarkfest with some here, just call the BCFS, who will have the current info. on this and all LEGAL road closures. They, DO sometimes use boulders, concrete berms, etc, to close roads before installing the usual locked yellow gate, but, this might be a local who is trying to keep things for himself.

The Kootenays, is a real PITA for this and I encountered it last fall, was adamant with some guy about access on a road I worked up before he was born and got the access without any real difficulty.

If, it IS a GO, report it to the FS and local CO and move the rocks, but, I suspect the landowner is responsible. Do things legally so they have no issues to base a request for legal blockade on.

jacksondog
06-17-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm from Fruitvale and tried getting up there on the 12th of June, looks like someone went up with a dump truck a dumped the rocks, definately looks suspicious to me. There is a piece of plywood that has " warning road will be blocked" as well, I'm sure there would be a gate if it was legit. This is closing access to several km's of branch roads in addition the the main raod and access to Mt St Thomas. Having said that I heard(not from an official source) that this road was built into a section of private property and that there is a plan to rebuild a section of the road around this property??? Whos knows but I will dig into it a little more.

BgBlkDg
06-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Please do as this is an on-going and crucial issue in much of our BC.

I just commented on the ridiculous closure of the old Great Northern roadbed now in effect on the Nelson Star website and was slagged by two newcomers to the area, one a foreigner......

Then, another posted that the new marina proposed as a part of the re-development of the old KFP lands in Nelson, was not beneficial due to the "canoe and kayak culture" on Kootenay Lake.......so many "eggspurts" invading the Kootenays and no respect for we whose families founded and built the region.

We need to get serious about access to Crown Lands, as the azzholian minority want to have it all their way........

Slinky Pickle
06-17-2015, 08:02 AM
There are multiple "levels" of forest service roads (now referred to as Resource Roads). My property has a surveyed and gazetted FSR through it and that is wide open to the public. However, the spur roads that branch off it are not public and I have them gated. In my case I have granted easements to the forest company to create the spur but it is in no way a public road.

I'm not saying that the Kootenay property is legally blocked. I'm just saying that there many different "road" types and just because it's there doesn't mean it's for public access. More investigation is required.

Machinist
06-17-2015, 08:11 AM
I am a Member of The Mission and District Rod and Gun Club, At our last meeting we had a report from our BCWF rep , and this road closure buisness is becoming more and more prevelant in the Province , our rep was instermental in having a road re - opened in the Greenwood area that went into an area that he hunted in for years , it was illegally blocked by a farmer and after a lot of talks with the Govt and local authorities he was able to get it re opened , the biggest road block was enforcement he was saying , they just keep passing the buck , from the Govt , to Rcmp etc typical Bc govt !! We also had the Fellow from the Nicola Valley club give us a report on their struggles with the Douglas Lake cattle company and their road / lake closures , this is going to become a huge issue in the Province for us who like to access the back country , it effects not only hunters , Hikers , Campers , off road rec vechicle users etc , As residents of this Province we should really be up in arms about or rites to access our Crown Land , Don't just be a Key Board Warrior , Joint you local Gun Club, Write to you MLA start fighting back
** I have ** or the next time you go into you favorite hunting spot you to may run into a GATE!!

Jagermeister
06-17-2015, 01:00 PM
brez said,
but...I thought they were "G/Os"???

happy to see that I got under your skin. just another way to smoke a g/o out into the open.

Putting that aside.

It may be someone has a grow op or two or more happening in that area. With the north Shuswap under close scrutiny, those that grow may be looking for other plantation sites.

Jagermeister
06-17-2015, 01:43 PM
I know, I know. This is it. A g/o is supplementing his income with a grow.

Brez
06-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Jag, You are a bugger!

Could be privately owned logging company. A few properties are changing hands in the area.

Fisher-Dude
06-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Well, you know, what with the crying on the phone and the divorces, and guy has to do what a guy has to do to make ends meet. God knows 40% of resident hunters' animals isn't enough to keep afloat!

If someone were stealing your unattended, running truck in Surrey and ruining your barbecue time with a laser, you might just join the potheads, too! :D

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

BgBlkDg
06-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Go get em, FD, you crack me up, but, wish you were not SO right on!

