PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies in Region 8

GoatGuy
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Anyone out black bear hunting in Region 8 should be aware grizzlies are everywhere on the east side of OK lake - expect to see them close to people. Be careful IDing before you shoot.

monasheemountainman
06-10-2015, 09:54 AM
did you see some?

boxhitch
06-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Sounds like there is more to the story ?

monasheemountainman
06-10-2015, 01:01 PM
ya I am intrigued...

358mag
06-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Sounds like there is more to the story ?

Maybe be a grizzly in the chicken coupe ????:shock:

adriaticum
06-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Hey Kootenays are only a couple hundred K east, no surprise.

monasheemountainman
06-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Hey Kootenays are only a couple hundred K east, no surprise.
there are grizzlies here that's for sure, but he is saying lots, so we are just curious what the story is.

GoatGuy
06-10-2015, 01:58 PM
There used to be one more then there is now.

monasheemountainman
06-10-2015, 02:02 PM
oh don't be like that, wtf happened?!!!

Wrj
06-10-2015, 02:16 PM
In for story...^^^

HarryToolips
06-10-2015, 02:19 PM
I do most of my hunting on the west side of OK lake, has anyone ever seen one on the 'west' side of reg 8?? I've seen a few that made me suspicious, but they were usually gone before I could get a closer look..

hare_assassin
06-10-2015, 02:31 PM

If what GoatGuy isn't saying isn't obvious enough... well... never mind.

adriaticum
06-10-2015, 02:43 PM
OK GoatGuy spill the beans

ruger#1
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM
I do most of my hunting on the west side of OK lake, has anyone ever seen one on the 'west' side of reg 8?? I've seen a few that made me suspicious, but they were usually gone before I could get a closer look..

8-05 Kump lake, Goose lake Area, Pike mountain. Seen one, And also gotten a conformation from one of the guys that service the parks. He said there are three in that area.

Sofa King
06-10-2015, 03:28 PM
pike mt, aspen grove.
and if i've seen them there, then they could surely be pretty much anywhere in the area.

Liveforthehunt
06-10-2015, 03:47 PM
This is no surprise to me I have had over a handful on my cams the past few years. I would like to hear the story though ?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Have seen them up Jack Creek and near a Cresent lake. A friend just saw one near Hathume

monasheemountainman
06-10-2015, 05:03 PM
I was pretty sure I saw one near Hathume in 2011. I had a moose draw and was hiking up a hill, towards a moose, wind blowing straight in my face... moose took off and I was like wtf there is no way it saw/winded me....get to the top and see a big brown fuzzy ass running away I was like damn that looks like a G bear....

scoutlt1
06-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I saw one about 4 years ago a little ways east of OK Falls, and another one, recently, west of Peachland/south of the connector (just south of Whitehead lake).

They are out there for sure.

Fisher-Dude
06-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Stay out of region 8. The grizzly bears there will rip your face off.

Liveforthehunt
06-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Stay out of region 8. The grizzly bears there will rip your face off.

Haha yes I saw 2 large ones together on the road and I no longer have a face ;)

Fred1
06-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Ashton creek, Brash creek, kettle, trinity, bobbie burns, Mable, Aberdeen, Ida mountain, deep creek, whitemans creek, douglas lake, Arthur lake, silver star, harris creek, hidden lake, soverign lakes, and a few others I cant quite place, all within the last year. Even had a sow and cub out of Armstrong on sleepy hollow road last July. If you are in the forest they are there too - don't kid yourself...
Oh and watch your face!

palmer
06-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Seen a few in 8-15 this year...they are all still walking around as far as I know

Liveforthehunt
06-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Ashton creek, Brash creek, kettle, trinity, bobbie burns, Mable, Aberdeen, Ida mountain, deep creek, whitemans creek, douglas lake, Arthur lake, silver star, harris creek, hidden lake, soverign lakes, and a few others I cant quite place, all within the last year. Even had a sow and cub out of Armstrong on sleepy hollow road last July. If you are in the forest they are there too - don't kid yourself...
Oh and watch your face!
Oh great you just spouted out my 13 honey holes lol.

270ruger
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Oh great you just spouted out my 13 honey holes lol.
Yup lots in region 8 now I've seen it jump to about 50% Grizzly sightings now when I'm out scouting.Saw four grizzlies in different areas in region 8,getting a magazine extension for the 870 when using it as backup during bow season.Always better to have it and not need it,you know the rest.

Wrayzer
06-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Yes I have seen photos of a hog of a grizzer a buddy came across in the same cut block he was walking through towards Big White, no shortage there. And youd be surprised how close into town from there they are venturing. Goudie, Philpot, Postill etc. etc..

curt
06-10-2015, 10:56 PM
seen a sow grizz with 2 cubs about 10 yrs ago behind davis lake just off the cold water 110% sure it was grizz they are everywhere now

HarryToolips
06-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Have seen them up Jack Creek and near a Cresent lake. A friend just saw one near Hathume
crazy, Jack Crk is where I saw a young bear that definitely had the characteristics of a griz..

hardnocks
06-11-2015, 04:34 AM
anyone bow hunting bears in cornfields . be careful ran into a couple grizz in grindrod.

