PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hatch?

OKsean
06-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Anyone know when grouse chicks typically hatch? Thinking of heading out to a couple of my honey holes soon to check out this years' crop. Thanks!

bwhnter
06-14-2015, 04:52 PM
My son was watching a nest and it hatched a couple of days agoe. 9 out of 9 hatched. Was talking with the biologist here in fsj about it and she said typically in middle of June. Another factor in a good crop is minimal rain in june and first couple weeks in july until the have their feathers.

Gateholio
06-14-2015, 07:17 PM
I've seen a few hens with chicks recently.

Summit 512
06-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I have not seen any hens with chicks yet but I did hear some roosters drumming on my last fishing trip to Tsacha lake.

horshur
06-15-2015, 05:26 PM
seen chicks two weeks ago..little buggers

Foxton Gundogs
06-15-2015, 05:30 PM
I have seen some nice broods, the largest being a doz. by actual count

itsy bitsy xj
06-15-2015, 11:16 PM
I was up in Skagit Valley today for the last day of spring bear (saw nothing) but I did see 4 or 5 grouce at the side of the road . Its a good sign

Macnbro
06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Saw a nice fat grouse near port Alberni the other day. Dog was pretty amped to get out and sniff out some more. No chicks around, but Ax seemed pretty sure there were other birds around.

OKsean
06-17-2015, 07:40 AM
It certainly has been dry, that should bode well for survival rates I would think. Haven't got out yet but plan on taking a couple hikes soon.

caddisguy
06-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I was up in Skagit Valley today for the last day of spring bear (saw nothing) but I did see 4 or 5 grouce at the side of the road . Its a good sign

Saw a few does with fawns up there on Saturday and on the way out on Sunday, had mother hen run across the road in front of us. There was no one behind me, so I was able to stop briefly as to not run her over... then we watched 7 little cheepers zip across the road, pretty much one at a time. Each one I'm thinking... are they done?! They have definitely hatched around here.

Iron Glove
06-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Saw a few does with fawns up there on Saturday and on the way out on Sunday, had mother hen run across the road in front of us. There was no one behind me, so I was able to stop briefly as to not run her over... then we watched 7 little cheepers zip across the road, pretty much one at a time. Each one I'm thinking... are they done?! They have definitely hatched around here.

That's good news, hoping to get out this year for grouse near to home.

B-rad
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Last year was awesome year for blues and ruffies,,,,,,I been seeing lots of birds in any direction of Kamloops,,,,,,tons of blues again this year I think just like last year,,,,,,should be awesome year for birding

hare_assassin
06-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Last year was awesome year for blues and ruffies,,,,,,I been seeing lots of birds in any direction of Kamloops,,,,,,tons of blues again this year I think just like last year,,,,,,should be awesome year for birding

Yep. We at a few. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to a repeat!

EricPaul
06-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Went for a cruise mid island and saw 4 grouse on the road within an hour with about 5 chicks each, about the size of a plum. They'll be nearly as big as their moms by September. Last year was decent and this year should be even better, with a nice dry spring.

Gumsehwah
06-22-2015, 01:21 PM
They are starting to make a showing up here in the NorthWest. Everything is all strangely out of season with the weather as of late, but there they are.

Shooed several off the road. It really pissed me off when I shooed one off onto the shoulder, then some douchebag actually swerved to hit it while I was standing there. There's all sorts here in the Nass Valley. :-(

caddisguy
06-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Weather has been favorable and looks like it will continue to be favorable for the little cheepers. Second year in a row! Mild winter good for last years fawns and dry weather good so far this year. Ticks were crappy and fires might bad though. Hoping to see a few more Region 2 grouse in the fall.

horshur
06-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Went for a cruise mid island and saw 4 grouse on the road within an hour with about 5 chicks each, about the size of a plum. They'll be nearly as big as their moms by September. Last year was decent and this year should be even better, with a nice dry spring.

they are on there second clutch....chicks have flew the roost.

Wentrot
06-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Weather has been favorable and looks like it will continue to be favorable for the little cheepers. Second year in a row! Mild winter good for last years fawns and dry weather good so far this year. Ticks were crappy and fires might bad though. Hoping to see a few more Region 2 grouse in the fall.

Saw an absolute hammer of a grouse the other night. Few others around as well. Lookin good

lip_ripper00
06-25-2015, 09:17 AM
they are on there second clutch....chicks have flew the roost.

is it possable for a third clutch, or chicks from the first having a clutch before summers end?

Iron Glove
06-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Have seen lots of adults right behind our Tulameen cabin this weekend.
Rarely ever see them this close.
If they hang around 'till the Fall I might be able to go from cabin to River and back to the BBQ with dinner in under 5 minutes. :)

horshur
06-28-2015, 03:51 PM
is it possable for a third clutch, or chicks from the first having a clutch before summers end?

I don't know ...but if it were possible this is the year....the second clutch grouse I am seeing are spruce...and the blue cocks been putting on a show this week so the blues are headed for second clutch

Daybreak
06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
This Ruffed appears to have her chicks well on their way.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/logonphoto/IMG_3502_zps0fn8liop.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/logonphoto/media/IMG_3502_zps0fn8liop.jpg.html)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/logonphoto/IMG_3497_zpspi2uhs2y.jpg (http://s283.photobucket.com/user/logonphoto/media/IMG_3497_zpspi2uhs2y.jpg.html)

TARCHER
06-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Been seeing some good looking chicks around. This warm dry spring means chicks everywhere?

OKsean
06-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Haven't made it out to my grouse holes yet but I've been seeing lots of big broods of quail down at the lower elevations. Cool pics BTW.

albravo2
06-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Tuesday I was blasting down a local FSR and saw a dozen hens with good broods. Friday/Saturday went back down the same road and didn't see one. I had to check the regs to make sure the season hadn't opened because that is usually how my luck goes.

Is there more than one breeding season? I could hear cocks calling non-stop the whole time I was fishing. Wondering if there is a second breeding season for hens that didn't take in the first.

field marshal
08-01-2015, 04:26 PM
When are you guys going to clue in?
Grouse have one brood per year unless they lose ALL of their chicks from the first hatch.
Every year we hear the same nonsense about two hatches in one year.
Small chicks in September are the result of a hen nesting again after losing her initial brood.
Cheers ----- Field Marshal.

EmJayBee
08-24-2015, 02:04 PM
It has been a wet month in Terrace...a "someone" told me that Grouse numbers will be low....better luck out in Smithers Hazelton area.

Murder
08-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Saw 8 or more in a covey near say ward yesterday