PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Scenario Question

Cosmonewt
06-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi there Seasoned Hunters

I am Long time browser, first time poster, and a complete novice hunter that just got all licensed up this year. Got my 30-06, truc, and ready to go hunting black bear this spring. Been out few times (Nahalatch, anderson creek, and valleys in Coquihalla). I've been trying to follow much of the rules for hunting black bears but having very limited success. I've been out about 4 times now and the last time (last weekend) was the most positive experience where we actually saw a black bear just as sun was setting. It was in a valley off Coquihalla and as we turned the corner, we saw the bear on a small hill. As soon as we turned the corner, the bear ran off. We quickly got out of our truck, and walked up to that hill. That hill had lots of deer scat and even fresh bear scat. It was a sweet hill that overlooked a small portion of the valley with creeks and such, so we thought it would be a good idea next day to go up there and glass for a while. We did, nothing.

So my thought was that tonight, we'll go back and NOT hunt off that same hill. That day when we were on that hill glassing we saw few deers. However, I remembered that all the deers that we saw, were already looking at us, and it makes me think that hill makes you very visible. So plan is to go back tonight, hike up a neighboring hill (slightly more elevated) and position myself to hunt the first hill. I suspect animals may very well use that first hill to scout and look at surroundings, hence all the scat on it.

I put a lot of thought into it and this is the best strat I can think of. It'll be my last outing this spring and want to make it count. I come to you guys in hopes you will review my strat and critique it. Oh yeah, i bought scent killer spray... gimmick? or Must?

Thank you guys, this is a pretty awsome community.

Gateholio
06-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Your plan is sound if the wind is correct. Remember scent starts to drop as the temperature cools, rises as it heats up. Scent spray is a gimmick.

Fella
06-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Pay attention to the wind for sure and if you have to move do so slowly.

HarryToolips
06-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Pay attention to the wind for sure and if you have to move do so slowly.
Like he said...and parking your ass on the other hill sounds like a good idea...find greened up de-activated roads, find sign, and you will find bears..I don't know about where your hunting, but here in the Okanagan lately it's been too hot to shoot anything, I suggest taking mental note of creeks, because when ya shoot it, gut it quick then get it in the creek for an hour or two to cool the whole bear down to prevent bone sour when it's this hot out..

325 wsm
06-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Get up there and use fawn in distress predator call, does wii come into it to, take the time to identify anything that comes in, watch for cubs straggling behind.