Andy83
06-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Ran into a big one up Goudie back in 2008.

325 wsm
06-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Apparently they can suck the brains right out of HBC members once they get closer than 200 meters.

Fisher-Dude
06-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Apparently they can suck the brains right out of HBC members once they get closer than 200 meters.

I've heard that too. Once that happens, they become sheep guides.

wideopenthrottle
06-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I've heard that too. Once that happens, they become sheep guides.

now that was an awesome comeback....

Phreddy
06-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I've seen them way in behind Copper Mtn, off Willis Creek, and I know of several sightings by reliable sources up in the Tulameen area.

Salty
06-12-2015, 08:48 PM
I saw one last year less than 2 kms from highway 6 and close to quite a few houses in 8-23 I was surprised as hell. I've wonder if these closer to town bears are dining on grazing lease cattle? Can't think of a lot of other chow for them in semi arid country like that..

Fella
06-12-2015, 09:42 PM
seen a sow grizz with 2 cubs about 10 yrs ago behind davis lake just off the cold water 110% sure it was grizz they are everywhere now
Yep you're not wrong. They've been seen on both sides of the Coq near that area.

GoatGuy
06-12-2015, 09:45 PM
I saw one last year less than 2 kms from highway 6 and close to quite a few houses in 8-23 I was surprised as hell. I've wonder if these closer to town bears are dining on grazing lease cattle? Can't think of a lot of other chow for them in semi arid country like that..

Don't think any of them have been hard on cattle (the wolves have mind you). A few of the grizz ended up breaking into people's freezers, garbage etc pretty quick over the years. They don't tend to last long.

KtownBobby
06-13-2015, 12:50 AM
I've got a phone video of a sow and 2 cubs from 2 years ago, and then me driving up on 2 playing in the same area NEAR Kelowna's east side. And I came across a big boar, who's ass was almost as big as our f150

mr eagle
06-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Saw one in 8-6 two years ago feeding on a dead deer. Not sure if the grizz killed it, or found it.

Iron Glove
06-13-2015, 07:51 AM
I've seen them way in behind Copper Mtn, off Willis Creek, and I know of several sightings by reliable sources up in the Tulameen area.

Nah, no grizzlies near Tulameen, at least that's what we were told a few years back when they had a presentation about reintroducing grizzlies to the area.
As the BC Parks guy was saying this there were a number of old fellers in the crowd who rolled their eyes at the "there are none" comment. :roll:
They saw them frequently and expressed the opinion that they really didn't appreciate Parks moving more into the area.
We crossed the Tulameen a few years later, right behind our place walking our dog and the neighbour's Labs.
Maybe half a km from our place, I look up the trail we are on and lo and behold, maybe 100 metres away there was a young grizzly looking at us.
Called the dogs and quickly headed back to the river.
Yup, there's grizzlies around Tulameen.

Fisher-Dude
06-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Saw one in 8-22 that was chasing a heifer up the road, right at the truck.

Bear bails over the bank, and the dumbass cow decides to follow it.

Mind you, that was 40+ years ago, but I know they're still around that area.

Saw a sow with 2 cubs a few years back in 8-14, and have seen much sign in 8-12.

snareman1234
06-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Government is undertaking a large-scale inventory of grizzly bears in 8-14 and 8-15 this year. A large effort to enumerate bears on the eastern range margin of the Okanagan "extirpation zone". Approximately 8,000km^2 will be inventoried. DNA-based mark-recapture, so results will not be finalized until a year or so after the data has been collected as genotyping take some time. Stay tuned for empirical estimates of grizzly density for this portion of region 8

06-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Government is undertaking a large-scale inventory of grizzly bears in 8-14 and 8-15 this year. A large effort to enumerate bears on the eastern range margin of the Okanagan "extirpation zone". Approximately 8,000km^2 will be inventoried. DNA-based mark-recapture, so results will not be finalized until a year or so after the data has been collected as genotyping take some time. Stay tuned for empirical estimates of grizzly density for this portion of region 8

That's great! I can't wait to hear the results

Salmon Belly
06-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Saw a sow grizz and cub near Tulameen two years ago. They're in there, no doubt at all.

SB

270ruger
06-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Saw a young grizzly today while heading up to Solco Lake early this morning,not very big though,probably a two or three year old.

