PDA

View Full Version : TLC for bear skull that's been out in nature for 4 weeks

caddisguy
06-15-2015, 10:28 AM
We were out on the weekend checking in with the trailcams. We decided to visit the spot where we got our bear this year. At the time, we opted to pack out only the meat which kept us busy until 12:30AM as it was. Not much was left, just a few bones scattered around, but I happened to find the top of the skull and half of the lower jaw. Might find the other half next time we're up there.

I'm not sure what kind of TLC it needs if any, perhaps just some cleaning? It's a little fractured up, as it ended up being a close range head shot and it's probably been munched on by all sorts of critters in addition to being exposed to sun, moisture, temperature swings, etc.

I was thinking some mild soap and a brush, then drying thoroughly with a hair dryer would do the job? I don't need to get it white or anything.

srupp
06-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Dawn soap detergent...

Scrub brush...
Can soak it for 5 hours in soap...let dry completely in sunlight put chicken wire no bird thiefs..
Gel crazy glue..
Steven

Tīɡ
06-15-2015, 08:00 PM
No insight on skull care from me due too lack of experience, but what about a write-up and some pics of your bear?! :D

caddisguy
06-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Lol trailcam vids up in the Members Pics/Vids post as you noticed. Here's some teaser pics of our boar and the product of our midnight butcher and next-day vacuum packing efforts. It was quite an ordeal due to our inexperience, darkness, distance from jeep and other bears around. I'm aiming to have the write-up and headcam footage up next weekend *fingers crossed* ... the video is really tricky because it's a gopro-like camera (wide screen, fish eye) and it's pretty shakey. Since it's not actually a gopro, I can't de-fisheye in GoPro Studio... hoping to find another way. De-fisheye or not, I'm going to get the framing/cropping done soon and get it posted. I'm probably over-selling it. I'll do the best I can.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/1b8b0f7b-d0fa-4482-a712-5f59beafd847_zpsjsl6c6fg.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/P5210093_zpsyqkne6wj.jpg

caddisguy
06-15-2015, 09:05 PM
^^^ been eating on this for a month now and hardly put a dent in it... doctor said my cholesterol is a bit high and from my understanding bear is very low in cholesterol. All the garlic we cook it with probably helps too!! Now I just need a prescription for ammo and gas :)

Tīɡ
06-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Sounds good man! Congrats!!

tigrr
06-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Nice paw! My bear was cut into 23 4-7lb roasts, with 2 little bags of stew meat. I cut all the fat off I could and de-boned it all. 95lbs of yum.
1 liter of beef broth, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and salt & pepper and slow cook a 250 F for 8 hours. Works for pulled bear too.