Jagermeister
06-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Watch out! We're slipping sideways. Good thing bearvalley has me on his ignore list. And as Gilda Radner would say Mike, "Never mind!".

If someone were stealing your unattended
Hey FD, are we talking plants or pin cushion here? or both?

Monashee
06-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Not sure if the Christina Crest trail gets much use , but the hikers / mountain bikers might be interested if the road is closed

http://www.christinalake.com/visit-us/recreation-guide/item/christina-crest-trail

Sofa King
06-18-2015, 02:15 PM
it ain't Douglas Lake Ranch, they woulda gated the thing.

palmer
06-18-2015, 03:03 PM
What is does do it cut off the trip over MT ST Thomas. You used to be able go over and come out on top. The crest trail does not go all the way through yet...its a work in progress

honda1
11-07-2015, 09:30 AM
I was in there lastnight and seen these rocks i talked to a few logger buddies of mine who said mitchell logging guys put them out for there own hunting ground . Absolute bs on a hill now with snow and no where to turn around ended up being a suicide mission. They work for adco lumber and should be forced to go back and remove that mess before someone gets killed.

Brez
11-07-2015, 09:55 AM
. The crest trail does not go all the way through yet...its a work in progress
Unfortunately. We didn't need a trail "back in the day" and could find our game. What ever happened to walking? Just asking. Sorry, but I'm not for all of these trails (Seven Summits, Christina Crest, etc.). If you want to hike, then hike. Don't need a baby-stroller accessible style trail to do so. Pristine alpine should be just that and wintering grounds should be protected. It's bad enough that all of the logging roads have make access too easy. All new ones should be put to bed as well. I'm sure that this will make me very popular.

Salty
11-07-2015, 10:10 AM
I was in there lastnight and seen these rocks i talked to a few logger buddies of mine who said mitchell logging guys put them out for there own hunting ground . Absolute bs on a hill now with snow and no where to turn around ended up being a suicide mission. They work for adco lumber and should be forced to go back and remove that mess before someone gets killed.

Best to call min of Forests or whatever they call themselves anymore and report this information. If its true I'm sure a call to the boss from the forest service would straighten things out.

BgBlkDg
11-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately. We didn't need a trail "back in the day" and could find our game. What ever happened to walking? Just asking. Sorry, but I'm not for all of these trails (Seven Summits, Christina Crest, etc.). If you want to hike, then hike. Don't need a baby-stroller accessible style trail to do so. Pristine alpine should be just that and wintering grounds should be protected. It's bad enough that all of the logging roads have make access too easy. All new ones should be put to bed as well. I'm sure that this will make me very popular.

The ISSUE here is the closure of a LEGAL access road by someone who does so sans the appropriate permission from the BCFS, this is simply NOT acceptable.

I have seen this in the Kootenays since the mid-60s, when Yankee draftdodgers and now their spawn, decided to block roads we had used for decades. Since, I was in the BCFS at the time, I was also able to witness the reaction by senior staff to such illegal behaviour.

Road closures for conservation, safety or other legitimate reasons are a different issue.

Jagermeister
11-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm getting to the conclusion that you might be involved with the rock blockage. One of those "divine right people" who want to Lord it over the rest of us!

Brez
11-07-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm getting to the conclusion that you might be involved with the rock blockage. One of those "divine right people" who want to Lord it over the rest of us!
Oh, come on!!! I quoted on the Christina Crest issue, not the possible illegal blockage. I am against illegal blockage, but for restricted access for conservation. I am sorry if I'm derailing the thread. Will stop right now.

palmer
11-07-2015, 09:24 PM

If you read the quote you used, you would know it had nothing to do with hunting access. Someone asked if it cut off hiking trails and to get THEM (hikers) involved. I was simply saying that the Christine Crest hiking trail does not go all the way from Santa Rosa to Fife yet. so this did not stop hiking. You cannot drive any part of the Christina lake trail

Drillbit
11-08-2015, 12:18 AM

If that's the case, they should be hung right after re-openning the road.