PDA

View Full Version : Advanced hunting course

mcmullmar
06-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Does anyone know of an advanced hunting/outdoor course in the lower mainland? Looking to take something with my son.

Steeleco
06-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Not sure the level of "advanced" your looking for, but there has been BCWF camps put on that covers all kinds of things, maybe contact Dale here on the site of the BCWF directly.

Ed George
06-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Region 2 of the BCWF puts on the New Hunter Boot Camp in September. Courses range from wall tents, shooting both rifles and shotguns to field dressing and skinning. Information is available from the Region 2 President Dale known here as fowl language.

​Hunting for Health not Heads

Wild one
06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Nothing beats a good mentor and it is impossible to just take a course and become a good hunter. The truth is there are so many different tactics and the way each species is hunted can be very different. A lot of things can only be learned from going out in the field and doing. I have been hunting for 23 years and I still learn new things every season if not every trip. I have even had many great mentors to help me along and in my mind this has been a huge help.

Hunting truly is a non stop learning process and you will not find a hunters who knows everything. Most are like my self they hold some knowledge but are always learning.

I am a strong believer there is nothing greater than spending time out hunting with an experienced hunter and time in the field with multiple mentors is even better.

Not nocking the course others are suggesting but if you are truly trying to advance your skills it will take time in the bush pursuing the species you wish to target.

mcmullmar
06-09-2015, 05:30 PM
I have been hunting for 40 years on and off, my son 4-5 years, we have been fairly successful. Looking for something fun informative, mainly bonding with my son, meeting other hunters.
Looking for something like, butcher, sausage making, survival....

GoatGuy
06-09-2015, 06:34 PM
eatwild.ca

Goreaxe
06-10-2015, 07:34 PM
I took the BCWF hunter bootcamp with my wife last September, it sounds like what you are looking for. My wife had no interest in hunting but came along mostly because I dragged her, we both had a blast. We shot rifles, shotguns, archery, butchered a cow and some geese, learned proper backpacking techniques, learned some first aid, talked to a fisheries officer, learn to drive a 4wheeler, learn to call geese and ducks, and lots more. It was a great atmosphere with good people, everyone shared hunting stories around a campfire, the amount of knowledge about hunting was pretty unreal. We had such a good time that I'm tempted to go back. Can't recommend it enough.

Edge
06-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Nothing beats a good mentor and it is impossible to just take a course and become a good hunter. The truth is there are so many different tactics and the way each species is hunted can be very different. A lot of things can only be learned from going out in the field and doing. I have been hunting for 23 years and I still learn new things every season if not every trip. I have even had many great mentors to help me along and in my mind this has been a huge help.

Hunting truly is a non stop learning process and you will not find a hunters who knows everything. Most are like my self they hold some knowledge but are always learning.

I am a strong believer there is nothing greater than spending time out hunting with an experienced hunter and time in the field with multiple mentors is even better.

Not nocking the course others are suggesting but if you are truly trying to advance your skills it will take time in the bush pursuing the species you wish to target.

I am so +1 on that....I'm 61 this year and I've been hunting since I shot my first rabbit at 8 yrs old back in the Maritimes...I've been activiely huniting on and off my whole life since then. When I was in my 30's I met an incredible bush man, ex guide, outfitter ..he was approx. 70 then and still hunting and actively running his trapline north of Ft St. John. I had the honour and privilege of meeting Wes Brown and being on a number of hunts with him spanning 20 yrs. He's passed on now but my point is that while courses are great and excellent starting points I also believe that mentors take us beyond that and one will learn from these great people with a wealth of practical experience. MY $.02

mcmullmar
06-11-2015, 06:43 AM
Goreaxe, that sounds like fun, which is what I'm looking for.
Eatwild is another good one thanks, goatguy.

I am being a mentor for my son, I agree thats the best way to go about it. I am looking for fun, bonding and to be able to meet new people.

Thanks everyone