Daybreak
06-13-2015, 08:41 PM
201 behind Big White, friend who works in forestry has seen 2 sows this year. First had 3, yes 3, cubs and the second had just the one.

angus5024
06-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Ive seen a few over the last few years, and due to work I don't get many days afield.
I saw one that was about 7km as the crow flies from Winfield, not far off beaver lake road. It was munching on the last half of a bovine calf (kinda sad, mamma cow wouldn't leave). Called the C.O's and they weren't too concerned. That bear has been around that area for some time apparently.

boxhitch
06-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Government is undertaking a large-scale inventory of grizzly bears in 8-14 and 8-15 this year. A large effort to enumerate bears on the eastern range margin of the Okanagan "extirpation zone". Approximately 8,000km^2 will be inventoried. DNA-based mark-recapture, so results will not be finalized until a year or so after the data has been collected as genotyping take some time. Stay tuned for empirical estimates of grizzly density for this portion of region 8Another BS study. The Gov doesn't know what to do with most of the data they have now , and when they get an idea the funds aren't available.
Let some thesis builder do the work , but don't tie up the Gov office.

HarryToolips
06-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Another BS study. The Gov doesn't know what to do with most of the data they have now , and when they get an idea the funds aren't available.
LOL no doubt...yet they can't afford to do inventory on our moose pops in reg 8 and see that we can have a better and longer spike fork season than we're getting now..

Ourea
06-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Another BS study. The Gov doesn't know what to do with most of the data they have now , and when they get an idea the funds aren't available.

Box, disappointed with ur statement.
I truly appreciate ur perspective and comments on this site as a valued contributor......but not this one. (all do respect)

We've got a peer respected keener out there involved in full scale research and documentation of grizzly bears who just took the time to share insight on a project.....somewhat privileged insight I might add.

I think any member of HBC should encourage someone contributing this type/level of information.
To respond in a way that may discourage further contribution.....mistake.

This site needs to encourage parties than can raise the bar of contribution.....not discourage it.

Red_Mist
06-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Ive seen a few over the last few years, and due to work I don't get many days afield.
I saw one that was about 7km as the crow flies from Winfield, not far off beaver lake road. It was munching on the last half of a bovine calf (kinda sad, mamma cow wouldn't leave). Called the C.O's and they weren't too concerned. That bear has been around that area for some time apparently.

seen them in that area and lots of sign. i think the closest LEH is monashee 8.23 though

Gateholio
06-14-2015, 12:34 AM

Fantastic. They have been doing similar studies in this area for some time, it's rewarded us with far more data than expected. It's a great program.

Walking Buffalo
06-14-2015, 07:13 AM
Box, disappointed with ur statement.
I truly appreciate ur perspective and comments on this site as a valued contributor......but not this one. (all do respect)

We've got a peer respected keener out there involved in full scale research and documentation of grizzly bears who just took the time to share insight on a project.....somewhat privileged insight I might add.

I think any member of HBC should encourage someone contributing this type/level of information.
To respond in a way that may discourage further contribution.....mistake.

This site needs to encourage parties than can raise the bar of contribution.....not discourage it.

This is so true and not just from a forum perspective but for the the sake of hunting as a whole, which I am sure is what you are alluding too. In today's competitive regulatory and political landscape between hunting and anti-hunting agendas there is an absolute need for this kind of data for without this knowledge hunting will not have a leg to stand on. One just needs to look at Alberta to understand how a lack of research will end hunting opportunity and cause hardship for stakeholders when there is no empirical data to support population estimates.

With this in mind, I hope the research project is well funded and supported to meet the needed scale of effort required to acquire a valid analysis. Carpet bombing the research area with a high density of hair collection sites is a daunting task but necessary to obtain a true population estimate. Anything less than a very high trap density equates to great underestimations of population densities. Again, we can look at Alberta to see how a poorly funded and weakly strategized bear study can turn into a nightmare for managing grizzly bears.

Fisher-Dude
06-14-2015, 08:23 AM

Someone give boxhitch the Midol.

I know the researcher personally and have full confidence in his abilities.

Wrayzer
06-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Itd be interesting to read the inventory reports once it is all completed.

Any idea on how sustainable or how large the population needs to be to open any more LEH in M.Us other than 8-23?

wiggy
06-14-2015, 08:55 AM
I've seen 17 gb in one year in 8. Had a 600 lb bruin walk right across my driveway
last year was the first time I saw a white kermode with 2 wht Cubs. Very cool and they were are in region 8

Stone Sheep Steve
06-14-2015, 10:37 AM
I kind of understand what boxhitch is saying. Funds are stretched so thin in the past decade that basic wildlife inventories are completely lacking. When is the last time we had a complete mule deer survey in region 8? And as a result there is so much in-fighting in the hunting community it is rediculous. We need some solid science to either make changes or leave things as they are with confidence.

I'm all for inventorying region 8 grizzly bears and support the person doing it. In an ideal world we would have triple the regional staff and up to date inventories on all species in every regions.......but......

GoatGuy
06-14-2015, 10:46 AM
1) There's enough $$ for the grizz census.

2) Agreed, hunters probably have other priorities. To unlock funding for those priorities hunters are going to continue to be active and to become more active in the political arena.

BRrooster
06-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Sounds like we need two things to happen in the Okanagan.
1. A more comprehensive and informative information guide for campers and general outdoors enthusiasts re: Grizzly Bear awareness and safety measures.
2.More LEH opportunities.